IGNORED

Robins Nest Soi Buchaoew

I just had breakfast at the Robins Nest Restaurant on soi Buchaoew. I frequently eat here. Although the food is expensive I treat myself, especially after a night of heavy drinking. They offer an all you can eat breakfast for 199 baht. I most like the more than one cup of coffee they offer. As an American I'm spoiled with all you can drink coffee

refills. The menu said said 3 drinks maximum. I thought it meant the coffee and not the crappy orange juice. When I questioned the extra 90 baht I was treated like a dumb fool who had the audacity to question the exulted Thai about a charge. Clearly I was wrong. However, a good business should value a customer instead of rubbing his nose into it. When I ordered a simple clarification of the extra charge would have sufficed. Or when presented with a 300 baht bill for breakfast some rumored Thai friendliness would have helped. There has not been a summer in which I have not spent 3 or 4 thousand baht here. I'm voting with my feet. The Butcher Arms or Crazy Daves will now have my business.

so you have two points here, one is the extra charge for the drinks and the other is the waitress being rude.

About the drink part why did you think the 3 drinks maximum does not include orange juice? Is it posted on the wall or menu?

I just had breakfast at the Robins Nest Restaurant on soi Buchaoew. I frequently eat here. Although the food is expensive I treat myself, especially after a night of heavy drinking. They offer an all you can eat breakfast for 199 baht. I most like the more than one cup of coffee they offer. As an American I'm spoiled with all you can drink coffee

refills. The menu said said 3 drinks maximum. I thought it meant the coffee and not the crappy orange juice. When I questioned the extra 90 baht I was treated like a dumb fool who had the audacity to question the exulted Thai about a charge. Clearly I was wrong. However, a good business should value a customer instead of rubbing his nose into it. When I ordered a simple clarification of the extra charge would have sufficed. Or when presented with a 300 baht bill for breakfast some rumored Thai friendliness would have helped. There has not been a summer in which I have not spent 3 or 4 thousand baht here. I'm voting with my feet. The Butcher Arms or Crazy Daves will now have my business.

So presumably you got all you wanted to eat. You don't say how many coffees you had? You don't mention anything about the menu saying the orange juice was free, so is that the 90 baht or maybe you had 3 coffees and 1 orange juice? Sounds like they mean 3 drinks means 3 drinks. Whatever, 199 + 90 = 289 so how come the bill was 300?

Sounds like American ego + "heavy drinking" (= dumb fool?) meets normal Thai reaction to being accused of being wrong.

Much ado about nowt methinks.

PS. Every time I think I've remembered how to spell Buakhao (?) someone changes it yet again :Bye5:

Edited by mickba

The Butcher Arms or Crazy Daves will now have my business.

Totally agree about Crazy Daves, a great place to breakfast after a night out. However, you may get another surprise at Butchers Arms. The advertised B100 English Breakfast is not going to be what you expect, their "full" English Breakfast is priced at B140 and this does not include tea or coffee so your meal will come out at B180-B190. Maybe still value at this price but you will again feel ripped off.

So presumably you got all you wanted to eat. You don't say how many coffees you had? You don't mention anything about the menu saying the orange juice was free, so is that the 90 baht or maybe you had 3 coffees and 1 orange juice? Sounds like they mean 3 drinks means 3 drinks. Whatever, 199 + 90 = 289 so how come the bill was 300?

Sounds like American ego + "heavy drinking" (= dumb fool?) meets normal Thai reaction to being accused of being wrong.

Much ado about nowt methinks.

PS. Every time I think I've remembered how to spell Buakhao (?) someone changes it yet again :Bye5:

Had dinner at this place 1 week ago and ordered the mixed grill. I asked the waitress what meat was included in the meal and she did not understand. No problem as she got another waitress who told me in detail exactly what was in the mixed grill(the menu did not indicate what was included) Told her I did not like liver or pork and was told "No problem sir I will give you some extra meat to replace liver and pork. This was done and meal was nice and good value at I think around 180 baht but not sure of exact price.

Upon paying the bill and leaving a tip the first waitress came up to me and said "Why you not tell me you no like liver and pork? My reply was you did not tell me what meat was included in the meal remember? With this reply she stormed off. Is this a case of staff thinking they are better than customers?

Would I go back to this place? Yes I would be happy to go back but would hope to avoid the first girl who has an attitude that is not customer friendly.

Canterbury Tales Cafe breakfast includes 2 eggs (any style) 2 bacon, sausage, beans, tomatoe, toast/butter/marmalade, Tea or Coffee & free Orange juice 90 baht.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$AFBADGE.jpg

my friends and I have been to this place on a number of ocassions, we r not skinny people and eat a good feed, but any time we eat here we could not finish the meal, ie far to much on plate and it was beautiful.

Oh and there were a few nice waitresses that I can remember and they were very polite to us Bravo1.gif

BIGSY

The food has gone down hill since my last trip I go to Canterbury Tales I find the food better there now.

Also the owner/manager of the one in Soi Diana is very rude to his staff.

The food has gone down hill since my last trip I go to Canterbury Tales I find the food better there now.

Also the owner/manager of the one in Soi Diana is very rude to his staff.

Yep i have seen that as well the food is nothing special and yet the staff have always been very nice and polite in my own experience and i dont understand why he has that attitude with them in front of the punters

had nightmares with staff there it does not seem to have improved much since my post about it in January!

• 4 weeks later...

Had dinner at this place 1 week ago and ordered the mixed grill. I asked the waitress what meat was included in the meal and she did not understand. No problem as she got another waitress who told me in detail exactly what was in the mixed grill(the menu did not indicate what was included) Told her I did not like liver or pork and was told "No problem sir I will give you some extra meat to replace liver and pork. This was done and meal was nice and good value at I think around 180 baht but not sure of exact price.

Upon paying the bill and leaving a tip the first waitress came up to me and said "Why you not tell me you no like liver and pork? My reply was you did not tell me what meat was included in the meal remember? With this reply she stormed off. Is this a case of staff thinking they are better than customers?

Would I go back to this place? Yes I would be happy to go back but would hope to avoid the first girl who has an attitude that is not customer friendly.

Just a small language barrier at the beginning I think. (just a little bruised ego on her part)

cry2.gif

Time for a Dubie !!

I've been to both many times, and never had any problems. And it sounds like the OP is arguing about a tiny amount of money after not clarifying something cearly visible on the menu. Lets face it, its not the U.S., where - in my experience - some loudmouthed boor feels it necessary to whinge and moan about the smallest triviality in every eating establishment.

BTW, where is Canterbury Tales? I might head down there next time I am in town.