Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

Clothing

bachstrad

Bought back from Pattaya "100% thai silk pyjamas" and it turns out they are polyester ! Is there ANYTHING you can trust in pattaya ?

You can trust that a good proportion of the Thai population will try to screw a farang given half a chance. Figuratively and literally... :D

"When the going gets weird... the weird turn pro" - Hunter S. Thompson

I agreed to buy some Thai silk for a friend in the UK.

Getting it right was very difficult.

All the big malls that sold it charges silly money, and the girl who was with me at the time said it was rubbish.

Eventually I found a Cambodian shop thats part of the market complex opposite the temple near TukCom. Its really tucked away in the back right corner though, in an area that looks like its got no stalls in it.

I've been there twice now and they seemed to do good stuff at a good price.

dont trust the tailors indian unless your in bankock by the nana plaza hes the real deal he has president pictures getting suits i think its rajas the indian tailors in pattaya are not very good in my opinion but somebody must like them because theirs quite a few in business bad bob

Thing is I wouldn't know except had to take it to be altered here in the UK. Must be thousands of people who haven't a clue they've been ripped off. Might decide to take them back on my next trip to see what bullshit they give me but from now 100% thai = 100% fake to me.

Thing is I wouldn't know except had to take it to be altered here in the UK. Must be thousands of people who haven't a clue they've been ripped off. Might decide to take them back on my next trip to see what bullshit they give me but from now 100% thai = 100% fake to me.

I have been told ,if you ask for a small sample,set it on fire.If it is THai silk it will disappear,fake will not.If they will not give you ,walk away.

I have been told ,if you ask for a small sample,set it on fire.If it is THai silk it will disappear,fake will not.If they will not give you ,walk away.

No 100% pure silk will not burn or discolour when exposed to a flame for a few seconds.

I learnt this at the Elephant Village. They have a working loom that produces an amazing 6m of thread a month!

I also tried this trick when buying a kimono at the market near dolphin roundabout.

I asked the guy 'can I check?' Then he shouted 'No!no!' when I brought my lighter out :D

Also, silk will 'catch' on a brick wall before falling to the ground!

sgu_banner.gif

I'm another one who's been conned. I bought a few 'silk' shirts @ 450 bt a time from different Indian tailors around Pattaya one time. I took them back home and my pal took one look at them and said "They're nylon". He cut off a small corner, lit it with his lighter and sure enough it caught fire and melted! I also bought a couple of cheap cotton shirts in Soi Bhukaow market and when I tested them they were also nylon. The only real silk shirts to be had that I've seen are in Mike's Shopping Mall at the Second Rd end opposite Kiss Restaurant. They are about 1200 bt a piece.

When I told the Indian tailor he'd rumped me all he did was try to sell me another one! They are con men and if you argue and understandably get angry they will get you in trouble with the Police. Forget silk shirts from Indian tailors in Pattaya. They know you are on holiday and will take the shirts home. By the time you realise you've been duped you are thousands of miles away, they are well aware of the fact, quids in and extending the hand of friendship to the next mug who walks past their shop. Pass the word if you have any chums contemplating buying silk clothing from Pattaya's legion of Indian rascals. If you do get taken in and buy a suit leave as small a deposit as possible as they have been known to up the agreed price when you arrive to take delivery of your 80 quid 'cashmere wool Savile Row creation'. Deposits are obviously non refundable.

Edited by yogi100