IGNORED

From scratch to infection

Soovu

Me and a pal got off a baht bus next to some roadworks, he proceeded to jump across a 1ft gap and landed next to some new concrete curbing with some rusty spikes, he was going the wrong way so I called him back. As he jumped back he caught his ankle on one of the rusty spikes and scratched himself, he said it was a bit sore but he decided it was nothing.

Now, 6 weeks later after several trips to a UK hospital and daily dressing he is in trouble, sometimes it looks as though it might be healing and then it reverts to a nasty infected mess that stops him walking, driving etc. I was worried he was going to lose his leg at some points.

I told him several times immediately after the event to get it seen to, but he refused thinking it would go away with application of creams bought at the pharmacists in Pattaya. The upshot here being dont fuck around even with a scratch, especially from something rusty, get it seen to asap.

he probably got blood posioning. happend to me once from playing rugby on a field that was built over a rubbish tip. Once you get it, it takes months to get over.

Ask your friend if he has had a tetanus booster shot done? If not, a good idea after incidents involving rust.

Ask your friend if he has had a tetanus booster shot done? If not, a good idea after incidents involving rust.

My initial thought was tetanus as well. I'm covered for another 7 years.

Alan

Yes he is fully boosted for tetanus. Spoke with him today and he is 7 days into a 10 day course of synthetic penicillin, afterwhich he will need to see a vascular surgeon if this final course does not work, he thinks it may be gangrenous internally, although he does say the pain has eased a little. I didnt mention that he is a stage 2 diabetic, and the extremeties are very vulnerable anyway, even without severe infection, so he may lose his foot unless the next stage works.

Hope your mate recovers without any complications M8

health and SAFETY again!!

hope everything is ok m8

"no romance without finance"

Diabetes definitely is a factor. Is he insulin dependant? Best of luck and speedy recovery.

Diabetes definitely is a factor. Is he insulin dependant? Best of luck and speedy recovery.

No, he doesnt take insulin.

Thanks all for the kind wishes which I will pass on

• 2 months later...
No, he doesnt take insulin.

Thanks all for the kind wishes which I will pass on

It is a problem now, and only time will tell. If you get cut with something rusty..... go see a doctor.

I was walking down a street in BKK, bit drunk at the time, walked straight into a sign while looking to my left, cut my ear open. First thing I did was get home and clean it with vodka, all was fine. If anyone hurts themselves while out walking around, just pop into the local 7/11 and get a small bottle of spirits and give it a wash, best advice i can give!

It is a problem now, and only time will tell. If you get cut with something rusty..... go see a doctor.

Yes had the red line, left finger heading up my arm thank fuck I was smart to see a Doc no me