Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

Aussie Gets Life For Trafficking

hansum man

Here is a reminder for everyone that trafficking drugs in Thailand means either death or life imprisonment.

In the current economic climate it may seem like an easy way out. Earn $500,000 for a few days work and you are on easy street but get caught and you are finished.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/breakingnews/30109169/Australian-man-gets-life-imprisonment-for-heroin-s

Original story

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,25197,24826157-25837,00.html

Edited by hansum man

What can you say, he knew the risks involved. 50 years in Bangkok Hilton, wow. My sympathies go to his family especially his daughter. Interesting post.

Semper Fi

What can you say, he knew the risks involved. 50 years in Bangkok Hilton, wow. My sympathies go to his family especially his daughter. Interesting post.

What usually happens with most UK nationals are that they spend about three years in a Thai jail (which I can imagine must be a like a life sentence in itself)before being transferred to a UK prison, and about five years later, they are then pardoned by the King.

Personally, I am opposed to the death penalty under any circumstances, and it is frequently stated in America, that if you are poor and black, you are more likely to be executed than if you are rich and white. I understand that though excecutions are not very common in Thailand, when they do take place, it is usally Thais or those from the surrounding countries who face this.

There is a school of thought that says that sooner or later, the Thai authorities will have to execute the occassional farang in order to show evenhandedness.

" We didn't necessarily believe you. We believed your $50". Sam Spade (Humphrey Bogart) "The Maltese Falcon"

"What did it matter where you lay once you were dead? In a dirty sump or in a marble tower on top of a high hill? You were dead, you were sleeping the big sleep, you were not bothered by things like that. Oil and water were the same as wind and air to you." Raymond Chandler: The Big Sleep

The things people will do for money!!!!

Sad story...buy he knew the possible outcome

200px-Papillon_book.jpgDamage done.jpg51T4KG9ZHML._SS500_.jpgprison3.jpgHe obviously didn't read.....

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$AFBADGE.jpg

What usually happens with most UK nationals are that they spend about three years in a Thai jail (which I can imagine must be a like a life sentence in itself)before being transferred to a UK prison, and about five years later, they are then pardoned by the King.

Absolute bollocks - Suggest you come to BKK and go and visit the prison and see for yourself.

Edited by Bangkok1bob

He was aware of the risk involved of trafficing but he still chose to do it.I don't feel sorry for him but i do feel sorry for his family as they are innocent.They will go through hell because of his stupid decision.

He was aware of the risk involved of trafficing but he still chose to do it.I don't feel sorry for him but i do feel sorry for his family as they are innocent.They will go through hell because of his stupid decision.

Yeah best to get a job and earn money the hard way....or in his case it would now be the easy way. Everyone has made a bad decision or 15 but that one is a fucking bad choice.

Won't he get pardoned in a few years, or be transferred to an Aussie jail? Especially if his family has even a little money, they can definitely do something back-channel to get him out of there.

Absolute bollocks - Suggest you come to BKK and go and visit the prison and see for yourself.

I can tell you that there have been several exchanges of UK nationals from LOS to serve their sentence in the UK. Where it happens, the law of the country where you are convicted applies as far as parole is concened. Assuming that you qualify for parole after one third of your sentence in the UK, but are convicted in Thailand, your right to parole is governed by Thai Law. This is to avoid situations such as the government sponsored bombing of the Rainbow Warrior by France, where the prisoners were allowed to "serve" their sentence in french custody on a Pacific Island, and released by the French gov after only a few months.

I would correct my use of the word "usually" as it is quite rare, and what I should have said is that where this happens, they are usually granted a pardon by the King after seving part of their sentence. You are right to the extent that it is not 'usual'. It is done as a prisoner exchange, on a like for like basis, so if the prisoner has say 15 years left on theeir sentence, the Uk would repatriate a Thai serving a similar sentence. Also, I understand that part of the criteria for this is that the offenders have to be serving a minimum sentence and that this minimum must still be outstanding at the time of repatriation. As an example, if the minimum remaining sentence is five years, and you are sentenced to seven years, if you are not transferred within the first two years of your sentence, you have 'missed the boat'.

I don't recall the name, though I might be able to find it, but the most high profile case was of an Englishwoman caught with drugss at BKK airport. Her story was shown on a TV series called "Banged Up Abroad". Off the top of my head, she was sentenced to 20 years, served three in Thailand, and was then returned to the UK where she served another five years. Her sentence was ended when a prison officer came to the door of her cell, and told her, the King of Thailand had granted her a pardon, and she could leave straight away.

Edited by Thaihigh

" We didn't necessarily believe you. We believed your $50". Sam Spade (Humphrey Bogart) "The Maltese Falcon"

"What did it matter where you lay once you were dead? In a dirty sump or in a marble tower on top of a high hill? You were dead, you were sleeping the big sleep, you were not bothered by things like that. Oil and water were the same as wind and air to you." Raymond Chandler: The Big Sleep

Yes Thaihigh I saw that episode where the girl served the rest of her sentence back home.

The problem for this bloke is he doesn't hold a British passport. The Australian government are either not concerned or unable to do anything for us when we get in strife in a foreign country.

An example of the difference is we had a bloke called Hicks locked up in Guantanamo for years without trial and when the Brits got their prisoners out he applied for a British passport as one of his parents or grandparents was born there. He got knocked back as it would have embarrassed the Australian government prior to an election and he eventually got let out after he admitted guilt.

If you get caught up in trouble of your own doing or not, an Aussie passport is worth nothing compared to a British or U.S. passport. It is just a fact that the U.K. and U.S hold a lot of sway in the world and we don't.

Beats me why anyone would ever be so stupid. I am against the death penalty but sometimes people are asking for it. He should count himself lucky he did not get the death penalty. I feel sorry for him but ultimately the only one to blame for his situation is himself.

Beats me why anyone would ever be so stupid. I am against the death penalty but sometimes people are asking for it. He should count himself lucky he did not get the death penalty. I feel sorry for him but ultimately the only one to blame for his situation is himself.

As I said earlier, the time may come when the Thais might feel that they have to execute a Farang, just to show evenhandedness.

It is a sad story indeed, but a common one. You hear many stories of people trying to smuggle drugs out of thailand and still they are getting caught. He knew the risks ans now he has to pay for them.

I read the book by Sandra Greggory "Forget you had a daughter" which is a superb read.

My feelings go out to his family and what they are going to go though also.

It is a sad story indeed, but a common one. You hear many stories of people trying to smuggle drugs out of thailand and still they are getting caught. He knew the risks ans now he has to pay for them.

I read the book by Sandra Greggory "Forget you had a daughter" which is a superb read.

My feelings go out to his family and what they are going to go though also.

Sandra Gregory: That was the one on Banged Up Abroad. Thanks for that.

With regard to the rest of your post, it occurs to me that leaving most Western countries, apart from weapons searches, there is very little attention paid to what you take out of the country. In places like thailand, you have the problem of smuggling the stuff out of the country, with very high penalties if you are caught, and then the reverse when you land. Double jeopardy!

I know one of the most common smuggling devices is a body pack. I am just wondering if anyone has ever been caught as a result of the metal detector going off, and the subsequent rub down. I ask this because there is one particular metal detector that I have gone through at DUB, that always goes off if I don't remove my glasses. "The best laid plans of mice and men". What I am trying to say, is that once you decide to do something like this, there are about billion ways you can screw up.

On another episode of Banged Up Abroad, I recall seeing the story of a Brit (I think) who was just about to clear customs. It was the officers first day on the job. The supervisor agreed that they could pass, and then as an afterthought, asked the trainee if he had ever down a 'rub down'. He then asked the Brit, "Do you mind if he practtices on you"? Go directly to Jail. Do not pass go. Do not collect £200.

• 1 month later...

I feel sorry for his family but he trying to make money out of other peoples miosery so I have no sympathy for him I hope he does'nt bleat about the monkey house while I don't believe in the death penalty under any circumstances its only amatter of time before a falang gets the death penalty and it is enforced in thailand I will have no sympathy for tham if they are guilty because it is stated in the arrivals hall when u arrive and when in rome u should'nt expect to be treated differently to the locals because of the colour of your skin and besides that I have abrother who is addicted to drugs so I know how it affects lives negatively of those who are around them

I can feel an angel sliding up to me nz immigrants raising the IQ of both countries pattaya makes a humble man hard

Personally, I am opposed to the death penalty under any circumstances, and it is frequently stated in America, that if you are poor and black, you are more likely to be executed than if you are rich and white. I understand that though excecutions are not very common in Thailand, when they do take place, it is usally Thais or those from the surrounding countries who face this.

There is a school of thought that says that sooner or later, the Thai authorities will have to execute the occassional farang in order to show evenhandedness.

so you only get the death penalty if your poor and black

Men fall in love by their eye`s, woman fall in love by their ear`s.

It can't be three years since Singapore hung an Australian for drug smuggling. Then, there are the 'Bali 9' Aussie drug smugglers in Bali. This clown cannot say he didn't have due warning of the consequences of drug offences in SE Asia. He did the crime and has to do the time; but at least he won't be introducing a new generation of Australians to heroin.

When a man is tired of Pattaya, he is tired of life.

An Agent of DOOM - defenders of older men