Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

Koh Chang Or Koh Samet

bigbadbaz

I'm in Patts for Xmas and looking for a 3 night break before New Year. Will be taking the love of my life (well I have to find her 1st) for 3 nights and cant decide on Chang or Samet.

I'm not a diver, just wanting nice hotel up to 2k taking into account Xmas rip off prices, beach and decent food. I'm happy to lay in sun all day but the future Mrs Baz probably wont want to go too chocolate so something to do in the daytime would help.

Open to suggestions.

Samet has the advantage it is closer to Pattaya (1.5 hr plus short ferry crossing) but resorts are smaller (not much to do except relax) and the roads are dirt so difficult to explore.

Chang is 3.5/4hrs plus ferry trip, so for a short trip, going and return will take up the best part of a day. But the resorts are bigger (White sands) so more to do (but not that much). Roads are OK and you can get around, go see a waterfall or other beaches.

Overall for a short break - Samet would get my vote, but book early as can get busy at peak times (thais and foreigners).

i stayed at koh chang about 5 years ago was good and i always said i would go back with a girl i think it would be great break from pattaya but not too long haha,i still have not been back to koh chang, pattaya has some kind of spell on me,i have promised myself i will go christmas too lol

Any info on the best way of getting to koh chang ?

Prices for travel also please ?

i get my kicks below the waistline sunshine

Koh Chang is a LOT nicer and has more to do at night. Samet is VERY Thai, not that its a bad thing.

Chang is much bigger and the sea is a lot cleaner.

However, given you want 3 days and want beach etc then Samet is probably a better bet as its a lot closer so you dont lose the best part of a day in traveling.

Heres a pic taken from the balcony where we stay in Koh Chang - right on the beach and beautiful too.

Koh Chang.JPG

Advertise on Pattaya Addicts. Send me a PM for more info'

Please consider a donation to the forum!

Any info on the best way of getting to koh chang ?

Prices for travel also please ?

From http://www.pattayatalk.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=37358&view=findpost&p=567399

If you want to get to Koh Chang as cheaply as possible then call the Van Company directly. There may be other cheaper Transportation companies, but this is the one we dealt with (after 3 days I did not find a cheaper price). This company charges 650, which appears to be the going rate, per person one-way. Anything more you pay in Pattaya is what goes to the tour agency in Pattaya and beware those tour agencies not including the trip from Koh Chang pier to your hotel. Here’s the name and number of the Van Company we used.

Look at the link, as the phone numbers are in images, and the prices have probably changed by now.

I used LST as above when I went to koh chang last year, was easy and reliable. If you don't have accom booked, then will try and sort you out on the island, and I found that their prices, 1200, were cheaper than the walk up prices, 1500, for the Alina Grande, but not quite as cheap as the internet, 1100. Alina was good except there wasn't an in-room digital safe, had to use front desk. YMMV.

If you could put whitesand beach from Koh Samet in the place of Whitesand beach on Koh Chang you would have a place that would be hard to beat anywhere in the world.

• 3 weeks later...

In my next trip in november i go 5 days to Koh Chang with my favourite BG. I also was considering Koh samet due to the shorter distance to Pattaya but when comparing all the prices, reviews of other tourists, tourist attractions and possibilities i finally decided to choose for Koh chang as the hotels are way better and better in proportion to the quality/rate!

Maybe Koh samet beaches are a little nicer but the garbage, noise and overpricing disturbes me too much!!! And when renting a motorbike you can discover really nice secluded beaches in Koh Chang as well!

A good girl gives you happiness and a bad girl gives you experience both are essential in life so enjoy every girlfriend!

...good info...I will be heading to Koh Chang in October...prices and hotels about right + girlfriend is a resident so ight go for a bit of night fishing...Alina Resort looks ok as I am taking my daughter and friends of the family...

[size="5"]...currently studying the "Thai BG's mind"...it's gonna take a long long time and many more visits to LOS...[/size]

Samet.

Big Brother is watching you. - George Orwell
Live, travel, adventure, bless, and don't be sorry. - Jack Kerouac
Find what you love and let it kill you. - Charles Bukowski 
Two things awe me most, the starry sky above me and the moral law within me. - Immanuel Kant
Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance. - Confucius 
I wish I could show you when you are alone or in darkness the astonishing light of your own being. - Hafiz of Shiraz
You need chaos in your soul to give birth to a dancing star. - Friedrich Nietzsche 
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. - Voltaire 
I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered. - George Best
To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all. - Oscar Wilde
The general public doesn't know what's happening, and it doesn't even know that it doesn't know. - Noam Chomsky
What can be asserted without evidence can also be dismissed without evidence. - Christopher Hitchens 

"Up to me" since 2005

Been looking for hotels since I posted the question and they are really taking the piss.

I know Xmas is rip off prices but some hotels that are £20 today are £60-70 at Xmas.

Good news is 'only' 99 days to wheels up

Edited by bigbadbaz

• 2 weeks later...

Been looking for hotels since I posted the question and they are really taking the piss.

I know Xmas is rip off prices but some hotels that are £20 today are £60-70 at Xmas.

Good news is 'only' 99 days to wheels up

If you mean on KC, i would recommend you Chai Chet resort and Koh Chang thai garden hill. Both on the chai chet cape between white sand beach and klong phrao. Nice recent good hotels for a decent price +- 1500 Bath and 1800 Bath with nice big swimming pool. You would need to rent a motorbike to acces easily WSB and KPB but if you will look for hotels on the beach with Xmas as you have seen they try to ripp you off with crazy prices!

http://www.kochangchaichet.com/index.php

http://www.kohchangthaigardenhill.com/

A good girl gives you happiness and a bad girl gives you experience both are essential in life so enjoy every girlfriend!

• 1 month later...

From http://www.pattayatalk.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=37358&view=findpost&p=567399

Look at the link, as the phone numbers are in images, and the prices have probably changed by now.

I used LST as above when I went to koh chang last year, was easy and reliable. If you don't have accom booked, then will try and sort you out on the island, and I found that their prices, 1200, were cheaper than the walk up prices, 1500, for the Alina Grande, but not quite as cheap as the internet, 1100. Alina was good except there wasn't an in-room digital safe, had to use front desk. YMMV.

I have been looking at the Alina Grande, is it friendly to Thai companions.

thanks,

jiml

Try the Mac Resort on Koh Chang, it's really nice and has friendly staff, right on white beach, it has a nice swimming pool and a beachside restaurant, and is next to a bar where a lot of the thai girls who are looking for a good time (money to pay for their trip) congregate to mingle with westerners.

• 1 year later...

Koh Chang for me everytime. Love the place and the islands that surround it. Not too many cunts holidaying there which Is a relief. Lots of Families keeping themselves to themselves.

Courage, determination, unselfishness and cheefulness in the face of adversity. Bond us all together, a brotherhood so inexplicable you will never understand, unless you are one of us....