IGNORED

Tak Province

Braveheart

Tak (Thai: ตาก) is one of the northern provinces (changwat) of Thailand. The western edge of province has a long boundary with the Kayin State of Myanmar (Burma).

The Bhumibol Dam (named after king Bhumibol Adulyadej, the old name was Yanhee Dam) stops the river Ping, one of the two sources of the Chao Phraya river. The artificial lake created covers an area of 300 km

Tak is a northern province covering an area of 6,406 largely mountainous square kilometres. The provincial capital is 426 kilometres north of Bangkok, and is situated on the Ping river basin. To the west, the border touches on Myanmar demarcated by mountain ranges and the Moei River.

m_tak.jpg

Attractions

King Taksin the Great Shrine Located on Charot Withithong Road, this statue of Tak's most famous native son (1734-1782) is the site of an annual fair from December 28 until January 3. King Taksin was the Thai monarch who expelled the Burmese from Thailand after the 1767 destruction of Ayutthaya as the Thai capital.

Mani Banphot Swamp This scenic, extensive area within the heart of Tak city is located near Wat Mani Banphot on Phahonyothin Highway. Inside the temple, a Chiang Saen Buddha image dating from the late 1200's is enshrined.

Khao Tham Located in Tambon Mai Ngam, this 71-metre rocky hillock, near Phahonyothin Highway, contains replicas of the Lord Buddha's Footprint on the summit. Tak residents pay homage throughout the year, most particularly during Songkran, which marks the traditional Thai New Year each April 13.

Wat Phra Boromthat & Ancient Tak City This monastery, located 25 kilometres upstream, in Amphoe Ban Tak, in an area which used to be the former site of Tak city. pattaya. There are several ruins in the area, including a hilltop pagoda which was constructed, according to legend, by king Ramkhamhaeng of Sukhothai (reign 1275-1317) to commemorate his victory in single combat on elephant back against King Khun Sam Chon, the ruler of Muang Shot (currently Amphoe Mae Sot).

Bhumibol Dam Thailand's largest dam is located some 60 kilometres north of Tak city in Amphoe Sam Ngao, and dams the Mae Ping River. The extensive reservoir forms a picturesque lake that extends northwards to Chiang Mai's Hot districts. Accommodation is available at the dam.

Mae Ping Lake Cruises Popular cruises originate from the Bhumibol Dam to Chiang Mai's Doi Tao edging the dam reservoir,a total distance of 140 kilometres.

Lan Sang National Park Located on the Tak-Mae Sot Highway (Route 105), 17 kilometres from Tak city, and accessed by a 3-kilometres road, the park contains the scenic Lan Sang and Pha Phung waterfalls. Accommodation is available.

Taksin Maharat National Park Originally named Krabak Yai National Park, after the name of Thailand's biggest tree, this 37,250 acre national park is located 2 kilometres of the Tak-Mae Sot Highway, some 26 kilometres from Tak city. The mountainous area has several scenic viewpoints, evergreen forest, waterfalls and streams. Accommodation, primarily in the form of bungalows and campsites, is available.

Doi Musur Hilltribe Development & Welfare Centre Located on the road to Lan Sang Waterfall, the area is one in which Lahu, Lisu and Hmong hilltribes reside. Hilltribe products are for sale at Km. 29 on the Tak-Mae Sot Highway.

Mae Sot This riverside settlement on the Moei River, facing Myanmar on the opposite bank, and some 86 kilometres from Tak city, is well know for its shopping opportunities, especially for Burmese goods such as cloth lengths, gemstones and decorative items.

Tham Mae Usu This Cave, boasting notably beautiful stalactites and stalagmites, is located on the scenic Mae Soy-Mae Sariang Highway (Route 1085), at Km. 95-96. Pattaya ..It is necessary to ford the Mae Usu stream in front of the Cave to gain access.This may not be possible during the annual Rains Season (July through October).

I've got a friend that lives in ban tak

Good guy.

Nice place.

Member since Dec 06.

• 2 weeks later...

Tak province

Sea of fog

Sea of Fog Panorama

Arrival at Thi Lo Su waterfall in Tak province, Thailand.

This is my sort of holiday

The trip to Thee Lor Su.At "Tak" province of Thailand

• 3 months later...

I visited Tak by mistake. Me and my girlfriend came from Chayaphum and was planning to take the bus to Trat but my girlfriend ended up bying tickets to Tak, all signs are in thai, so i spend 3 days up there and it was pretty nice, good hotel that cost 350 bath i night.

• 1 month later...

The best time to visit Tak i found on trip to Sukothai is Loy Kratong ,the whole town has a festival and parade ending with thousands of lighted kratongs floating on river following the king and Queens giant kratong plus they send up hundreds of lighted ballons into the night sky its a great sight ,

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
The best time to visit Tak i found on trip to Sukothai is Loy Kratong ,the whole town has a festival and parade ending with thousands of lighted kratongs floating on river following the king and queens giant kratong plus they send up hundreds of lighted ballons into the night sky its a great sight ,

A good drive at anytime of year is from Maesot to Umphang..I had the pleasure many times in the past whilst working in LOS.

One trip I have made a note of in my list of things to do is to head North from Maesot. Anybody BTDT???

• 2 months later...
A good drive at anytime of year is from Maesot to Umphang..I had the pleasure many times in the past whilst working in LOS.

One trip I have made a note of in my list of things to do is to head North from Maesot. Anybody BTDT???

I had posted this earlier in the visa section, I think it better belongs here:

f anyone want to go north from Mae Sot without own transport:

There is a RED sangtaew line going all the way to Mae Sariang, in Southern Mae Hongsong province. The trip takes 6 hrs and is very nice. The pickups leave starting at 6 PM until noon. The depart first from the bus station and then drive into the town. Both places offer food and in town also coffee. The entire road is paved and generally in very good shape. Several check points before and after Karen villages, you also pass a huge refugee camp. Parts of the road go through thick rain forest and can be compared to some routes in Laos. The trip costs 180 baht.

Mae Sariang is a typical tourist and backpackers outpost with guesthouse owners just waiting for you. Food places are very but not cheap. The last bus from Mae Sariang to Chiang Mai leaves at 3 PM and takes 4 hrs to Chiang Mai. It is an aircon service. First pit stop after 2.5 hrs so.....

There is a Mae Hongsong service around the same time. Tickets are sold on the bus. CM was something like 140 baht.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

I've never been to Tak. But i have heard good things and it looks nice in photos. Maybe a place to visit in the future

• 4 months later...

if you come thru Tak and stay there in the evening. Try the market for dinner. Sit on the ground with nice food and soup.Or cross the river and dine in the small restaurants on the other side. Need a car f or that. Really excellent food at prices you wont find easily anywhere else.

The older Vientak hotel is perfectly find and much cheaper than the new branch on the river.