IGNORED

Nokia N95

MadStockBroker

Guest Qwert06

Not yet, tried it last night but got bored after of 5 mins looking like i was inspector cluso with his magnafying glass

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Qwert06

DO NOT BUY ONE OF THESE FUCKING PHONES THEY ARE TOTAL SHIT!!!

I AM ON MY 2ND IN 3 WEEKS AND IT'S PLAYING UP ALREADY!!!!!

Whatever you want to call it, the N95 is expensive. Every once in a while, though, I get the urge to buy a new toy of some sort. The other day I was in a bar and people there were having great fun taking movies of each other and taking pics, all with their phones. At that point I got the idea that a new phone might be fun. Totally unnecessary, but fun.

My current phone is a rather basic Samsung flip-phone with a camera, but the camera isn't so good. Of course, the phone part works fine.

Looking at all the phone reviews just drove me crazy, though. Has anyone tried a Nokia N-80 Internet edition? That was the last thing I was looking at. It would be fun to have a phone with Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, and an Internet browser. Good for checking stock quotes, Email, and so on.

I also saw a new phone Motorola is coming out with, the Motorola MOTORIZR Z8. That looked pretty slick.

Rex

Guest Qwert06
Whatever you want to call it, the N95 is expensive. Every once in a while, though, I get the urge to buy a new toy of some sort. The other day I was in a bar and people there were having great fun taking movies of each other and taking pics, all with their phones. At that point I got the idea that a new phone might be fun. Totally unnecessary, but fun.

My current phone is a rather basic Samsung flip-phone with a camera, but the camera isn't so good. Of course, the phone part works fine.

Looking at all the phone reviews just drove me crazy, though. Has anyone tried a Nokia N-80 Internet edition? That was the last thing I was looking at. It would be fun to have a phone with Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, and an Internet browser. Good for checking stock quotes, Email, and so on.

I also saw a new phone Motorola is coming out with, the Motorola MOTORIZR Z8. That looked pretty slick.

Rex

I'm lucky in that i get my phones for free due to my brother working in the mobile phone business. He gave me the N95 for free but i have been using Sony Ericsson for years and have never had a problem. They are easy to use. This fucking Nokia thing is slowwwwwwwwwwwwwww, and it is my 2nd one in 3 weeks as the head set went on the first one.it does take great pics though (5 mega pixels and DVD like filming) but they wanted to beat Sony with this standard of film and photo type phone and have rushed it, and to put it mildly made a bad job of it. Wait till Sony have got the same kind of film and photo as the N95. I asked my brother when that'll be and he said about Xmas as they want to get it perfect.

Has anyone tried a Nokia N-80 Internet edition?

I have the standard N80, but all the software loaded on it is for the Internet Edition and it works just like an internet edition

I have been able to use it with VoIP using Gizmo and there are other applications available for VoIP also

I am happy with mine, but sometimes wonder why the camera response is so slow

Thanks for the info guys. It seems like no matter when you look, there's always something new and better around the corner. I did see a few reviews, though, from people who were having problems with their Nokia N95. Maybe I'll have a look t the Sony Ericssons.

Rex

• 2 months later...

I got a N95 never did get the GPS working in the UK now in Thailand I cannot get it working, what is your provider and what tariff do you guys use?

Did you get the web working also.

On reliability, I had the mic go on me, had to go back to Nokia and I got a brand new one. Pics are good on it and as you know the battery is really not good

• 2 weeks later...

has anyone else had more problems with it?

One night i sat and fucked about with mine, in a trial and error type of way. there are great features on it.

BUT my battery now last about 8 hours and thats with zero useage!!!!

I really like my N95, although I have not used it in Thailand. If you are having problems with yours it is worth remembering that you can download new operating software from www.nokia.com. They update it from time to time to get fid of reported glitches.

ความจริงเป็นสิ่งที่ไม่ตายแต่คนพูดความจริงอาจจะตาย                 

The truth is immortal but people who speak it aren't - Thai proverb

Karl's Thailand - My YouTube Channel

• 2 weeks later...

i agree Q mine crashes all the time. fucking shite!

Without a family a rich man is very poor

My first one I returned after 2 days-the battery was totally crap. Got a Motorola Z8-keys froze, multimedia too fuckin complicated. My mate's N95 had no problems-got another one free and now have no problems for the last month,great internet speed and battery okay... Think u must get updated software..

Every action has an equal and opposite reaction - "it was just the internet.." is not an excuse.

My first one I returned after 2 days-the battery was totally crap. Got a Motorola Z8-keys froze, multimedia too fuckin complicated. My mate's N95 had no problems-got another one free and now have no problems for the last month,great internet speed and battery okay... Think u must get updated software..

I'm going to take mine back tommoroow to my brothers shop to see what they say. hed told me to come up but the battery is a problem that they can't do anything about.

BUt Sony are bringing out a phone that is the same next month so i might just that as sony are a mile ahead of Nokia

I am a bit surprised that so many of you do not like your N95. Personally I love mine, sure the battery does not last long enough but it must take quite some power to run a phone with this many features.

It is obviously aimed at the more technically minded and would be overkill if you are not the type to use most of the features. I love the way you can set it up to check for new emails every 30 mins (or less frequently if you like). The Sat Nav feature is great, especially if you download the maps to your memory card in advance. I have just installed the Nokia Thailand map and I am impressed with the amount of detail on it (it even shows the little alleys that go between Soi 6 and Soi 6/1.

It is definitely worth upgrading the operating software on the phone as I mentioned in a previous post. Nokia release new versions from time to time to correct reported problems. I even managed, with a little trickery to convert mine to a version with English and Thai script.

Third party software can be cheaply purchased on the Internet to add to the phones functionality. I use one that gives me complete control over who can call me and who cannot with unwanted callers being cut-off or diverted before the phone even rings and desired phone calls being accepted as usual. How useful is that in a place like Pattaya?

In conclusion I would say that to get the most from this phone you really need to look into all the techy options and set it up the way you like it. Being a bit of a techy I think that it is the best mobile phone I have ever owned

I am a bit surprised that so many of you do not like your N95. Personally I love mine, sure the battery does not last long enough but it must take quite some power to run a phone with this many features.

It is obviously aimed at the more technically minded and would be overkill if you are not the type to use most of the features. I love the way you can set it up to check for new emails every 30 mins (or less frequently if you like). The Sat Nav feature is great, especially if you download the maps to your memory card in advance. I have just installed the Nokia Thailand map and I am impressed with the amount of detail on it (it even shows the little alleys that go between Soi 6 and Soi 6/1.

It is definitely worth upgrading the operating software on the phone as I mentioned in a previous post. Nokia release new versions from time to time to correct reported problems. I even managed, with a little trickery to convert mine to a version with English and Thai script.

Third party software can be cheaply purchased on the Internet to add to the phones functionality. I use one that gives me complete control over who can call me and who cannot with unwanted callers being cut-off or diverted before the phone even rings and desired phone calls being accepted as usual. How useful is that in a place like Pattaya?

In conclusion I would say that to get the most from this phone you really need to look into all the techy options and set it up the way you like it. Being a bit of a techy I think that it is the best mobile phone I have ever owned

Cheers for info mate.

I took off the nikia PC suit as i could'nt work out how to use it :Hate_Computer: but i am dling it agin. as i was using the card reader to up load pics and the little gate on the side is not a bit fragile. Any starightforward tips on how to get my pics to DL and UL from phone to PC via the USB, but being able to stick the pics in my own picture folder............

Cheers

Cheers for info mate.

I took off the nikia PC suit as i could'nt work out how to use it :) but i am dling it agin. as i was using the card reader to up load pics and the little gate on the side is not a bit fragile. Any starightforward tips on how to get my pics to DL and UL from phone to PC via the USB, but being able to stick the pics in my own picture folder............

Cheers

Sure, reinstall Nokia PC suite (to load the drivers) but you do not need to open this programme to transfer your pictures either way. When you connect your phone to the PC via the USB cable you will get a choice of connection options displayed on your N95. Choose "mass storage"(this will make your PC treat the N95 as another hard drive) within a few seconds a window should open on your PC. Choose to "open folder and show contents" a folder will open showing the contents of your phone and memory card. You then just drag the photos from your PC into the "Images" subfolder on your N95 or open the sub folder and drag the pictures from your N95 to the PC. Hope this is not too confusing. I am out there in October so if you are in Pattaya and want any help setting your phone up just let me know.

Edited by panyaa

Sure, reinstall Nokia PC suite (to load the drivers) but you do not need to open this programme to transfer your pictures either way. When you connect your phone to the PC via the USB cable you will get a choice of connection options displayed on your N95. Choose "mass storage"(this will make your PC treat the N95 as another hard drive) within a few seconds a window should open on your PC. Choose to "open folder and show contents" a folder will open showing the contents of your phone and memory card. You then just drag the photos from your PC into the "Images" subfolder on your N95 or open the sub folder and drag the pictures from your N95 to the PC. Hope this is not too confusing. I am out there in October so if you are in Pattaya and want any help setting your phone up just let me know.

I am in the UK now mate. The one thing i have always done with PC's and phones is trial and error along with tips from guys like yourself and Pau off here. I have just sat for an hour and basicaly fucked about with it and now got what i want. The thing i was doing wrong was when i up loaded onto my phone when i got it, i could'nt find the music and pics i had up loaded, i know know i need to do it on my phone again when i disconnect by using "the refresh music and auto transfer option in imigaes and video" I am very sure there is an easier way to do it but that'll do for a dumbo with me. I also updated the phone in the PC suit and it sat for about 4 or 5 mins doing what ever so i think i am up and running now.

When i first got it i hated it as i have been with sony for years and they are easy to use,as i say i get phones thrown at me by my bro as he high up at carphone warehouse. When i got to LOS it got on my nerves so much i want back to my sony k800i. But then a week or so later i could'nt sleep one night and just sat for a good few hours fucking about with the N95 and got the jist of it.

I WILL go back to sony when they have an equivlent which is out at xmas but i am happy enough with it. As you say the battery is shit, but i know the new N95 is a lot better with the battery.

Thanks for the help :)

Edited by Q

• 1 month later...

I've had mine 6 months now. I still can't decide about it though. It is starting to get a bit flimsy and makinmg a lot of creeking noises that i dont like and it's becoming lose in areas too.

On the plus side, i decided to go back to my Sony ericsson K800i last week for a bit, i like the phone but i missed the N95's desk top as i like to stick dates in it and it's good to see them on the face of the screen.

But i will probaly not get a phone with any sort of slide or flip action because they have a lot more than can go wrong mechanicaly with them as i am slowly starting to see. I like a phone as one unit and my next phone will be back to good old Sony as they are far easier to use and i like the way the files/photos are formed in sony because in nokis if someone is looking over your shoulder they can see things you might not want to, like your TGF :GrinNod1:

The sony phone have much better folder that easily hide pictures and videos from prying eyes.

Bit of a rant but would be intrested to hear what others say that have had the phone a while now......................

• 5 months later...

Never got the bar code scanner to work, i subscribe to the GPS service, works quite well.

As for the phone .... I am now on my 4th!

Wha's like us?