IGNORED

Meat Carts

Steelman

I'm sure that everyone who has been to Thailand and especially to Walking Street has seen them. I avoid them. That meat has been sitting out in the heat for a long time. I know many probably have eaten it and are fine but I still refrain. I know that round worms are endemic in places like Thailand and the Philippines. It's not unheard of for a person to cough up a worm or have a worm come out of their nose while they are eating. It's not uncommon for someone to shit out a load of worms. Those are the round worms or ascaris. The tape worms are another matter.

I've not even spoken about common food poisoning from contaminated food. I only eat cooked food and when I buy fruit I wash it. My weakness? Som tom!!!! I love that stuff and yes it is uncooked vegetables. What the hell is a green papaya? Fruit or vegetable?

I am immune ... their cooking (or lack there of) could not be any worse than mine.

I am immune ... their cooking (or lack there of) could not be any worse than mine.

Funny. I have a friend whose says the same thing.

I have been more sick at eating from a restaurant than from any street food.

If you think restaurants are clean, well take a look in one and you will soon learn to appreciate street food.

Edited by CyberHippie

Thailand Airsoft The website is for sale. I am starting up a new Bitcoin project and need development funds... The Airsoft Site is being sold for 800,000 THB

ive just spent a month in cambodia and a month in thailand, ate from street carts fruit veg and bbqs almost every day, also ate in resteraunts most days, never had a problem and wasnt sick in the whole two months from anything i ate... whereas if i eat at the kebab shop down town in uk on a friday night im on the toilet all of saturday morning...

experience is the mother of wisdom

Eaten lots of Thai street food sometimes with no idea what is was. Never had a problem just had the same as my TGF of the day (without adding the normal shovel full of chillis).

Must be rough if you go down sick, but I will stick to street food for now.

Being able to produce worms at will from either end would be worth a lot of free beer back home.

• 5 weeks later...

If you think restaurants are clean, well take a look in one and you will soon learn to appreciate street food.

How long does this "sickness" usually last?

The street vendors are not the only places that leave thier food out. Just becuase you go to a restaurant doesnt mean that the kitchen is sanitary or the food is kept refergerated. Just as many of the street vendors leave their food out so do alot of restaurants. At least from outdoor vendors you can see the food, smell it and even see how its prepared. Restaurants in Thailand are a different story and Id rather take my risk eating from street vendors, especially if its Wok fried or boiled like Soup.

The majority of times Ive gotten sick in Thailand was from restaurants verses outdoor carts.

Just my 2 cents....

At least at a street cart you can see the preparation happening.

I dunno maybe I have an iron stomach but I didn't have any trouble from street food or restaurant food. Even the nuclear spices left me unscathed.

Gods I could go for couple sticks of mystery meat right now :(