IGNORED

System32 Error

seanie

Been having problems with my pc and was in need of a good clean up so decided to reformat my hard drive.

Everything went ok and it all seems to be running ok but on start up i keep getting this message on my home screen.

Windows cannot find 'C;\WINDOWS\system 32\Pwds.exe'. Make sure you typed the name correctly, and then try again. To search for a file,

Click the start button, and then click search

Have tried goggling it but not found anything other than a couple of chinese sites that i cant understand.

Any of you guys have an idea what i need to do to fix this?

You have the right to remain silent, anything you do say will be taken out of context and used against you!

Component Name: pwd.exe

Description of : Yahoo! Widgets, formerly Konfabulator, is a desktop personalization tool that allows users to have small applications perform a host of tasks like serving as a calculator or checking the weather.

ok just did a search for pwds.exe and got its conected to maleware. So the question now is, how do i get the bugger off. Have avg but thats not picking it up.

You have the right to remain silent, anything you do say will be taken out of context and used against you!

Been having problems with my pc and was in need of a good clean up so decided to reformat my hard drive.

Everything went ok and it all seems to be running ok but on start up i keep getting this message on my home screen.

Windows cannot find 'C;\WINDOWS\system 32\Pwds.exe'. Make sure you typed the name correctly, and then try again. To search for a file,

Click the start button, and then click search

Have tried goggling it but not found anything other than a couple of chinese sites that i cant understand.

Any of you guys have an idea what i need to do to fix this?

Some software loads on STARTUP, Looks like PWDS.EXE (YAHOO WIDGET) is one of them.

You may have deleted the FILE but NOT removed it from the startup settings, thus it believes you WANT to run this program , but you have misplaced it. (maybe you used a spyware remover, that removed the software but not the links)

Look at this link http://www.wikihow.com/Alter-Startup-Programs-in-Windows-XP

it should help REMOVE the program from startup.

Basically it will give you access to ALL the software that loads on startup, you need to look for the YAHOO WIDGET (If thats its name and the commandline C;\WINDOWS\system 32\Pwds.exe, once you find them, deselect them from the list. Then restart your PC all should be ok.)

CHEERS

Edited by Sam Beckett

Some software loads on STARTUP, Looks like PWDS.EXE (YAHOO WIDGET) is one of them.

You may have deleted the FILE but NOT removed it from the startup settings, thus it believes you WANT to run this program , but you have misplaced it. (maybe you used a spyware remover, that removed the software but not the links)

Look at this link http://www.wikihow.com/Alter-Startup-Programs-in-Windows-XP

it should help REMOVE the program from startup.

Basically it will give you access to ALL the software that loads on startup, you need to look for the YAHOO WIDGET (If thats its name and the commandline C;\WINDOWS\system 32\Pwds.exe, once you find them, deselect them from the list. Then restart your PC all should be ok.)

CHEERS

Just tried this Sam but the command line is not on the list under start up!!!

Makes me think i may have something nasty here!!!

skip the first step and it will work, just start-run- and type in msconfig then uncheck Pwds.exe in the startup tab

Just tried this Sam but the command line is not on the list under start up!!!

Makes me think i may have something nasty here!!!

By all accounts the program is not NASTY, that is it is not stealing information etc

And as its not loading it can do NO harm

You just want to stop the annoying windows error

See http://www.fbmsoftware.com/spyware-net/process/pwd_exe/3125/

Another thing you could try is RELOAD it http://download.cnet.com/Yahoo-Widgets/3000-12565_4-10335368.html (assuming thats the version u had)

and then uninstall it , from the ADD/REMOVE option in the control panel

but removing it from the start up should have worked.

Dont know if makes any difference but what i'm getting is Pwds.exe not pwd.exe

Can't RELOAD the yahoo widgets as i've never loaded them in the first place??

Sorry man

I have no more suggestions

Hope there's an expert here that can solve it

good luck

Sorry man

I have no more suggestions

Hope there's an expert here that can solve it

good luck

No problem mate. Thanks for your suggestions.

As you say its not loading so cant do any damage, just a annoying having it keep popping up.

Start - Run - Msconfig.exe

Try unchecking items in the Startup tab, restart, and see what works and what doesn't. Normally that will remove the program call error.

If you can't find the startup tab item to save you, go to the services tab, hide all microsoft services, and try to check and uncheck items, see if that works.

You'll need to restart each time and be intelligent about what you disable, but that should do it.

BTW if you want a command line Start - Run - CMD.exe

That will give you a command line window.