IGNORED

Possible public shutdown due to Swine Flu

Naja Tom

Just read an article in the Nation newspaper online that the Thai govt. is suggesting a possible shutdown of all public places

such as theaters, schools, etc to stop the massive spread of swine flu in Thailand. It has already been ordered that tutor schools

and internet cafes close for two weeks.

How is this going to affect tourism and will you worry about catching the flu when you come? I am scheduled for a week in October

and again in Dec/Jan for 3 weeks.

When i arrived at Suvarnabhumi had been given a form to fill in regarding swine flu flight number passport number seat number.

Had i had a fever,headache and a few other symptoms were mentioned,i had none filled in the form a put it in the box before you get to immigration.

Two days later i had all the symptoms on the form,not sure but i think i may have had swine flu,spent four days in bed,and felt pretty ill for 2 weeks.

F+*k does that mean my ex wife has arrived........

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$AFBADGE.jpg

Like I always say, you can't live in fear. Flu or no flu...I'm going!

33 days!

According to the travel immunization nurse at my county health department, this upcoming year's batch of flu shots will include the swine flu. It may be available as early as September here in the US. I may massage my schedule to be sure I can get that one before I go.

Edited by furryman

Like I always say, you can't live in fear. Flu or no flu...I'm going!

33 days!

same same me, 10 days :D

Regards:Matrix

When the life as you live it goes titts up, can you press Ctrl-alt-delete to remove it or is that only on the internet?

Posted Image

Most healty adults should be fine even without medical treatement, you'll just have an awfull few days till the virus gets body slammed by your white bloodcells. But mexicanflu in Pattaya would have 2major downsides.Nobody wants to be sick on their holiday , especialy in a place like pattaya. And a large number of people visiting pattaya arent exactly "healthy adults", as in old and the ussual fysical malfunctions coming with age.

Even if an outbreak would occure in pattaya, i'd still go.

Edited by Nevermind

Swine flu?

I'll just add this to the long list of other nastys that I am likely to be in danger of catching when I am in Pattaya....

Bangkok Post

1,200 Thais likely to die of flu

30 million could catch virus over three years

By: POST REPORTERS

Published: 11/07/2009 at 12:00 AM

Newspaper section: News

Up to 30 million Thais are likely to contract influenza type-A (H1N1) and up to 1,200 people could possibly die from it, the Public Health Ministry says.

Of those who contract the virus, only 30,000-130,000 would have symptoms serious enough to warrant hospital admission, said Prasert Thongcharoen, chairman of the ministry's subcommittee overseeing the response to the A (H1N1) flu outbreak.

The figures are based on the panel's estimate that the pandemic will last from one to three years.

Deaths from A (H1N1) in the country stood at 15 yesterday. The latest victim to die from the virus was a 63-year-old woman in Samut Prakan province who contracted the flu and died from blood circulation problems and kidney failure.

Dr Prasert suggested health authorities focus on telling people how to protect themselves from the virus and prevent transmission.

"Social gatherings and activities which draw many people, such as concerts, should be postponed or cancelled to reduce the flu transmission rate," said Dr Prasert.

Former prime minister Chuan Leekpai has called a meeting of medical experts and state agencies to discuss measures to halt the virus. This comes amid mounting public criticism that the government is moving too slowly in its efforts to control the disease.

Mr Chuan has called a meeting today of epidemiologists from medical schools and hospitals, including Chulalongkorn University, Mahidol University, and Ramathibodi Hospital.

City Hall's medical unit, and Public Health Minister Witthaya Kaewparadai will also be there.

Kamnuan Ungchusak, the Disease Control Department's spokesman, said the pandemic in Thailand stands at level 2, where the fatality rate is at 0.4% of the total number of flu infections.

The measure is adapted from the US Centers for Disease Control and Infection standards. Accordingly, the Public Health Ministry categorises the severity in five levels based on fatality rates.

At level 2, health officials would ask the public to avoid crowded places and take other precautions, he said.

Curbs on access to public places where the virus could be transmitted easily would be imposed from level 3, where the fatality rate is 0.5%-1% and above.

Access in and out of the country might be ultimately banned at level 5, when deaths have reached more than 2%.

Deputy Prime Minister Maj Gen Sanan Kachornprasart, chairman of the national influenza committee, said he would ask the cabinet to approve 70 million baht in funding for a new campaign against A (H1N1).

The flu pandemic has caused hardship to business operators, particularly shopping centres.

Wicha Han, executive vice-president of Siam Piwat Co, said the spread of A (H1N1) has cut the number of shoppers at its three stores - Siam Paragon, Siam Discovery and Siam Center.

The number of foreign tourists prepared to shop has fallen by half because of concerns about the flu and the economic crisis.

Currently, foreign tourists represent 40% of total shoppers at the three stores.

"However, we will see a decline in local shoppers next, now that the authorities ordered tutorial schools to close down for 15 days, starting from next week," he said.

Many tutorial schools do business around Siam Square, which is opposite the three shopping centres.

Cinemas say they have yet to feel any impact, but are still taking precautions on behalf of customers.

Suvanee Chinchiewchan, deputy managing director of SF Cinema City Co, said the number of patrons turning up to see films has not changed.

"We run an ozone machine to kill odours and spray to get rid of germs at the end of every movie," she said.

Education Minister Jurin Laksanavisit said language schools are being asked to join tutorial schools in closing for two weeks.

Nationwide, the number of private tutorial schools and language schools which will close from Monday to July 28 is 2,310, he said.

Mr Jurin said the General Aptitude Test (GAT) and Professional Aptitude Test (PAT) scheduled for this month would go ahead as planned.

Panit Sorat, vice-chairman of the Federation of Thai Industries, said the flu's spread might worsen the economic contraction in the third quarter to a 4-5% drop from 2-3% forecast previously.

Information and Communication Technology Minister Ranongruk Suwunchwee urged internet cafes and online game shops to close temporarily as well.

'F+*k does that mean my ex wife has arrived........'

ROFL

I wish this bullshit media based hype about 'The Dreaded Swine Flu' would go away.

Research the statistics and you find that the old, very young, infirm and invalids die at EXACTLY the same amounts every year from common varieties of flu. No-one has got up in arms about that yet.

This idiocy of trying to introduce a vaccine to a virus that has not run it's course borders on dangerous. What a great leg up we will give the virus once it builds up an immunity to the vaccine.

This is not a pandemic. It's just another bloody flu. Although it may end up being the first mass murder by media.

"When the going gets weird... the weird turn pro" - Hunter S. Thompson

Lets put things into perspective...

1...Your probally 100,000 times more likely to die in the taxi from Bangkok to Pattaya from a speeding taxi driver strung out on Red Bull and no sleep than dying from the current Swine Flu. Alot more people died this year in car accidents in Thailand than all the people who have ever died from Swine flu.

Are u gonna stop taking a taxi and instead walk? I doubt it.

2...I hope I catch Swine flu soon sooner than later.

The early strain of Swine flu is very mild compared to regular flu. When it comes back under a much more viral strain then Ill have alot more immunity from it. Right now its alot less severe than regular flu which kills 36,000 people each year.

3...You could probally catch it and never be aware you even had it cause its very mild. Wonder how many people had it but never knew?

I will NOT alter my plans to go to Thailand or anywhere else based on speculation or fear of catching swine flu. Honestly I hope I catch it soon before it develops into something hard to get rid of. Just my 2 cents.

Lets put things into perspective...

1...Your probally 100,000 times more likely to die in the taxi from Bangkok to Pattaya from a speeding taxi driver strung out on Red Bull and no sleep than dying from the current Swine Flu. Alot more people died this year in car accidents in Thailand than all the people who have ever died from Swine flu.

Are u gonna stop taking a taxi and instead walk? I doubt it.

2...I hope I catch Swine flu soon sooner than later.

The early strain of Swine flu is very mild compared to regular flu. When it comes back under a much more viral strain then Ill have alot more immunity from it. Right now its alot less severe than regular flu which kills 36,000 people each year.

3...You could probally catch it and never be aware you even had it cause its very mild. Wonder how many people had it but never knew?

I will NOT alter my plans to go to Thailand or anywhere else based on speculation or fear of catching swine flu. Honestly I hope I catch it soon before it develops into something hard to get rid of. Just my 2 cents.

I agree, its all about perspective. The UK GMO has gone on record saying they expect 100,000 cases PER DAY in the UK when the winter months approach. If thats true yo0u are more likely to be escaping it than going to it.

Advertise on Pattaya Addicts. Send me a PM for more info'

Please consider a donation to the forum!