IGNORED

Loy Krathong 2009

themosch

despite my many trips to thailand it will be my first Loy Krathong so as for the subject i am a newbie. the date for this year is monday 2 november 2009. i will arrive on saturday 31 october in late afternoon at pattaya. And my problem is should i travel on the 1st november to koh Chang to watch the festival overthere or stay in pattaya for this event? And my favourite BG will already be waiting at the hotel for me so there is no need to spend the evening in Pats to Catch Me a sleepingmate to take with me to Koh Chang!

Is the festival held on the evening before,the night from sunday 1 november to monday 2, or on the evening of monday 2 november itself?

Which is the best place in Pattaya to watch and experience this festival? And i don't mean the dancing and musicbands but the event with the KHOM FAI's? is it right on the beach or at a river close to pattaya???

the best is in Mae Jo close to Chiang mai but i only will stay in Pattaya and Koh Chang to limit the wasted time for travelling. Which city of both would you advise to watch loy Krathong festival?

640px-LK_loy_krathong_yi_peng_san_sai_HR2.jpg

Edited by themosch

A good girl gives you happiness and a bad girl gives you experience both are essential in life so enjoy every girlfriend!

I would be interested in this info as well as I will be in town at the time.

Would any-one like to help us out here? :D

"When the going gets weird... the weird turn pro" - Hunter S. Thompson

My only experience with Loy Krathong is reading posts on the boards,so YMMV, however ...

Koh Chang is small vs Pattaya, so I would expect it would have a smaller spectacle.

Don't the girls get dressed and made up in elaborate traditional costume for the event? Which seems may be something the BG would like to share with her mates, so if you stay in Pattaya, you may get extra brownie points from her, which may make for an enjoyable stay. Have you considered asking her both her opinion of which is better, and what she would prefer, before you make up your mind what you are going to do?

My only experience with Loy Krathong is reading posts on the boards,so YMMV, however ...

Koh Chang is small vs Pattaya, so I would expect it would have a smaller spectacle.

Don't the girls get dressed and made up in elaborate traditional costume for the event? Which seems may be something the BG would like to share with her mates, so if you stay in Pattaya, you may get extra brownie points from her, which may make for an enjoyable stay. Have you considered asking her both her opinion of which is better, and what she would prefer, before you make up your mind what you are going to do?

Well i did ask her last weekend if in Pattaya the celebrating of loy Krathong was better than in Koh chang; She and her friends didn't know! But she said that in pattaya the event with Khom Fai's didn't take place or at least she didn't know where so i guess not to big in Pats! So that's why i am asking on this forum anybodies experiences!!! Will inform everybody when i get back from my trip!

A good girl gives you happiness and a bad girl gives you experience both are essential in life so enjoy every girlfriend!

I may end up in town for this event. It depends on how things shape up for me in the next month or so. Let me know what you find out though, because from reading reports of the event, it sounds like a fantastic event to see.

i am also in town for these dates..info much sought after...thanx in advance...bb....

Ive experienced 2 Loy Krathong festivals in ChiangMai and was amazed. The city encourages businesses and government employees to "dress up" in typical Krathong attire for about a week prior and then the full monty dress on Loy Krathong. Lots of activity and events planned all over the cit for a full week.

i might be wrong but i thought they all went down to the beach

Well i did ask her last weekend if in Pattaya the celebrating of loy Krathong was better than in Koh chang; She and her friends didn't know! But she said that in pattaya the event with Khom Fai's didn't take place or at least she didn't know where so i guess not to big in Pats! So that's why i am asking on this forum anybodies experiences!!! Will inform everybody when i get back from my trip!

I'll be over then too, not sure where I'll be tho, but I'm looking forward to seeing it, whatever state it takes where I am!

I was there last year for Loy Krathong,I thought it was big in Patts many girls dress up old style.Ya they go to the water to put there offering,they light it and put it in the water.Its one of my favorite Hoildays in Patts next to New Years night which is a Beautiful crazy night.I'll be there again !! :Grin3:

babydollsaddict.gif

Sounds good, I should be over then too.

Something to watch out for :GoldenSmile1:

Loy Krathong is on the 2nd of November so you normally take your Krathong to the waters edge on that evening.

If you are with your tilac,place some money,a few tufts of hair,and some finger nail clippings. Say a prayers together and float your boat.

Loy krathong is on the 2nd of November,so you would normally go to the waters edge that evening.

If you are with your tilac,place some money, tufts of hair and some finger nail clippings in your krathong.

Recite the krathong prayer and float your boat.

http://www.loikrathong.net/en/

Edited by The Sperminator

Loy krathong is on the 2nd of November,so you would normally go to the waters edge that evening.

If you are with your tilac,place some money, tufts of hair and some finger nail clippings in your krathong.

Recite the krathong prayer and float your boat.

http://www.loikrathong.net/en/

Great thanks mate, awesome website about Loy Krathong with good info and nice pics.

Here some pictures from the Chiang Mai festivities 2 years ago. It is said that Ayuttaya and Sukothai have nice festivities too!

92024017.jpg

92029093.jpg

91996530.jpg

92029070.jpg

92024481.jpg

37082552jpg

• 1 month later...

I finally found a vid about loy krathong in pattaya/jomtien. No as big as in other parts of LOS but still nice to see some Thai culture!

Been in Patts for a couple of Loy Katong's. The girls that have traditional dresses,

go all out and look beautiful. Whole familys dressed traditionaly go to the beach,or

any body of water to send offerings and prayers. You can purchase a Katong at the

beach. Some are simple, while others are very intricate. Prices vary as to what you

choose.In any case a very cool holiday parties going on all over town!

i am so fucking spewing, it's my favourite night of the year there.

it's been nov 12 for years, i booked my ticket and holidays for the 6th and find out now they've fucking moved it to the 2nd !.

ini i thought it was the 12 so changed my holiday to a week later,so now dont land in suwanapoomi until 6.40 so should be out in patts by 10,fingers crossed wont have missed too much

href="/monthly_10_2009/post-1-125681518559.png">post-1-125681518559.png

To the OP. Been in Pattaya for quite a few Loy Krathongs. I find it's a lot of fun and quite pretty. But there are no rivers near Pattaya, so you have to float your 'boat' on the ocean, which ends up with a load of crap on the beach in the morning and a sense of disappointment at the time you float it, as the waves just sink it immediately. The lanterns over the bay are quite nice though. The girls also dress up quite nicely. Never been to Koh Chang for the festival; probably has the same problem - no rivers and only sea. Been to Chiang Mai, that was spectacular.

To Slapman. Check your astronomy. Loy Krathong has always been on the night of the full moon. It varies year-to-year through the month of November. The Thai's can't actually move the date of the full moon!

To the OP. Been in Pattaya for quite a few Loy Krathongs. I find it's a lot of fun and quite pretty. But there are no rivers near Pattaya, so you have to float your 'boat' on the ocean, which ends up with a load of crap on the beach in the morning and a sense of disappointment at the time you float it, as the waves just sink it immediately. The lanterns over the bay are quite nice though. The girls also dress up quite nicely. Never been to Koh Chang for the festival; probably has the same problem - no rivers and only sea. Been to Chiang Mai, that was spectacular.

To Slapman. Check your astronomy. Loy Krathong has always been on the night of the full moon. It varies year-to-year through the month of November. The Thai's can't actually move the date of the full moon!

Thanks for the info. As my travelplans has changed i will be in pattaya for Loy krathong so will try to be lucky at the sea that night. Abd you're right that there is no river in pats, for this you have to go to Na Jomtien!

It looks like the pier will be the place to be during the afternoon and evening. They usually have stuff on Beach Road as well.

http://www.pattayamail.com/current/news.shtml#hd2

Loy Krathong festivals set in Pattaya, Naklua for Nov. 2

Community leaders gather to plan celebrations for this year’s Loy Krathong, which falls on November 2.

Pattaya is gearing up to celebrate one of Thailand’s most popular holidays in a big way this year with Loy Krathong festivals slated for both Pattaya and Naklua November 2.

Music, contests and a focus on Thai heritage will take center stage at the Bali Hai Pier and Lan Po Market during the afternoon and evening hours of a holiday often called Thailand’s version of Valentine’s Day.

Pattaya Deputy Mayor Wattana Chantanawaranon said during a planning meeting late last month that the festivities will include a children’s talent show, beauty pageant, concerts, Thai cultural exhibitions, cooking show and, of course, the annual krathong decorating contest. Entertainment begins at 1 p.m. with musicians including Roong Suriya and Lew Ajareeya and comedy troupes.

The krathong contest will be split into categories for students from elementary schools, junior high schools and the general public. Winning floats will be judged on their use of biodegradable materials and must be at least 38 cm wide. Prizes of 3,000-10,000 baht will be awarded. Those interested in participating can apply at the Department of Education or call 038-253-227.

Loy Krathong is held on the full moon of the twelfth month in the traditional Thai lunar calendar, which usually falls in November. “Loy” means “to float” and “Krathong” is a raft traditionally made from banana tree trunk and decorated with elaborately-folded banana leaves, flowers, candles and incense sticks. During the night of the full moon, many people - often couples - will release krathongs into the sea with prayers and wishes for love and good fortune.

Edited by Temujin

"When the going gets weird... the weird turn pro" - Hunter S. Thompson

I celebrated Loy Krathong a couple times at Wat Yan (sorry I do not know the full name, it is the large Temple complex by Pheonix Golf Course). We spent the evening by the lake and had a wonderful time. It is quite a festive evening and one not to miss. I would have to say it only second to Songkran.

I celebrated Loy Krathong a couple times at Wat Yan (sorry I do not know the full name, it is the large Temple complex by Pheonix Golf Course). We spent the evening by the lake and had a wonderful time. It is quite a festive evening and one not to miss. I would have to say it only second to Songkran.

Do you by any chance got some pictures of it???? if yes please post them as i am very interested

I have visited Thailand many times but because of work I've never been in LOS for Loy Krathong. I have seen many photos of Loy Krathong and hopefully one year I can visit Thailand for this festival