IGNORED

A Better Pattaya

LateNiteMike

If you could suggest something to the mayor of Pattaya that you feel would truly make it a better place, WHAT would it be ???

A few ideas might be....

Take back the sidewalks.....The city should provide a minimum of 1.5 meters of sidewalk as a clear space for pedestrians to WALK !

Sidewalks are often (usually) used as extended display areas for goods by shop owners. Also there are many 'things' that clutter the sidewalks of Pattaya. This often leaves pedestrians nowhere to walk, and sometimes having to step into the street.

Reduce the number of Baht Bus (taxis) in congested areas of Pattaya,....especially on Beach road and on Second road.

At this posting there are suggestions that Pattaya could cut the current amount of Baht Buses by about HALF, and still have enough available to provide sufficient service to riders !

Please contribute. Worthwhile suggestions are welcome,......and cute ones are also. We can all use a good chuckle now and then,....but seriously, if there's something on your mind that you feel should be mentioned to the mayor of Pattaya...what would it be ?

Sort the Visa's, that stupid 15 day thing as well as the 30 day etc, make it a 90 day tourist visa on entry, I hear a lot of guys moaning about thet, Immigration seems to have got better, I did my 90 day retirement visa last week and in & out in 10 mins.

yes baht buses and moto taxis, both essential to Pattaya but their stopping anywhere can be a pain but then that makes it convenient to use them.

Really I think the crime at the moment with the ladyboy pickpockets on baht buses etc, the snatches seems to have gone down but the pick pockets not.

I still believe these are small things though, when you look at the big picture and compare to most western places its still Paradise.

Canterbury Tales Guesthouse ... email; canterburytalescafe@hotmail.com

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$1.jpg

Pay the BiB better so they would not feel the need, or not be so blatant about their 'Fundraisers'.

"When the going gets weird... the weird turn pro" - Hunter S. Thompson

Reduce the number of Baht Bus (taxis) in congested areas of Pattaya,....especially on Beach road and on Second road.

At this posting there are suggestions that Pattaya could cut the current amount of Baht Buses by about HALF, and still have enough available to provide sufficient service to riders !

I see that as a non-starter. Obvioudsly, the owners have put a substantial amount of money into this by Thai standards. I can't see how anyone can tell them that though they have entered legitimately etc and invested in a business, they are going to be arbitrarily deprived of their living.

If I could change one thing, it would be to prosecute those parents who put their kids to work at night instead of sending them to school in the day time.

" We didn't necessarily believe you. We believed your $50". Sam Spade (Humphrey Bogart) "The Maltese Falcon"

"What did it matter where you lay once you were dead? In a dirty sump or in a marble tower on top of a high hill? You were dead, you were sleeping the big sleep, you were not bothered by things like that. Oil and water were the same as wind and air to you." Raymond Chandler: The Big Sleep

Hi Guys

Yet another good topic.

I agree with what's been said so far.

Although I cannot comment on the 90 day visa rule thing as I've never had to use that yet, I recognise that while the Visa situation does appear to be very complicated & subject to arbitrary change, it is not a matter under the jurisdiction of the Pattaya Mayor.

What is under their jurisdiction, & therefore they can influence is:

Enforce the one-way traffic regulations - Soi 9 anyone?

Stop allowing some vendors to hire moto-bikes to uninsured drunk tourists

No driving of bikes on sidewalks - 2nd Road?

Clarify the Zebra-Crossing "road art" - Newbies - they only "look" like UK Zebra-Crossings

Have designated clear sidewalks - Soi Diana anyone?

I too am uncomfortable about the very young girls & boys selling bubble-gum & glow bracelets round the beer-bar complexes, but I guess one has to consider the possible consequences of them doing something else... everyone has to make a living somehow

But NUMBER ONE FOR ME is - Why not have tourist street names also in English that correspond to accepted Pattaya map designations (Soi Chaiapoon; Soi Baukhow etc) Apart from Beach Road; Second Road; Third Road & LK Metro - I cannot recall seeing any street signs other than in Thai.

That's all for me - look forward to more comments & suggestions

Tone

nb: photo attached was not taken by me - but it cracks me up - look where you end up & look 2 metres to left

Edited by supertony

Hi again - trying to upload photo - sorry for being a techno-dipstick

nb: photo attached was not taken by me - but it cracks me up - look where you end up & look 2 metres to left

Hi again - trying to upload photo - sorry for being a techno-dipstick

I'm giving up - I hit Browse - select photo - click Upload - then nothing

Sorry guys

Take back the sidewalks.....The city should provide a minimum of 1.5 meters of sidewalk as a <u>clear</u> space for pedestrians to WALK ! This often leaves pedestrians nowhere to walk, and sometimes having to step into the street.

No chance of that, I hear the BIB will soon be enforcing the Jaywalking laws. Somehow I doubt that the excuse 'but officer there is no sidewalk' will have any effect!!!

On a more serious note apparently there is some farang going around writing to authorities about bars that fail to enforce the smoking laws. I think the Mayor should make it a priority to find this man and immediately deport him somewhere he can enjoy smoke free bars in peace :bj9:

Seriously seriously? Make it safer, hit the pickpockets and robbers hard. Don't clear beach road of the FLs, just make sure they don't hassle the family types (Why are they coming???) and it's safe from the pick pockets and LB thieves.

RULES

1NQq.gif

There are only two types of people in the world, those who can extrapolate from incomplete data......

Sort the Visa's, that stupid 15 day thing as well as the 30 day etc, make it a 90 day tourist visa on entry, I hear a lot of guys moaning about thet, Immigration seems to have got better, I did my 90 day retirement visa last week and in & out in 10 mins.

yes baht buses and moto taxis, both essential to Pattaya but their stopping anywhere can be a pain but then that makes it convenient to use them.

Really I think the crime at the moment with the ladyboy pickpockets on baht buses etc, the snatches seems to have gone down but the pick pockets not.

I still believe these are small things though, when you look at the big picture and compare to most western places its still Paradise.

How sweet it is Daveo...I envy you!

Retired in Thailand.....that sounds really good!!!

It is a shame to punish the street stals but it dose seem are walking around them all the time.Pull them back or widen the footpath 1 meter.

The trash on the beach and in the waters can get pretty hairy at times. I realize there's a lot and they try their best.

GFE: Gull Friend Experience

Official Pattaya Song

I agree on the pedestrian issues however I think the solution lies in a series of cross over bridges along 2nd road. Skip the whole Zebra stripe thing altogether.

Places for the sky bridges

South Pattaya Rd

Soi Diana Inn (Mike Mall Parking lot)

Central Pattaya Rd

At the Dolphin Roundabout

Now I know my thoughts do not include handicap access -- and they are not going to put in elevators for wheelchair access. Perhaps spiral ramps???

On a more serious note apparently there is some farang going around writing to authorities about bars that fail to enforce the smoking laws. I think the Mayor should make it a priority to find this man and immediately deport him somewhere he can enjoy smoke free bars in peace :GiveBeer1:

Well ATB, SOMEONE needs to take a stand against smoker's abuses by speaking up and speaking out. There was a law passed, and for a while it was quite enjoyable to be able to go into a GoGo (an enclosed space) and NOT be subjected to having to breath foul, polluted, air because some jacka.. chose to selfishly indulge in a stupid, nasty, habit.

Smoking is STUPID,...and those who insist on doing so at the expense of other people are rude,selfish, and totally inconsiderate.

Paying good money to inhale carcinogenic pollutants into your body has to literally be a NO BRAINER.

If that is what you choose to do to YOUR body...that's your decision,...but no smoker has the right to pollute the air that others want to/need to breathe....especially in an enclosed space.

Smoke if you want,....all we non-smokers are asking is to do it outside ! There is a law on the books. It gives non-smokers an equal chance to enjoy the shared (enclosed) environment. I'm not sending out any nasty emoticons and I don't care to get into a 'pissing' contest. Just politely asking all smokers to PLEASE.....Stop being so selfish,....and at least TRY to be considerate of others. :Banghead2:

PS. While standing in line for a new visa in Vientiane I noticed that an Indian man just behind me had stepped away from the line as he lit up to smoke. I turned and said to him "Thank you for being so considerate". He responded "Thank you for tolerating us".

Now, there's a man I can respect !

Well ATB, SOMEONE needs to take a stand against smoker's abuses by speaking up and speaking out. There was a law passed, and for a while it was quite enjoyable to be able to go into a GoGo (an enclosed space) and NOT be subjected to having to breath foul, polluted, air because some jacka.. chose to selfishly indulge in a stupid, nasty, habit.

No need for a pissng contest, I'm a non smoker!! Look before you jump in future! :Banghead2:

Smoking bar or non smoking, I don't care personally! I certainly won't label smokers as 'stupid, selfish, nasty' though I do atribute those labels to those who travel 1000's miles to a country then try to change its ways by 'writing to authorities'. :GiveBeer1:

There has been a whole boring thread about this elsewhere, and the person in question has proved himself to be small minded and hypocritical on it. Feel free to join him there but please try not to give the rest of us non smokers a bad press. Most of us are in fact reasonable non judgmental people who can handle a it of smoke without making pathetic exagerrated choking noises! :Oops3::rolleyes:

RULES

1NQq.gif

There are only two types of people in the world, those who can extrapolate from incomplete data......

i know it is a lot of work,but new footpaths are a must.

No need for a pissng contest, I'm a non smoker!! Look before you jump in future! :Flying:

Smoking bar or non smoking, I don't care personally! I certainly won't label smokers as 'stupid, selfish, nasty' though I do atribute those labels to those who travel 1000's miles to a country then try to change its ways by 'writing to authorities'. :Chokdee:

There has been a whole boring thread about this elsewhere, and the person in question has proved himself to be small minded and hypocritical on it. Feel free to join him there but please try not to give the rest of us non smokers a bad press. Most of us are in fact reasonable non judgmental people who can handle a it of smoke without making pathetic exagerrated choking noises! :Cry3::Oops3:

Well, I think you need to get a grip. That's what I said......there's no need to get into a 'pissing contest'. So, we agree on that.

As to looking before you jump goes.....how in the hell can I tell you're a non smoker ?

And what's with the 'Screw You', 'emoticon??? Jeeez ! I did send out any nasty emoticons nor mocking emoticons in my posts to you or anyone else.

As for you saying some guy wants to change the ways of the locals......Well, the friggin law was already passed...by the locals ! Duh. I don't know why you would claim the man is 'small minded and hypocritical'. Obviously that is your opinion.

For the record....let's be clear...I'm not trying to give non smokers 'bad press' as you claim.....but it seems you sure as hell are.

For a non smoker you seem to be very sympathetic to those smokers who 1.) Break the existing law. 2.) Are stupid, because paying damn good money to pollute your lungs, and shorten your life is stupid behavior in anyone's book. 3. Are selfish because smoking anything that pollutes the air that everyone needs to breath in a common enclosed area with absolutely no consideration for any other person in that area...is indulging in selfish behavior.

And 4.) Nasty applies to the habit because it is harmful to the smoker and anyone subjected to their second hand smoke.

Yes, you're right, there has been a lot written on this, and it's sad that you find it so boring, but it will probably continue until the day when those smokers who choose to be rude, selfish and inconsiderate stop polluting the common air spaces.

And that's ALL non smokers are asking,....Go ahead...pollute your own body if you so chose,.....but PLEASE don't pollute others. Gee,.....now is THAT too much to ask? In a reasonable scenario...I think not.

'atb'......lighten up....your acting like many of the rude,selfish, and inconsiderate smokers I've encountered.

Cheers !

Well, I think you need to get a grip. That's what I said......there's no need to get into a 'pissing contest'. So, we agree on that.

Well avoid the contest then, instead of replying in a holier than thou manner to what was a humourous post refering to an in joke about another thread. If you wish to continue this conversation I suggest you find that thread and read it. Perhaps you might have got the point of the joke then and avoided being pissed on!

As to looking before you jump goes.....how in the hell can I tell you're a non smoker ?

I've no idea but you appeared to be assuming I was when you said 'If that is what you choose to do to YOUR body...that's your decision,'. Hence the 'screw you' emoticon. No you didn't send any emoticons, but you did reply in a serious and aggressive manner to a jokey post.

As for you saying some guy wants to change the ways of the locals......Well, the friggin law was already passed...by the locals ! Duh. I don't know why you would claim the man is 'small minded and hypocritical'. Obviously that is your opinion.

Ok, I've already said if you had read the thread to which I was refering you would have answers to all your questions. Believe me I'm far from the only one to have that opinion of him. Heres a quick 101 for you. Laws are passed by governments, not 'the people' sadly. If they liked the law so much they would enforce it. Have a little think and see if you really would like Thailand to enforce ALL it's laws or just the laws YOU want enforced?

For the record....let's be clear...I'm not trying to give non smokers 'bad press' as you claim.....but it seems you sure as hell are.

For a non smoker you seem to be very sympathetic to those smokers who 1.) Break the existing law. 2.) Are stupid, because paying damn good money to pollute your lungs, and shorten your life is stupid behavior in anyone's book. 3. Are selfish because smoking anything that pollutes the air that everyone needs to breath in a common enclosed area with absolutely no consideration for any other person in that area...is indulging in selfish behavior.

And 4.) Nasty applies to the habit because it is harmful to the smoker and anyone subjected to their second hand smoke.

There you go implying things again. Where did I say I was sympathetic to smokers. I just said I don't care if people smoke or not, doesn't bother me. You imply sympathy from that? Bit of stretch eh! You then go on and on and on and on and on about smoking and its effects etc etc etc ad nauseum. Now you also imply somehow I'm giving non smokers a bad press! Just read your own posts! If I was doing that then you would be an able ally my friend!

Yes, you're right, there has been a lot written on this, and it's sad that you find it so boring, but it will probably continue until the day when those smokers who choose to be rude, selfish and inconsiderate stop polluting the common air spaces.

And that's ALL non smokers are asking,....Go ahead...pollute your own body if you so chose,.....but PLEASE don't pollute others. Gee,.....now is THAT too much to ask? In a reasonable scenario...I think not.

ad nauseum!

'atb'......lighten up....your acting like many of the rude,selfish, and inconsiderate smokers I've encountered.

Cheers !

You are classic! I started with a jokey post, which you attacked, then you tell me to 'lighten up'!

Now, go back to the top, read the OP and post here if you have something 'on topic' to say.

If you want to continue with the smoking tit for tat go find the 'smoking ban' thread and post in there

Cheers

Edited by atb

RULES

1NQq.gif

Smoking is STUPID,...and those who insist on doing so at the expense of other people are rude,selfish, and totally inconsiderate.

Paying good money to inhale carcinogenic pollutants into your body has to literally be a NO BRAINER.

If that is what you choose to do to YOUR body...that's your decision,...but no smoker has the right to pollute the air that others want to/need to breathe....especially in an enclosed space.

Smoke if you want,....all we non-smokers are asking is to do it outside ! There is a law on the books. It gives non-smokers an equal chance to enjoy the shared (enclosed) environment. I'm not sending out any nasty emoticons and I don't care to get into a 'pissing' contest. Just politely asking all smokers to PLEASE.....Stop being so selfish,....and at least TRY to be considerate of others. :Birthday_Cake:

PS. While standing in line for a new visa in Vientiane I noticed that an Indian man just behind me had stepped away from the line as he lit up to smoke. I turned and said to him "Thank you for being so considerate". He responded "Thank you for tolerating us".

LNM

Out of interest what did you do before the smoking ban was introduced in pubs and bars? I don't wish to make an issue of it, it's just that I'm curious. Did you grin and bear it or boycott bars and drink at home or with non smoking friends?

Good post and I fully agree.

And i am the Guy who emailed the the Thai Authorities! The only way you will get some change is to campaign for it, so if you want the email address PM me. Smokers will never be considerate without regulation, so make it happen!

Smoke if you want,....all we non-smokers are asking is to do it outside ! There is a law on the books. It gives non-smokers an equal chance to enjoy the shared (enclosed) environment. I'm not sending out any nasty emoticons and I don't care to get into a 'pissing' contest. Just politely asking all smokers to PLEASE.....Stop being so selfish,....and at least TRY to be considerate of others. :001_Thank_You5:

Well, it would seem that 'atb' insists on taking pretty much everything I said personally and has responded accordingly, and that is so unnecessary. He seems to be so sensitive that he takes personal offense when I used the collective term 'you' and assumed I meant HIM with the singular (individual) term 'you'.

Everything I wrote was directed at the collective audience of readers. The 'you' and 'your' that I used only applies directly to those individuals to whom the statement directly applies.

In other words, someone can choose to take offense to a statement if they think it applies to them. It's their choice. No one need take it as a personal attack if it doesn't apply! It was never specifically directed at any one person.

As for any comments that do relate directly to 'atb',it seems that he is a man of little tolerance for non-smokers who wish to express their Desire to breathe fresh air, and then conversely seems to have untold amounts of tolerance and sympathy for those who defiantly choose to pollute the 'common' airspace with absolutely no concern for others.

It is a shame, but then so is the whole situation I was referring to in the first place in my original post reply.

This whole thing has become something it was never intended to be,....just because one individual has chosen to take personal offense to previous posts when none was intended, and then gone on the attack.

LNM

Out of interest what did you do before the smoking ban was introduced in pubs and bars? I don't wish to make an issue of it, it's just that I'm curious. Did you grin and bear it or boycott bars and drink at home or with non smoking friends?

A fair question Yogi. I smoked at one time when I was in my twenties, then switched to a pipe for several years, and then quit smoking altogether. I hung out in bars and clubs and even played in bands in clubs for many years, but the smoking either didn't bother me or I didn't notice it at that time. I think that is part of the problem. When a person is smoking, and accustomed to being around smoke and smokers...they don't realize 'the problem' and cannot comprehend what a life without smoking is. To smokers it's normal to inhale smoke deep into their lungs and feel 'good' because they're addicted to the nicotine fix they get when they take that 'hit'. They have no idea what it's like to take a breath of real, fresh, unpolluted air...on a regular basis. That's the sad part. Ha !

As a non smoker it's sad to witness....but hey,...it's their life. I'd just like to be able to breath clean, unpolluted air, but apparently that's just too much to expect from many smokers.

Over the years many of my friends who did smoke were often considerate of others and would try not to blow smoke in my direction, and for those who weren't I would keep my distance when they lit up. I usually hung around with non smokers whenever possible. Most of my adult life was in California and people and places there took the lead when dealing with the smoking issue. So, more and more Californians specifically, and Americans in general have 'wised up' and have either stopped smoking altogether or have significantly cut back. I just saw on the news where Vietnam has banned all smoking 'indoors'.

I was told by the owner of a GoGo bar last night that the only reason they 'put up' with smokers lighting up inside...is because right now they need every baht they can get their hands on in order to keep going during these hard times.

So, no I never 'grinned and bared it'. Once I was 'away' from the smoking environment long enough I then realized how disgusting the habit is. Hopefully more and more current smokers will come to the same realization...someday.

Edited by LateNiteMike

Well, it would seem that 'atb' insists on taking pretty much everything I said personally and has responded accordingly, and that is so unnecessary. He seems to be so sensitive that he takes personal offense when I used the collective term 'you' and assumed I meant HIM with the singular (individual) term 'you'.

Everything I wrote was directed at the collective audience of readers. The 'you' and 'your' that I used only applies directly to those individuals to whom the statement directly applies.

In other words, someone can choose to take offense to a statement if they think it applies to them. It's their choice. No one need take it as a personal attack if it doesn't apply! It was never specifically directed at any one person.

As for any comments that do relate directly to 'atb',it seems that he is a man of little tolerance for non-smokers who wish to express their desire to breathe fresh air, and then conversely seems to have untold amounts of tolerance and sympathy for those who defiantly choose to pollute the 'common' airspace with absolutely no concern for others.

It is a shame, but then so is the whole situation I was referring to in the first place in my original post reply.

This whole thing has become something it was never intended to be,....just because one individual has chosen to take personal offense to previous posts when none was intended, and then gone on the attack.

Shame you didn't read my reply, or if you did shame you didn't understand it!

RULES

1NQq.gif