IGNORED

Pak Wan

hedonist

Is the phrase Pak wan ( ปาก-หฺวาน) the equivelant of "you bullshitting bastard"?

In other words, is is a derogatory comment, and therefore, not a nice thing to be called?

I like to make the odd comment that would be laughed off as being cheesy back in the West (and its obvious that it IS cheesy, both by its wording and the way its said, and only said as a jokey icebreaking thing to say)

But, sometimes when i pay a genuine complement its taken as such here in the West, but still gets the same "pak wan" retort from the Thai girls.

Genuine complement such as " you look nice in that outfit" for instance.

Hedonist

No bad grammer or spelling mistakes here !!!!

Its the all new language i have invented called "Typonese"

Copies of the book and DVDs are on sale and are availible at the main desc at the exit sine

""Pak Whan"" in Thai means litterally translated ""mouth sweet"" so in fact when u give a lady a positive compliment like u look sexy she can reply with Pak Whan as she intends to say that u are a sweetmouth and speak nice things to her just to get her approval, her attention or getting her laid.

A good girl gives you happiness and a bad girl gives you experience both are essential in life so enjoy every girlfriend!

to most of the girls "pak whan" means sugar lips and as said it means u are telling her something nice for a reason but when she says "pak whan" to you then reply "mai pak whan, jing jing", translated that means not sugar lips for real or really, that is when u normally get the smile and more attention, try it and see. :EvilLaugh1:

Semper Fi

""Pak Whan"" in Thai means litterally translated ""mouth sweet"" so in fact when u give a lady a positive compliment like u look sexy she can reply with Pak Whan as she intends to say that u are a sweetmouth and speak nice things to her just to get her approval, her attention or getting her laid.

This is the correct explanation!

ความจริงเป็นสิ่งที่ไม่ตายแต่คนพูดความจริงอาจจะตาย                 

The truth is immortal but people who speak it aren't - Thai proverb

Karl's Thailand - My YouTube Channel

Is the phrase Pak wan ( ปาก-หฺวาน) the equivelant of "you bullshitting bastard"?

Absolutely not ! It means nothing bad, it just mean that u are a charmer with a sweet mouth and is a very common phrase.

If u talk nice and sweet with a girl and she says "dolae", it is not nice cos it means u are same like a actor and

you speak your words only to lay her down.

Edited by kub

"Fighting me is like jerking off...You´re only gonna F@ck yourself. "

In the examples given, it never means anything bad.

Think of it as "Oh, you flatterer you!"

bpàak wăan ปากหวาน usually has jokey connotation. Very occasionally it is used to compliment on the way you speak.

kêe móh, ขี้โม้ means bullshitter when you are stoking up your own virtues

rái-săa-rá ไร้สาระ is a retort almost the same as "Crap!"

Dto lae (sorry cannot find the Thai script) is the response as in the OP that suggests you think that the person is bullshitting. It can be used in a jokey way and although a good word to know, is best never used by somebody who is not sure that it would be received as a joke!

Chasing girls can be expensive

But it's more expensive if you catch one

In the examples given, it never means anything bad.

Think of it as "Oh, you flatterer you!"

bpàak wăan ปากหวาน usually has jokey connotation. Very occasionally it is used to compliment on the way you speak.

kêe móh, ขี้โม้ means bullshitter when you are stoking up your own virtues

rái-săa-rá ไร้สาระ is a retort almost the same as "Crap!"

Dto lae (sorry cannot find the Thai script) is the response as in the OP that suggests you think that the person is bullshitting. It can be used in a jokey way and although a good word to know, is best never used by somebody who is not sure that it would be received as a joke!

Here's the Thai script for it. ตอแหล

Here's the Thai script for it. ตอแหล

Is it always spelled like that or only 'Very Occasionally'

Is it always spelled like that or only 'Very Occasionally'

Well, every time I've come across it. If you know of another spelling then please share it with us.

I always got the impression ตอแหล was quite a strong verb to use, which had kind of deceitful undertones to it. I always though โกหก was lighter and generally because I heard it more often a more common word to use.

Well, every time I've come across it. If you know of another spelling then please share it with us.

Maybe Mike thinks that you ตอแหล :Banghead2:

I always got the impression ตอแหล was quite a strong verb to use, which had kind of deceitful undertones to it. I always though โกหก was lighter and generally because I heard it more often a more common word to use.

Yes, agreed.

That's why I said that it is good to know the word, but be very careful in what situation you use it.

Edit

BTW, I believe that it is not only used as a verb. Correct me please, but I think that it can mean bullshit, bullshitter and bullshitting.

Edited by Loong

Maybe Mike thinks that you ตอแหล :Banghead2:

Who knows? I don't know what he was meant really.