IGNORED

Cart Food

I have noticed in a few TR's that some BM's will give girls from the bars a few Baht to go and get some food.

I assume most will head to their favourite Cart and pick a selection.

Do any of the BM's have a particular cart vendor they will use and what would they get from them?

On the flip side have any of you suffered at the hands of a BG's selection and if so what was it?

I'm not taking a chance on cart food! You don't know how old it is, how its handled or in some cases even what it is. that not only goes for LOS, but even here in the USA. The worst I was ever sick to my stomach was from a food cart outside Cleveland Stadium after a Brown's game. Bad, bad bratwurst and sauerkraut!!!! :GoldenSmile1::GoldenSmile1:

These days my gut it so used to the bugs in an around Asia, I'll pretty much eat anything. The only times I've gotten sick were from shellfish, once from an oyster from a 5 star joint, another from a blood cockle in an alley in Phuket where the only non locals were my mate and I. Some of the best grub to be had can be found on the hawker stands, I LOVE hawker food. I don't see much difference from the carts to the typical place the locals would eat, except less cockroaches on the carts lol.

I've found that to the find the best food the easiest way is to just follow the locals. This has worked all around the world for me.

I'm not taking a chance on cart food! You don't know how old it is, how its handled or in some cases even what it is. that not only goes for LOS, but even here in the USA. The worst I was ever sick to my stomach was from a food cart outside Cleveland Stadium after a Brown's game. Bad, bad bratwurst and sauerkraut!!!! :Cry3::Puke2:

I saw some show before and they tested hot dogs from New York carts and it was nasty the kinds of things they were able to culture from the water samples.

GFE: Gull Friend Experience

Official Pattaya Song

• 5 months later...

These days my gut it so used to the bugs in an around Asia, I'll pretty much eat anything. The only times I've gotten sick were from shellfish, once from an oyster from a 5 star joint, another from a blood cockle in an alley in Phuket where the only non locals were my mate and I. Some of the best grub to be had can be found on the hawker stands, I LOVE hawker food. I don't see much difference from the carts to the typical place the locals would eat, except less cockroaches on the carts lol.

I've found that to the find the best food the easiest way is to just follow the locals. This has worked all around the world for me.

Too right, follow the locals........... :10of10Score:

I get food from street vendors most nights Usually barbeque chicken or pork and I've never been sick from it. They barbeque the food in front of you

Love the cart food. I'll try anything I'm able to, except the bugs (I reserve those for when I'm really drunk). Just watch where the locals go. I would be wary of seafood (anywhere not just carts), definitely look for high-turnover at wherever you eat seafood. Get a BG to help you try things you've never tried before, and if you don't like the food, forget it, its all really cheap anyway, give it away to some hungry BG.

The barbecue vendors are always welcome in my book, and deffo the fruit sellers - very refreshing. Its an impulse eater's paradise out there.

“If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enoughâ€

“If we knew what it was we were doing, it would not be called research, would it?â€

Albert Einstein

I ate off the food carts my first time in Pattaya on my first day and never had a problem. Mostly the barb chicken and the chicken sandwiches.

Well, the one problem was getting a piece of beef on a stick which was spicy as all-get-out and I thought I would die as no water and was walking back to hotel at the time.

I would always ask to cook longer to be sure it's well cook, even then I took small bites to be safe. Once I got near the bone when I noticed it wasn't cooked inside, good thing I took small bites coz never got sick so must have missed eating any uncooked part.

I tried some sausage my friends gf bought from a cart and it was ok, my tg bought from there often too but I refused to try after I got food poisoned. Though, It was from some sushi restaurant in some mall.

I ate off the food carts my first time in Pattaya on my first day and never had a problem. Mostly the barb chicken and the chicken sandwiches.

Well, the one problem was getting a piece of beef on a stick which was spicy as all-get-out and I thought I would die as no water and was walking back to hotel at the time.

I would always ask to cook longer to be sure it's well cook, even then I took small bites to be safe. Once I got near the bone when I noticed it wasn't cooked inside, good thing I took small bites coz never got sick so must have missed eating any uncooked part.

as long as it is not mince or chicken it can be raw on the inside and you will be fine worst likely case is the runs, but best to have it overcooked a bit.

I always eat the local food, cant get enough. Never got sick.

I did have some stomach pains at one stage from a basic thai eatery. It seemed to have been caused by drinking the water in the jugs provided, so I switched to bottled water or soft drinks problem solved.

I found that i get a touch of the squirts eating at restaurants more than i do from the food from the carts, never been sick from the carts so i'll keep eatin it.

• 2 months later...

i found the cart food ok but would not try the bugs again :P

I love the street food, eat it every day when I am there and have only had a episode of the funk once and it came and went, happens here in the states too so whatever. I am pretty confident a TG is gonna have a better eye for what carts are good than I will as well.

I eat chicken that is cooked right in front of me off the food carts at least once a day but usually twice.

Yes make sure it is well cooked by not standing there looking like you are in a hurry.

I always buy fruit off the carts too. Go to the fruit market outside Mikes to stock my room.

I eat the shrimp cooked right in front of me on the beach but never ever the deep fried food.

I have never eaten any red meat in Thailand as there is no way to know what it really is or how it died.

The orange juice that is fresh squeezed off the little cart just before the beginning of Walking Street is excellent.

I only drink bottled water that I open and lots of Tequila and a couple of beers here and there.

I stock my room with bottled water in two sizes, Large to drink in room, Smaller to carry with me and give away.

Always drink plenty of water.

Breakfast at the Lek or Boat Bakery is a good way to start the day.

I bought food from the street carts a few times on my last trip and had no problems whatsoever.

Tasty and really cheap as well.

Love those kebab things!

Just thinking about it's making me hungry! :GoldenSmile1:

• 3 weeks later...

i allways eat the cartfood when on a night out i just love the barbecue sticks and have never been unwell eating them

i used to be a chef so allways make sure the food is well cooked in front of me

me and my friends took a trip to mexico and one of my friends ate everything in sight from some of the most disgusting looking carts i have ever seen after a two week trip he was perfectly healthy

after the long flight home we had a 4 hour drive to get back to our home town so stopped half way to get some food at a service station

a few days later and my friend was in hospital with salmonela poisoning he caught from an egg sandwich in dundee

he was off work for 6 months as he worked in the food industry

you never know when you are going to catch a nasty bug but with a little care and attention you should be ok with the food carts in pattaya

and as the others said eat where the locals do

Edited by andypoker

THE POKER BUNNY

Be careful of under cooled chicken - Thais seem to like it that way- it is often pink at the bone. One of the worst offenders for undercooked chicken is KFC.

It is better to light even one candle than to live in fear of the dark.

Certainly diff attitude towards food sanitation in LOS...

street-vendor-bees.JPG

Perfecting my ability to "let that which does not matter truly slide"

A friend of mine ate at a food cart in Walking Street the last day of our trip just before we headed to the airport. After we got back home to the Uk he came down with food poisoning and was off work for a few weeks. Not sure if it was from the food he had off the cart but he seemed to think so.

The cart vendors are there day in and day out. If they made people sick they would soon be out of business. It is in their best interest to serve good food--and they do. The TG will always get you good food at good prices. I often stay in the LK Metro area and over the years and every trip I see the same cart people and enjoy their food as do the TGs. Never a worry. My worries come from the unseen kitchens--you never know what is going on behind the doors.

What... service... may I do you? Hmmm? You know I demand payment.--- I brought payment. Look! BAM!! An undead monkey! Top that!

2A2A2C5401C889635E9B5481680DBAF6.png

babydollsaddict.gif

• 4 months later...

I tried insects and bugs for the 1st time when the girls at the bar I used to drink at offered me some of their food.

The first food I was offered was large fried grubs, then ants, and then small fried frogs along with other noodle dishes.

I started buying food for the girls at the bar whenever the guy with the cart came around, I would give one of the girls 1 or 200 bt to get food for all, it made me quite popular plus I got to try different cart food.

• 3 months later...

I saw some show before and they tested hot dogs from New York carts and it was nasty the kinds of things they were able to culture from the water samples.

If you have ever been in a meat plant where hotdogs and meat patties are made I bet you will never eat another one. The smell let alone will make you want to toss your cookies.......

I think the food carts is ok as long as you choose a busy one.

I got food poisoning in hua hin once when eating on the street. No other customers around so I should have passed on the cart.

Spent 2 days in my bathroom before I was strong enough to make it to the doctor.