IGNORED

Can England win the World Cup ?

wilki11

After watching the England v Croatia game it left me wondering, does England actually have a realistic chance of winning the world cup in 2010? With Capello now running a tight ship we're looking the best ive seen us for many years and the players are growing in confidence as a team and are probably starting to believe now that they might have a decent chance of victory in South Africa.

What are your views on englands chances and who do you think the main competition will be for them in the world cup?

personally im very impressed by what ive seen of Mexico lately and think they might do well. Whos your money on?

The only reason for my confidence is a trust in co-incidence. When Spain won the Euopean Championships last year, it was their first major trophy for 44 years. Next year will be 44 years since 1966. Spooky, eh?

Other than that, I would describe England as organised, methodical, hard-working, but also mundane and lacking in real creativity. With Croatia on the slide, it's hardly been a testing group, but England have done the job effectively.

They will have to measure up to better teams in SA and a lot of improvement is still required.

When a man is tired of Pattaya, he is tired of life.

An Agent of DOOM - defenders of older men

The only reason for my confidence is a trust in co-incidence. When Spain won the Euopean Championships last year, it was their first major trophy for 44 years. Next year will be 44 years since 1966. Spooky, eh?

Other than that, I would describe England as organised, methodical, hard-working, but also mundane and lacking in real creativity. With Croatia on the slide, it's hardly been a testing group, but England have done the job effectively.

They will have to measure up to better teams in SA and a lot of improvement is still required.

Don't kid yourself this was a poor group, Croatia have fallen to bits and Ukraine really are the only decent side we have played in the group. I am surprised they are not second.

If you watched the first half against Kazakstahn, we were outclassed. Yes I know the result shows 5-1 because their young side tired but had they converted their chances we would have been undone by them. They exposed some real frailties.

Capello to his credit has done exceptionally well with what he has.

We are no where near as good as Spain or Brazil. We will go out when we come up against either of those.

Sorry to be a pessimist, and I hope I am wrong. P8 W8 is what the record shows and thats the only statistic that matters so well done England.

Spain will win the World Cup too.

IF ALL MEN ARE CREATED EQUAL WHERE IS THE REST OF MY PENIS?

england have no chance of winning the world cup! they got a easy group they will get through the group stages asusuall then when they face a good team get knocked out,but i love the english saying this is are year we will win it then in the quarter finals come back down to earth. 1966 and use have won fuckall!

England have two chances of winnin the World cup some fucking chance and no fucking chance.

All ive got in this world are my word and my balls and i dont break them for nobody

Money Number 1

they can win it , of course they can . weather they will is another matter all together .... the one thing i do know for sure is ,

they have a far better chance than scotland , wales or either of the irish :Good_Post:England homex.gif

The republic might sneak in. Northern Ireland unlikely but they are battlers. You never know. They have pulled off some astonishing results in the past. Just a shame about their away record.

England will reach quarter finals.. Maybe evem semi finals and that will be an achievement. We are in no way good enough to win the tournament unless we have a huge slice of luck.

Sir Bobby Robson was much slated as manager of England until he so nearly made it. Had we beaten Germany I think we would have beaten Argentina by sheer momentum.

I hope Capello has them practising penalites...arrghhhh

Edited by Tim42

IF ALL MEN ARE CREATED EQUAL WHERE IS THE REST OF MY PENIS?

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks, I needed a good laugh today! Are those perennial losers gonna qualify this year??? If so and they take along that pussy Beckham, you can bet the ranch they won't win a single match.

Great post Idea.

Hopefully it won't get hijacked by haters :Cool_Pics:

I guess anyone thats in CAN win.

We're not there to make up the numbers, I think we are one of the countries that has the potential to go all the way.

We're not favorites or even in the top 4 yet.

Its usually defensive sides that win the world cup. Brazil have the best defensive record in the competition and invented the 'back four', a fact all the comentators who gush about brazilan attacking skills seem to forget.

Brazil, Italy, Germany, they can all defend and fight for results.

Personally i don't think our defence is good enough.

We still gift silly goals for free.

In a bizzare way its encouraging that all our recent goals have been comedy errors, mayber if we can stop these we will keep clean sheets...

I think Capello gives us a good chance. He's brought the best of the premiership style. (High tempo, pressure on the ball, pace, fitness etc) into the England team.

If we get this right then we are a threat to anyone in the world.

And the players seem to be coming together as a team with real confidence and form.

Capellos the man i'd back in tight tactical battle. He wont' give anything away easily or make spur of the moment emotional decisions (Maradona), or just plain bizzare decisiosn under pressure (Sven).

All in all, I don't think we will win it.

But I think we have ground to hope.

With a bit of luck, who knows. :rolleyes:

Edited by hazze

I don't go overboard about anyone's chances at the moment - it's a good nine months away and a lot can happen. Unlike American sport, I suppose, where the nationalities of the finalists in the World Series tend to have a very narrow geographical distrubtion.

When a man is tired of Pattaya, he is tired of life.

An Agent of DOOM - defenders of older men