IGNORED

Pattaya Bay Resort

scoda

I'm planning my first trip to Thailand in January. After reading over various hotel recommendations, I noticed that a lot of BM's recommended this hotel. My question is did anybody notice that they are charging a 7% tax starting in November? At 1399 baht plus a 7% tax for a standard room, is this place worth almost a 50% increase of what they are charging now?

Also, are the extra taxes something all hotels are going to start doing in November?

I received the below reply from Pattaya Bay Resort. Hopefully it answers the questions.

In May of this year, Thailand implemented a new law requiring anyone who rents rooms, daily, weekly, monthly; houses, apartments, condo's, hotels, etc. to register and pay 7% VAT. Since we had already published our low season rates and accepted reservations, we chose to absorb the cost until high season. However, effective 01 November 2009, all published room rates and charges will be subject to an additional 7% tax.

This is the first increase we have had in two years and we believe we continue to offer an exceptional value for the level of services delivered.

Kim E. Johansen

Managing Director

Pattaya Bay Resort

Pattaya Bay Resort

236/21 Moo 10, Soi 15 & Second Rd. (City of Pattaya)

Nongprue, Banglamung, Chonburi, THAILAND 20260

+66 (0) 38 724-222 - Telephone +66 (0) 38 724-229 - FAX [email protected] - email

Testicles

wrong post, disregard

Edited by badboy15001

These lawmakers sire know how to attract tourists..............NOT !!!!! :Gift3:

Hedonist

No bad grammer or spelling mistakes here !!!!

Its the all new language i have invented called "Typonese"

Copies of the book and DVDs are on sale and are availible at the main desc at the exit sine

i think pattaya bay resort is good value in low season,bit expensive in high season for basic hotel.

PBR is great...the staff is courteous, the manager is very involved. Security dont talk to your girls. Rooms are just fine. Housekeepers are very nice and do a fabulous job. I have enjoyed each and every stay there...I think 5 now.

But after doing the same routine on the past several trips, I've decided to change it up and not stay there this month. I'm booked at Galaxy Suites. I hope I dont regret skipping out on my usual, dependable hotel. We shall see.

I received the below reply from Pattaya Bay Resort. Hopefully it answers the questions.

In May of this year, Thailand implemented a new law requiring anyone who rents rooms, daily, weekly, monthly; houses, apartments, condo's, hotels, etc. to register and pay 7% VAT. Since we had already published our low season rates and accepted reservations, we chose to absorb the cost until high season. However, effective 01 November 2009, all published room rates and charges will be subject to an additional 7% tax.

This is the first increase we have had in two years and we believe we continue to offer an exceptional value for the level of services delivered.

Kim E. Johansen

Managing Director

Pattaya Bay Resort

Pattaya Bay Resort

236/21 Moo 10, Soi 15 & Second Rd. (City of Pattaya)

Nongprue, Banglamung, Chonburi, THAILAND 20260

+66 (0) 38 724-222 - Telephone +66 (0) 38 724-229 - FAX [email protected] - email

Thanks Shuggy. I guess the other hotels are including the additional 7% in their prices. Anyway, it seems to me like there a lot more options in this price range now.

PBR is the only place I've yet found (while reserching a November trip) that has published the 7% as an add-on. Admittedly some are being a bit shy about providing any rate for November at all ! It's about 100 Baht on the price of a standard room so, if you like the sound of the place, I wouldn't let that put you off.

• 1 month later...

i agree with the friends above.......i stayed in Pattaya Bay Resort from 01-09-2009 until 11-09-2009......in the deluxe room.....i was paying 1600 Baht/per day but because i stayed more than 7 days i had this offer they had(if you stay 7 days you pay only 6!!!!).......the room was very good.....and the staff very nice(receprion.....security.......maids.....everybody).......my friends were at the standard rooms(standard rooms were 999 baht/per day)and because they did not eat breakfast,they had more discount in this price!!!!

The only bad thing was that they have some new construction(they built a new elevator) and had a little noise in the afternoon....

I surely will go again there...

HI can anyone tell me if the standard rooms have safes big enough to hold an average size laptop? My whole life is on that thing!

This version of me will not stay the same, tomorrow I will be different.

PBR is the only place I've yet found (while reserching a November trip) that has published the 7% as an add-on. Admittedly some are being a bit shy about providing any rate for November at all ! It's about 100 Baht on the price of a standard room so, if you like the sound of the place, I wouldn't let that put you off.

When I was researching places to stay for my trip coming up (woot one week to go) very few mentioned the tax until I asked for a total price.

All of them brought up the 7% tax at that point.

As someone who lives in a tourist economy town in the states I have to say that IMO an occupancy tax is a fair way for the municipality to defray the costs of providing the infrastructure needed to support the tourists while they are in town.

It comes out to maybe 50 baht a day where I'm staying, not a hardship.

HI can anyone tell me if the standard rooms have safes big enough to hold an average size laptop? My whole life is on that thing!

I have just got back from staying at the PBR in a deluxe room I found it to be a very good hotel, as others have mentioned the staff are friendly and for a basic hotel is has everything you need. The free nights room for every six you book in low season makes it a bit of a bargain and I made loads of use of the free tuk-tuk service.

It is close enough to The Avenue (for shopping and money exchanging) and to second road that getting around is no problem. It’s also within easy reach of LK Metro and Devils Den!

I would defiantly consider returning , the only downside is that there is currently a ‘shanty’ town directly in front of the hotel - see the photo below. Whilst I never once had any problems with the occupants it is a bit of a blight.

Re the laptop - unless your laptop is very small it will not fit in the hotel safe.

You are not allowed to use that image extension on this board - hmmm not sure what I am doing wrong!!!!

Edited by The Storm

How far is the walk to Walking Street and to Soi 7/8?

Is it a hassle to get back with a girl from these locations?

Thanks.

You don't have to walk to many places. Just jump on a baht bus, they come round every few seconds. I pay between 10 - 20B depending on the distance. If you stay in accomm near the bus route - beach road/second road - travelling around is a breeze.

I wouldn't like to walk from Walking St to Soi 7!

My Pattaya budget is perfectly adequate as long as I don't spend any of it

You don't have to walk to many places. Just jump on a baht bus, they come round every few seconds. I pay between 10 - 20B depending on the distance. If you stay in accomm near the bus route - beach road/second road - travelling around is a breeze.

I wouldn't like to walk from Walking St to Soi 7!

Thanks mate, but specifically, walking from PBR to WS and PBR to Soi 7 and getting back with a TG from these locations.

Cheers.

It's probably a 10-15 minute walk to Soi7 or Walking Street depending on how much of a load you are carrying. But do yourself a favor and like the other guy said take a Baht Bus, your TGF won't be too happy with you if you make her walk from either place.

• 3 weeks later...

see a couple of videos of the Pattaya bay resort deluxe room and the swimming pool

Lots of good things written here about PBR. Many BM's love it. For me it is a little out of the way. I always stay on Soi 13, for me it just "feels" closer to the main action without being too noisy. I like being near WS and Beach Road. Late at night, with a TG in tow I usually don't even take the baht bus, I go stright to the moto taxi so I can get door to door service.

Happy Hunting

Yeah I stayed here and it was great, I paid on a day-to-day basis, so I got shifted around rooms a bit. they still gave me the free night for a week's stay so that was good. free breakfast for 2 is generous and shows the extent they are lady friendly. Nice staff working there. Couple of hints, leave a small tip at breakfast (20 baht or more), and your breakfast will greatly improve; same for room service. Smiling and behaving decently also seems to help -- but it can be difficult to maintain the nice guy image after a few days and a few ladies come over! For off season this is a great place to stay - prices jump a bit fro high season +500b

This version of me will not stay the same, tomorrow I will be different.

Yeah I stayed here and it was great, I paid on a day-to-day basis, so I got shifted around rooms a bit. they still gave me the free night for a week's stay so that was good. free breakfast for 2 is generous and shows the extent they are lady friendly. Nice staff working there. Couple of hints, leave a small tip at breakfast (20 baht or more), and your breakfast will greatly improve; same for room service. Smiling and behaving decently also seems to help -- but it can be difficult to maintain the nice guy image after a few days and a few ladies come over! For off season this is a great place to stay - prices jump a bit fro high season +500b

I have stayed here since it very first openened and love it. For 1000baht low season you cannot go wrong, very clean, location is nearby what you need but not enough to get swamped... go for it

Lots of good things written here about PBR. Many BM's love it. For me it is a little out of the way. I always stay on Soi 13, for me it just "feels" closer to the main action without being too noisy. I like being near WS and Beach Road. Late at night, with a TG in tow I usually don't even take the baht bus, I go stright to the moto taxi so I can get door to door service.

Happy Hunting

Where do you stay in Soi 13?