IGNORED

Australians Getting Arrested Overseas In Greater Numbers

wild58

THE number of Australians arrested overseas continues to increase, with more than 1000 travellers detained in the year ended last June.

The figures, contained in the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade 2008-09 annual report, due for release in October, show the number of Australians arrested overseas has increased by 38 per cent in the past five years. Of the 1019 people arrested, 295 had been convicted and sentenced by June 30.

More Australians were arrested in the US than any other country, with 203 people detained.

Thai police arrested the second-highest number of Australians, with 63 people detained.

More Australians died in Thailand than any other destination.

DFAT recorded 105 deaths of tourists in the Asian nation and expatriates in the 2008-09 year.

Foreign prisoner advocate Kay Danes said many overseas arrests were for drug possession or trafficking. "People are not deterred by the plight of people like Schapelle Corby (arrested in Bali, 2004)," Mrs Danes said.

"They are not deterred by the death penalty because they believe they are smarter, more organised than the ones before them," she said.

A DFAT spokeswoman said the rise in arrests was most likely due to the increasing number travelling overseas. DFAT figures show Australians made 6,009,033 trips overseas in 2008-09, up from 5,878,445 the previous financial year.

Also in 2008-09, 1480 Australians spent time in hospital overseas.

Indonesia had the highest number of Australian taken to hospital, with 191 people seeking treatment. Thailand was next with 175 followed by China (156).

A further 5992 people were provided with "welfare and guidance" by DFAT officers. Guidance was sought following assaults (238 cases), thefts (1445), child welfare checks (196) and other welfare matters (4113).

I'm not sure of the figures now, but for 14 years straight an Aussie was the first 'Drunk and Disorderly' arrest at Oktoberfest.

Somehow that seems appropriate. :GrinNod1:

"When the going gets weird... the weird turn pro" - Hunter S. Thompson

Australians arrested overseas has increased by 38 per cent in the past five years.

need to know the actual percentage increase in the no of Australians actually travelling abroad over the last 5 years to put the stats in perspective.

For about ten years from 1965/75 the police in London were on the trail of the legendary Aussie shoplifting gang. The legend was that there was a very successful shoplifting gang working in the west end of london, that was masterminded by a group aussies.

Whenever an Aussie was arrested for this, an officer from a special squad was sent to interview them to see if they were part of the team. Eventually the squad was disbanded, and the conclusion reached that their was no evidence that the team had ever existed, and that this was created by the media.

Personally, I just love the story of the Brit that was going through immigration at Sydney and was asked if he had a criminal record? He replied, "I didn't know it was still compulsory".

" We didn't necessarily believe you. We believed your $50". Sam Spade (Humphrey Bogart) "The Maltese Falcon"

"What did it matter where you lay once you were dead? In a dirty sump or in a marble tower on top of a high hill? You were dead, you were sleeping the big sleep, you were not bothered by things like that. Oil and water were the same as wind and air to you." Raymond Chandler: The Big Sleep

need to know the actual percentage increase in the no of Australians actually travelling abroad over the last 5 years to put the stats in perspective.

Figures for 2005 - 4.1 Million per year

Figures for 2009 - 5.8 Million per year

Personally, I just love the story of the Brit that was going through immigration at Sydney and was asked if he had a criminal record? He replied, "I didn't know it was still compulsory".

Current figures show that over 25% of Australia's residents were born overseas.

We are the wretched refuse. We have been deported, escaped or thrown out of every country in world... and we are damn proud of it. :001_Thank_You5:

Edited by Temujin

"When the going gets weird... the weird turn pro" - Hunter S. Thompson

Figures for 2005 - 4.1 Million per year

Figures for 2009 - 5.8 Million per year

That's roughly the same percentage increase as the number of arrests.

" We didn't necessarily believe you. We believed your $50". Sam Spade (Humphrey Bogart) "The Maltese Falcon"

"What did it matter where you lay once you were dead? In a dirty sump or in a marble tower on top of a high hill? You were dead, you were sleeping the big sleep, you were not bothered by things like that. Oil and water were the same as wind and air to you." Raymond Chandler: The Big Sleep