IGNORED

Greetings In Thai.

barney

kin khao reu yang?

pen arai?

...................... there are two common ones to start with - how many more are there?

kin khao reu yang?

pen arai?

...................... there are two common ones to start with - how many more are there?

No idea how this should be spelt, but here goes... Yin dee te di rujack 555555 possibly the worst spolling ever!!

No idea how this should be spelt, but here goes... Yin dee te di rujack 555555 possibly the worst spolling ever!!

...very polite I might say...very pleased to meet you too...don't forget the Krup at the end.

[size="5"]...currently studying the "Thai BG's mind"...it's gonna take a long long time and many more visits to LOS...[/size]

...bpen yung ai bang...crap spelling too but polite also... :Banghead2:

[size="5"]...currently studying the "Thai BG's mind"...it's gonna take a long long time and many more visits to LOS...[/size]

สบายดีไหม - sabai dee mai (you are doing well, yes ?)

สบายดีหรือเปล่า - sabai dee reu plao (are you ok or not ?)

สบายดีไหม - sabai dee mai (you are doing well, yes ?)

สบายดีหรือเปล่า - sabai dee reu plao (are you ok or not ?)

In the west, saying "how are you" is a common and appropriate greeting. I've been told that with Thais, you'd only ask "sabai dee mai" to someone you know well. It's considered a personal question that's not casually posed to just anyone.

In the west, saying "how are you" is a common and appropriate greeting. I've been told that with Thais, you'd only ask "sabai dee mai" to someone you know well. It's considered a personal question that's not casually posed to just anyone.

Right. A lot of this whole discussion depends on who you are talking to and their status level, etc

mueng bpen gnai mang wa!. = ( how the hell/fuck are you )..

or just ( bpen gnai mang ) = ( how are you )

"mueng" just makes it more insulting...

dont use " krup " with this one. it will just sound super gay...

yeah only use it when you are talking to good friends.

Edited by Gobby

its BETTER to be PISSED OFF then PISSED ON!!!..

Another fine lesson from the Gobby school of charm!

ความจริงเป็นสิ่งที่ไม่ตายแต่คนพูดความจริงอาจจะตาย                 

The truth is immortal but people who speak it aren't - Thai proverb

Karl's Thailand - My YouTube Channel

I wouldn't be using "mu_ng" (fuck you) or " guu" (fuck me) at all unless with very close mates.

I think I've only used "guu" once when i said to a mate: guu peu_n maa rab/ laa_w/ - fuck me friend come pickup me already

Tend to shy away from swearing in Thailand as its pretty impolite and not part of mainstream chat like in the west.

Some greetings that I use:

Sawadee krab/ - hello

Sabaii jay dii may krab / - feeling good heart?

Bpen yang\ ngai baang^ - Hows it going (or literally "to be how")

Waa^ ngay - Whats up! (only used with very close friends as if said to stranger can mean to want to start trouble)

My understanding of women goes only as far as the pleasures.

-- Michael Caine (Alfie, 1966)

I thought directly translated goo and mung(มึง) were just 'I' and 'you', but old words that are now considered insulting. Usage only really reserved for certain negative situations, e.g. "goo mai chawp kow(him/her)" would work, but not "goo chawp gin somtam".

Edited by herds

hello,

question in regards to the response to กินข้าวหรือยัง (gin khao reu yang - have you eaten yet ?)

กินข้าวแล้ว (gin khao laao) OR just กินแล้ว (gin laao) when you have already had something to eat ?

ยังไม่กิน (yang mai gin) OR just ยัง (yang) when you have not ?

i'm guessing that you could also use

อิ่มแลัวหรือยัง (im laao reu yang)

and respond with ? . .

อิ่มแลัว (im laao)

ยังไม่อิ่ม (yang mai im)

hello,

question in regards to the response to กินข้าวหรือยัง (gin khao reu yang - have you eaten yet ?)

กินข้าวแล้ว (gin khao laao) OR just กินแล้ว (gin laao) when you have already had something to eat ?

ยังไม่กิน (yang mai gin) OR just ยัง (yang) when you have not ?

i'm guessing that you could also use

อิ่มแลัวหรือยัง (im laao reu yang)

and respond with ? . .

อิ่มแลัว (im laao)

ยังไม่อิ่ม (yang mai im)

Well your Thai grammar is correct but I wouldn't use 'Im laow ruu yang' as a greeting. 'Kin khao ruu yang', however is often a greeting because they don't always mean it literally.

Is กินข้าวหรือยัง basically just used the way the English may say "what about this weather hey" or "raining again" i.e. you don't really have an interest, but it's a way to start the conversation. I guess perhaps because the English are interested in the weather and thais are interested in eating food?

Edited by herds

Is กินข้าวหรือยัง basically just used the way the English may say "what about this weather hey" or "raining again" i.e. you don't really have an interest, but it's a way to start the conversation. I guess perhaps because the English are interested in the weather and thais are interested in eating food?

Well that's a good description when it's used as an initial greeting. They use the Chinese equivelant a lot in Taiwan and I was always treating it as a serious question lol.

thanks Herds !

i always took it literally (was wondering why i always was being asked if i had eaten yet). actually on the phone with a thai friend right now. right off the bat > กินข้าวหรือยัง

aitch

I thought directly translated goo and mung(มึง) were just 'I' and 'you', but old words that are now considered insulting. Usage only really reserved for certain negative situations, e.g. "goo mai chawp kow(him/her)" would work, but not "goo chawp gin somtam".

You would be able to say both.

You would be saying "Fucking dont like him/her" or " Fucking like eating somtam". Although the last one may sound a little extreme to say 555.

Just watch the movie "The Dorm" on Youtube. You will hear the kids saying these two words quite alot during the movie. It's especially popular among kids and teenagers to try and show how macho they are with their friends. Sort of like when we take the piss out of our mates over here when saying something like "fucking shut up", or "you fucking idiot" or whatever.

Great movie though.

ha loh

kaw/ jay wa ;-)

Another fine lesson from the Gobby school of charm!

55555.. what are you talking about. this is all guess work.

---------

yeah like i posted before. only use goo and meung with close friends.. you will hear alot of thais in a big group of friends talking like this.

i think using the word make it insulting ( if you make it SOUND insulting. )or if you use it right it can make a conversation very personal ( in a good way )..

lets say you are talking to your brother / cousin ...

example. " tom meung gaw ru wa goo lek mueng " = " tom you already know that i fucking love you "..

2# -" goo ja ka mueng " = " im gonna fucking kill you "...lol...

Edited by Gobby

its BETTER to be PISSED OFF then PISSED ON!!!..

• 2 weeks later...