IGNORED

Roi Et Province

Braveheart

Roi Et (Thai ร้อยเอ็ด) is one of the provinces (changwat) of Thailand, located in the North-East of Thailand.

The Name Roi Et translates to 101, which refers to the original 11 satellite cities around the main city as well as the 11 city gates. To express the importance of the city the number was exaggerated.

Most part of the province is covered by plains about 130-160 meters above sea level, drained by the Shi river. In the north of the province are the hills of the Phu Phan mountain range, with the Yang river as the major river. In the south is the Mun river, which also forms the boundary to the province of Surin. At the mouth of the Shi River, where it enters the Mun river, a big flooded basin provides a good rice farming area.

The area of the province was already settled during the times of the Khmer empire as several ruins show. However, the main history of the province began when Laotian people from Champasak settled near Suwannaphum during the Ayutthaya kingdom. King Taksin moved the city to its present site, then called Saket Nakhon.

The provincial seal shows the shrine of the city pillar, which is located in the artificial lake Pha-lan-chai. The spirit of the shrine, Mahesak, is highly revered by the local people.

The provincial tree is Lagerstroemia macrocarpa.

The province is subdivided into 17 districts (Amphoe) and 3 minor districts (King Amphoe). The districts are further subdivided into 193 communes (tambon) and 2311 villages (muban).

Extracted from Wikipedia: Roi Et Province

• 2 months later...
The Name Roi Et translates to 101, which refers to the original 11 satellite cities around the main city as well as the 11 city gates. To express the importance of the city the number was exaggerated.

This part is wrong. I used to live there and I asked most of the officials. No one knew of any 11 satellite 'cities' and the city never had 11 city gates.

No one remembers, or can find in any official papers, the reason for the name 'Roi Et'. No one knows or can find any reference to why this provence's name is a number, no other provence has a number for a name.

My apologies but I can only go with the information that was available to me from Wikipedia. There is not a lot of reliable source information for Roi Et available on the internet.

My apologies but I can only go with the information that was available to me from Wikipedia. There is not a lot of reliable source information for Roi Et available on the internet.

I certainly understand that. I met many people in Roi Et who had ideas about why the name. One very popular one was that the city was 101 km from some important place, but no one, even the history and museum people could find anyplace of small importance at any distance near 101 km.

Another idea was that there were 101 princes living in the province, but again, no info from the government people. For a while, after asking the question there were at least 10 pretty high officials also looking for the reason it was named 101 but not one could find any answer that they even thought would be plausable.

I am not criticizing you at all, Braveheart, just trying to put a little info forward. If any one can find a good answer that the Thai's in Roi Et would agree on, I would like to know. I sure am curious on why the name is a number and why that specific number.

• 7 months later...

Beautiful City!

JEFF_019_573x430.jpg

STA60076_573x430.jpg

STA60080_573x430.jpg

Edited by icemanlos

• 4 months later...

FYI: Thais call it "L.A." because of the abbrivation when its spelled in Thai. Its a good joke to say youre from Roi-Et if your from Los Angeles. I use it all the time.

• 1 year later...

were looking for any info on Roi-et for - www.surinfarang.com if anybody has some intrestings thing i can, or you can post on there ,thanks guys sounds like a nice City gonna try to get there soon i hear they got good golf courses ?

• 5 months later...

Beautiful City!

JEFF_019_573x430.jpg

STA60076_573x430.jpg

STA60080_573x430.jpg

The3rd photo is a view from a room at the Roi et City hotel, was there in 2006.

A mans gotta do, what a mans gotta do!

When all is said and done, more is said than done!

That looks more like Selaphum from the parking lot or maybe even Yasothon. Roi-et province yes, but not actually the city of Roi-et. Of everything worth seeing there, between the Bun Bangfai Festival, which is fantastic btw, Wat Pha Nam Yoi National Forest(the biggest temple I've seen in Thailand to date), and heading out to the country, it really is a beautiful place to visit.

post-6586-125373310044_thumb.jpg

post-6586-125373311541_thumb.jpg

post-6586-125373313024_thumb.jpg

post-6586-125373318208_thumb.jpg

post-6586-125373319233_thumb.jpg

I visited this temple as well, and agree it is a beautiful structure.

My visit started with the girlfriend, asking if we could take Father & Sister, before I knew it, the vehicle had app 15 people in it. But then this is Thailand.

Wonderful views from the top!

A mans gotta do, what a mans gotta do!

When all is said and done, more is said than done!

• 2 months later...

Ok it is a nice place ans so on. but but is there action to be had. After Vientiane I would like to take the scenic route to Bangkok/Pattaya. I'll be passing through the area Roi Et (among few others) and probably stay there for a night or two and probably need to chill out and enjoy local flavors other then food (which I will enjoy regardless). I mean I do want to see the sights and the local culture and can do without if I have to but I am a man with needs and I travel light (no GF)

So from anyone's experience any suggestions with accommodation party bars/ night clubs, FL areas?

I only experienced Bangkok, Pattaya, and Phucket only so far which is all very nice but would like to see the northern parts for bit of variation.

Also interested in Vientiane Laos. But I might try another forum for that. :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Are there any bars or minimal nightlife around Roi-et? My buddy wants me spend a few days while he visits his GF there, she has a nice home and western toilets...I had him send me a pic lol