Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

Korean BBQ

upena

After spending the afternoon and part of the evening fishing, we headed home. On the way to the house, my wife informed me that we are going to eat Korean BBQ. She stops at one of the small shops in our gated community and I think it is to buy ice or whiskey. After being home for about 10 minutes, a guys rolls up on a motorcycle with bags of food and a BBQ complete with burning charcoal. Meat, veggies, broth, and spices along with the pan to cook it in and the charcoal stove. And, all in for 220 Baht.

PA050105.jpg

220 baht worth of goodies

PA050108.jpg

Em starts cooking by using some of the pork fat to coat the pan

PA050109.jpg

PA050112.jpg

Pork and veggies

PA050118.jpg

PA050122.jpg

Food for 4 for about $7

• 8 months later...

For those of you who have never been to Korea, that is not a Korean BBQ, nothing like it really, there is a place out on Siam Country Club Rd that is a "Korean BBQ" but even that is not really a true Korean BBQ, close, but not quite.

The real deal is a small flat BBQ plate in the centre of the table, plenty of very thinly cut Beef and lots of onion and various other veggies that can be cooked up like that. Absolutely no "moat" around the BBQ plate

Bam Bam

Edited by Bam_Bam

That which doesn't kill me only makes me stronger

• 4 weeks later...

True Bam Bam but for baht 250 who cares if it isnt authentic. It sure looked good to me. I was in Korea trying to get back to the US a few months ago. I first flew from BKK to Narita Japan and tried to get out of there for 2 days. I am an airline retiree and I fly standby. After 2 days I tried to go to Soul and get out from there. Had to stay overnight and found a nice korean barbeque around the corner from our hotel. Dinner for 3 of us came to about $25 US and there was not much more than you see in these pics. They do have many more spices and curries in small cups to add flavor. I love the food. I also went to a korean barbeque 2 months ago in Rohnert Park. That's in Northern California close to Sonoma (wine country). It was slightly differnt than in Korea also but it still tasted great. I have eaten at other Korean places and the only thing that every restaurant has in common is the food always taste great.

What I'm trying to say is who cares if it isnt authentic as long as it tastes great. :GoldenSmile1:

For those of you who have never been to Korea, that is not a Korean BBQ, nothing like it really, there is a place out on Siam Country Club Rd that is a "Korean BBQ" but even that is not really a true Korean BBQ, close, but not quite.

The real deal is a small flat BBQ plate in the centre of the table, plenty of very thinly cut Beef and lots of onion and various other veggies that can be cooked up like that. Absolutely no "moat" around the BBQ plate

Bam Bam

It is Thai style Korean BBQ. The same as 'American Pizza' or 'Indian Curry' in the UK. It is the Thai perception of Korean BBQ so it is real.

Had the same thing near Hollywood disco but it cost a lot more then 200baht. Also out on one of the back streets when a girl took me there, it had lots of Thais eating there and was dirt cheap. The only down side to the one out in the boon docks was that the meats weren't the best.

I have to say that i do prefer this to that crap they serve on the top floor of Central Festival that the girls love so much. Sorry but i cant remember the name of the restaurant.

True Bam Bam but for baht 250 who cares if it isnt authentic. It sure looked good to me. I was in Korea trying to get back to the US a few months ago. I first flew from BKK to Narita Japan and tried to get out of there for 2 days. I am an airline retiree and I fly standby. After 2 days I tried to go to Soul and get out from there. Had to stay overnight and found a nice korean barbeque around the corner from our hotel. Dinner for 3 of us came to about $25 US and there was not much more than you see in these pics. They do have many more spices and curries in small cups to add flavor. I love the food. I also went to a korean barbeque 2 months ago in Rohnert Park. That's in Northern California close to Sonoma (wine country). It was slightly differnt than in Korea also but it still tasted great. I have eaten at other Korean places and the only thing that every restaurant has in common is the food always taste great.

What I'm trying to say is who cares if it isnt authentic as long as it tastes great. :GoldenSmile1:

Where is the Korean BBQ place in Rohnert Park? I'll be up that was in a couple of week ends from now so I might like to stop by and give it a try. :D I've found a Thai place that pretty good in Rohnert Park, lady that helps run it is from Bangkok!

Edited by Owl

Owl

Where is the Korean BBQ place in Rohnert Park? I'll be up that was in a couple of week ends from now so I might like to stop by and give it a try. :D I've found a Thai place that pretty good in Rohnert Park, lady that helps run it is from Bangkok!

The address is

Bears Korean Restaurant

8577 Gravenstein Hwy

Cotati, CA 94931

(707) 794-9828

It is right off of the 101 freeway between Redwood Drive and Old Redwood Hiway. I think it it the Rhonert Park boarder.

The food was really good and I didnt think it was that expensive. We spent a weekend touring around Sonoma with several of the Vintage Chevrolet Car Club of America (VCCA) car club branches in California. It is called the All Cal Tour and is held every May at different locations throughout the state. I was driving my 1932 Chevrolet Confederate 4 door sedan with my son and ate with another couple also driving a 32 Chevy but theirs is a 2 door sedan. Plenty of parking. It is a small shopping mall has about 4 different restaurants.

Good luck.

• 2 months later...

There is an open air Korean BBQ & hot pot restaurant on Soi Buckhao, beside Saawadee hotel on the corner of soi honey inn.

Certainly no take away. Eng menu, about 100 baht for BBQ, 59 Baht for hot pot, but the portion is small. The "seats" are actually Thai bamboo pavilions, quite stylish. Signage in Thai only.

• 10 months later...

It is Thai style Korean BBQ. The same as 'American Pizza' or 'Indian Curry' in the UK. It is the Thai perception of Korean BBQ so it is real.

Exactly Mike, this is what the Thai people call "bbq khaolee" And its a great way to enjoy a dinner i think, very social and nice.

Bam Bam

Correct. I remember a great meal I had once in Tokyo, a Jap friend took me to a Korean restaurant, just as you describe, we sat there all evening drinking mugs of cold beer and just tossing bits of meat and seafood onto the hot plate in the table between us. Was an outstanding meal.