Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

Non-Immigrant B Visa And Border Runs...

EddieHorus

I have just received my Non-Immigrant type B visa for a year and was wondering if I will have to do a border run every 3 months?

Yes, exactly the same as a Non Immigrant "O" VISA, border run ever 3 months, unless you also have a Work Permit.

Alrighty, thanks for the quick replies.

Another question, would I just have to cross the border (say Laos or Cambodia) and then cross back. Or would I have to visit an Embassy and stay there a day before going back over into Thailand?

Edited by EddieHorus

You don't have to leave the country at all. Go to immigration and get an extension of stay for up to a year - you'll have to report to the local immigration office every 90 days. If you then want to leave the country you need to get a re-entry permit from immigration beforehand otherwise the extension is nullified. If you are on a multi-entry you can skip the immigration bit as the border run effectively counts as 90 day reporting.

Whether or not you have a work permit is irrelevant.

Edited by filibuster

My Non-Immigrant type B visa is a multiple entry for 1 year, so would crossing the border, getting it stamped, then crossing back into Thailand the same day be enough without having to visit immigration?

Edited by EddieHorus

My Non-Immigrant type B visa is a multiple entry for 1 year, so would crossing the border, getting it stamped, then crossing back into Thailand the same day be enough without having to visit immigration?

Yes, if you choose to border runs rather than 90 day reporting. Ensure you do your last run shortly befor your visa expires and you will still get a 90 day stamp when you re-enter Thailand. It effectively extends your visa up to 15 months.

Oh, so do I also have the option of just going to an immigration office to report in every 90 days instead of doing a border run? If so, then maybe for the last 90 days I could do a border run for the extra 90 days towards my visa?

I am not sure where I will be living as it will depend on where I can teach, but if the immigration office is closer than a border run I would prefer to just do that.

Edited by EddieHorus

Oh, so do I also have the option of just going to an immigration office to report in every 90 days instead of doing a border run? If so, then maybe for the last 90 days I could do a border run for the extra 90 days towards my visa?

I am not sure where I will be living as it will depend on where I can teach, but if the immigration office is closer than a border run I would prefer to just do that.

No - it's not a mix 'n match. You opt for one or the other; reporting or border runs.

Don't you have a job lined up?

Thanks for the help guys, looks like visa runs it is.

Don't have a job lined up yet, will be taking a TEFL class while I am over there then will see about where there are job opportunities.

you cannot report on a non imm B.. You have to do visa runs

That's not the case at all. The requirements for a one year extension of stay are laid out in Order of the Royal Thai Police Headquarters No.777/2551 - Rules and Conditions in the Consideration of Alien Applications for Temporary Stay in the Kingdom of Thailand. In the case of teachers, the specific requirements are contained at Serial 2.6 and 2.7 depending on whether he/she is employed at a public or private educational establishment. That said, I can't work out how the OP has obtained a Non-Imm B-Type visa for teaching without some sort of contract or offer of employment.

The requirements and documents that need to be produced are below .......

Picture 10.png

Picture 11.png

Edited by filibuster

I was hired/sponsored by a law firm in Thailand who also did my visa application for me.

I was hired/sponsored by a law firm in Thailand who also did my visa application for me.

Where did you get your visa ?

Edit in:

I see now that you paid a US legal company. Their website lays out in some detail the pros and cons of doing border runs or doing an extension of stay on a B-Type.

Why not give them a call to get the correct info?

Extension of Stay

Edited by filibuster

I spoke with them and they said best to do the border runs. I am going to visit their office in BKK when I arrive to sort out the border runs and such.