IGNORED

First-Time French Tourist attacked and robbed on Pattaya Beach.

badboy15001

Wednesday 15th July 2009

Pattaya, July 15 [PATTAYA ONE NEWS] : Just after 2am on Wednesday, Police were called to Pattaya Beach Road in front of the Best Friend Bar Complex at the southern end of the Beach to assist a French Tourist who had been assaulted. At the scene, officers spoke with Mr. Preveppe aged 52 from France who had sustained facial injuries. While he was being given first aid, he explained that this was his first visit to Pattaya and was sitting on the beach when he was approached by a woman who asked if he wanted sexual services in return for a financial reward. He declined the offer but the woman was persistent and continued to speak with Mr. Preveppe. Three Thai Men then approached him and proceeded to attack him. A Gold necklace, a gold ring and a small bag containing his passport, mobile phone, credit cards and 5,000 Euros in cash were stolen by the men during the attack. Police are now checking Security Cameras at the location while Mr. Preveppe recovers from his injuries and comes to terms with the theft.

http://www.pattayaone.net/news/2009/july/news_15_07_52.shtml

Poor guy and on his first trip. Dreadful thing to happen.

What on earth was he thinking carrying his passport, credit cards and so much cash on him.

I bet he was wearing his gold necklace out on display too. I hope the Thai guys get caught.

They then took his personal effects to the value of 300,000 Baht including a bracelet, ring, personal documents, 5000 Euro in cash, and some Thai cash. Mr. Preneppe’s female companion disappeared with the gang.

i guess he never read addicts

sounds dogey

I have a Problem..... I just can't decide if its a good problem or a bad problem...

Silly to walk on beach rd at 2am with 5 grand of euros... That was very stupid of him.. Hope that will make lots of readers on this forum especially a newbie to be aware of the danger in Pattaya, mainly on beach rd ...

Interesting to see Pattayaone and Pattayadailynews give quite different accounts on a crucial detail....

Whether or not he had sex with the woman before the incident happened.

Nevertheless if this woman had gone to his room then she would have clearly seen that this guy was leaving with personal effects to a considerable value (according to Pattayadailynews it was 300,000 bahts worth)...she could then have tipped off her accomplices on the phone in Thai and the guy would have been none the wiser.

What's the bettig that she suggested to him that after their exertions that it would be a good idea if they went and sat on the beach to soak up the night air......

Cheers for the link.

It makes more sense when i read the pattaya news thing.

I guess he was a bit careless in displaying his wealth, and after they'd done the deed she took him to the beach where her boyfriend and others were waiting.

Bit harsh of them to beat the guys face as well as rob him.

It does seem the tough times in pattaya are bringing out more of this behavour.

I guess if he'd put his valubles in the safe and not been led around the beach a night by a girl he'd only just slept with he would have been ok.

Still seems a bit odd he took everything with him. Unless she was tricking him by telling him he needed the money to buy something.

Edited by hazze

Very sad thing to happen.

Who in their right mind carries 5k euros with them when out in Pattaya especially at that time of day.

Poor fella

Most on this board are either veteran's to Los or veteran travelers. This sort of thing happens in every country. There are many places here in the US that I wouldnt hang out at after dark much less with that much loot on me.

The rules apply to anyone traveling abroad or even in their own country. Use precautions don't be an idiot... Don't walk down dark alley's or paths less traveled after dark PERIOD!!!!

I won't say he deserves it but he should've been more cautious. These are the things that happen when you let your guard down or alcohol take over anywhere your at.

I sincerely wish him a speedy recovery.

PT

To be taking that much cash out with you at that time in that location makes me think this old boy likes claiming on his travel insurance (pay for himself to get back out here...and robbed again)

I say horseshit. He's bloating the figure to make a claim against his travel insurance. 5,000 in Euros? 300,000 baht in valuables or whatever the grand total may be? Horseshit. This guy is looking for a free vacation and then some after being attacked.

This is only one side of the story. Who knows what happened. And WTF are you doing walking around with gold necklaces and rings on? Idiot....sorry....

EDIT: Minty and I typed the same thing at the same time, lol. Also, I FUCKING HATE HAVING TO CLICK EDIT TWICE!!!!!! GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

Edited by SoCo MoFo

Eat. Down. South.

Wednesday 15th July 2009

Pattaya, July 15 [PATTAYA ONE NEWS] : Just after 2am on Wednesday, Police were called to Pattaya Beach Road in front of the Best Friend Bar Complex at the southern end of the Beach to assist a French Tourist who had been assaulted. At the scene, officers spoke with Mr. Preveppe aged 52 from France who had sustained facial injuries. While he was being given first aid, he explained that this was his first visit to Pattaya and was sitting on the beach when he was approached by a woman who asked if he wanted sexual services in return for a financial reward. He declined the offer but the woman was persistent and continued to speak with Mr. Preveppe. Three Thai Men then approached him and proceeded to attack him. A Gold necklace, a gold ring and a small bag containing his passport, mobile phone, credit cards and 5,000 Euros in cash were stolen by the men during the attack. Police are now checking Security Cameras at the location while Mr. Preveppe recovers from his injuries and comes to terms with the theft.

http://www.pattayaone.net/news/2009/july/news_15_07_52.shtml

I hope they catch the robbing bastards and what on earth was he doing on Beach Road at 2am. Looking for trouble or what??? Silly man but I still feel sorry him. That's a painful lesson he won't forget in a hurry. Newbie's beware of Beach Road after midnight.........

Very sad thing to happen.

Who in their right mind carries 5k euros with them when out in Pattaya especially at that time of day.

A complete fool

I say horseshit. He's bloating the figure to make a claim against his travel insurance. 5,000 in Euros? 300,000 baht in valuables or whatever the grand total may be? Horseshit. This guy is looking for a free vacation and then some after being attacked.

Agree completely - nobody in their right mind would carry around that much money anywhere let alone on Beach Rd in the early hours. I have noticed many of these crime reports quote farang and thai being robbed of stupidly high amounts of cash and valuables - insuranace job definitely, I wonder if the police get a cut !

Everytime one of these threads about a violent crime is posted on this site,I'm shocked by the callousness of some of the responses. The fact that this man was carrying a large amount of cash is frankly irrelevant. What is relevant is that he was beaten so severely, that he had to be hospitalized. To imply that he somehow wanted to be attacked so he could apply for compensation from his insurer is wildly speculative, and reflects the writer's opinion without offering any evidence to support this allegation.

Sacre bleu!

Everytime one of these threads about a violent crime is posted on this site,I'm shocked by the callousness of some of the responses. The fact that this man was carrying a large amount of cash is frankly irrelevant. What is relevant is that he was beaten so severely, that he had to be hospitalized. To imply that he somehow wanted to be attacked so he could apply for compensation from his insurer is wildly speculative, and reflects the writer's opinion without offering any evidence to support this allegation.

Yeah it sucks that he got robbed and I wouldn't wish it on anyone. Seriously. But the speculation isn't out of line. Either this guy was a fool and drew a huge target on his back by carrying around so much cash and jewelery in an area in which he was alone and not familiar with, or an opportunist seeking to inflate actual losses at the expense of all others who pay insurance fees. There really isn't much gray area.

We got into the cab - the cab driver said

He recognized my girlie from the back of her head

- The Beastie Boys

Interesting responses. On the one hand, several think it is an insurance scam, while on the other, someone wonders if the Police tortured the suspect to get the names of the suspects so quickly. Here's another scenario: The police ask the suspect where is the other €4,500, at which stage he realises his colleagues have short changed him. I am inclined to believe that the robbery was genuine.

From a personal point of view, I never bother to hide my valuables, though the important stuff is in the safety box. Yet I have never had a penny taken by a BG. At best, they would get less that 10k THB from me if they were that way inclined. I suppose the difference between me aand the French Tourist, is that I would never pick up a girl on Beach Rd.

" We didn't necessarily believe you. We believed your $50". Sam Spade (Humphrey Bogart) "The Maltese Falcon"

"What did it matter where you lay once you were dead? In a dirty sump or in a marble tower on top of a high hill? You were dead, you were sleeping the big sleep, you were not bothered by things like that. Oil and water were the same as wind and air to you." Raymond Chandler: The Big Sleep

not really a response to the article, but a question related to it.

seeing i'm a newbie myself, first trip in sept...what is considered as "the beach road"?

is it the entire beachfront from soi1 till Walking Street or a more specific area?

also getting from Walking Street to letts say Soi6 at night , would 2nd road be a safer option then?

not that articles like this scare me, but if i can avoid any hassle by just taking a 5min detour i'd take it.

not really a response to the article, but a question related to it.

seeing i'm a newbie myself, first trip in sept...what is considered as "the beach road"?

is it the entire beachfront from soi1 till walking street or a more specific area?

also getting from walking street to letts say soi6 at night , would 2nd road be a safer option then?

not that articles like this scare me, but if i can avoid any hassle by just taking a 5min detour i'd take it.

Hi mate, both roads safe as far as I am concerned, many late/24 hour bars on both and well lit etc.

Beach rd is as you say the whole road from the dolphin r'about curve along to the "Pier" and Walking st. I wouldn't let this worry you enough to spoil your first time in Patts. I am sure you wil enjoy it.

<!-- isHtml:1 -->