Jump to content

Getting an international driving licence


Recommended Posts

Would like some info on getting an international driving licence - to drive a dirt bike around cambodia/vietnam/laos (NOT thailand) for one year only.


I saw a site that said...v

1)need to go to BKK

2)need a thai driving licence first

3)need proof of address

4)need a non-immigrant visa - but I have a tourist visa.


Is this correct??


Ideally I would like to get the int driving lic in Pattaya and I DO NOT HAVE a thai driving licence and neither do I have my home country driving licence with me at this time.


Please advise.............Anyone know of any potential problems at border crossings, time restrictions in a country with a bike, etc that would be useful too.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

An international drivers license is issued in your home country (the country that issued your license). So if you want to do it in LOS, you would first need to get a Thai drivers license. How long do you stay? Are you prepaired to do a thai drivers test?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I agree with the above, are you willing (or need) to take a Thai driving test?


The international license is issued from your home country. I'm a US citizen working

out of Dubai, UAE and I got one 2 years ago, not knowing if I would need it somewhere

down the road.

It was issued privately by a company and basically looks like a passport with a ID card

in it. All your personal information (citizenship, date of birth, height, ect) is printed

in about 8 different languages. It is suppose to go by a United Nation regulation pertaining

to all of this.


I've road around Pattaya and around the area on a bike and just kept it in by my saddle bag (that a photo copy of my passport)...

never had to use it once...the Thai/Cambodian police are more concerned about a monetary contribution :Hello1: than allot

of other things...I'm sure you know be careful on small roads out in the boonies...personally

I would not be on the road in Cambodia (or parts of Thailand) at night...the least you will loose is your wallet.

Edited by dave269
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Quoted 2500 for an agency to do it in Soi on South Pattaya Rd opposite Tonys Food mall.

Even though the official BKK price is 505 Baht.


Any other agent reasonable cost - around 1000 ?


Note : she said she could also get a International Driv Lic if I had my home country licence

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • COVID-19

    Any posts or topics which the moderation team deems to be rumours/speculatiom, conspiracy theory, scaremongering, deliberately misleading or has been posted to deliberately distort information will be removed - as will BMs repeatedly doing so. Existing rules also apply.

  • Advertise on Pattaya Addicts
  • Recently Browsing

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.