IGNORED

Khon Kaen Province

Braveheart

Khon Kaen (Thai ขอนแก่น) is the second-largest of the north-eastern provinces (changwat) of Thailand. Khon Kaen is located in the heart of the Khorat Plateau. The Chi River flows through this province.

The first city of the area was established in 1783 when Rajakruluang settled there with 330 people. King Rama I made Rajakruluang the first governor of the area when establishing tighter connections with the Isan area. The main city was moved six times until in 1879 it reached its modern location at Nuang Kaw. Khon Kaen became the administrative centre in the beginning of the 20th century.

The seal of the province shows the stupa (tower) of Phra That Kham Kaen, which is believed to contain relics of Buddha. Two trees are depicted on both sides, one is a banyan tree (Ficus benghalensis), the other a Golden Shower Tree (Cassia fistula). The Thai name of the golden shower means providing support and preventing a decline, and it is also the provincial flower. The provincial tree is the pink shower tree (Cassia bakeriana), the Thai name of which translates as "wishing tree".

The province is subdivided into 20 districts (Amphoe) and 6 minor districts (King Amphoe). The districts are further subdivided into 198 communes (tambon) and 2139 villages (muban).

Extracted from Wikipedia: Khon Kaen Province

• 2 months later...

Have been to KK with my tilac.

It is not like pattaya, it is closer to the real thailand while still having a lot of the western comforts nearby.

The best hotel there is by far the Sofitel, however you do pay for the privelage ~2,500BHT a nightt but the service is outstanding

• 1 month later...

I'm thinking of staying at Sofitel as my base and touring the region from there. Any advice on this plan and what to see/do in KK? Thanks.

I was banned because I couldn't stop being a cunt and being antagonistic continually baiting other BMS. I also gave board information to a banned member, which is a major no-no. Please do not be like me or you too will get your pee-pee slapped.

dictionary: http://www.thai-language.com/dict/

• 2 weeks later...

I went to KK this past long weekend with my wife. Took the trian (first time ever i have taken a train in Thailand) overnight from Bangkok arrives early morning in KK's small station. Hired morotbike (small one) from a laundry place opp the Sofitel and went around the city. Easy to get around and no traffic, well compared to bangkok anyway.

KK is an interesting Isaan city,with the University playing a large part in everyday life.There's also quite a thriving naughty side to this city as well.

It's not so obvious,but with a bit of hunting,it's certainly there if you want it!

I worked up there in 2003. Lots of uni girls in the discos/pubs around the Sofitel and Kosa hotel area. Easy to chat with and many are willing to have a bit of fun for some baht and a bottle of Prell shampoo (large size, though).

Nice place, hot as hell and dusty but nice people and good food.

No need to pay 2500 to stay at Sofitel, plenty of good places under 1000. Save your baht for the better things; a hot shower is a hot shower, TV is TV, a/c is a/c and a comfy bed is a comfy bed. I have stayed many times at Kaen Inn, basic and clean, quiet and no pompems for 500, might be 550 or 600 now. There's a soapie, Vila massage catty corner.

• 2 weeks later...

I'll be going to KK to meet a TG. If that works out great, but if not where's the bad boy part of town ;)

i am heading up to KK in about a week or so, this will be my first trip, staying with TG and family while we look for a house.... Its going to be interesting for sure. Anyone know of a rental car agency at the KK airport?

I said Jim Beam and Coke, not J & B and coke, silly TG............

• 5 months later...

I just visited the King Cobra village north of Kon Khaen.

The bus ride to KK was 321 Baht for a VIP aircon from Morchit. 7 Hours, they were taking it easy and arrived at AM. Nice morning market and lots of good noddle soup available. The Cobra village is a a bus ride north of KK. You get of at Nampong (about 30 or so km) and then a tuktuk. Friends took me so no details about cost. I trust there is also a village bus (converted truck) leaving from the (non-VIP) bus station.

In the village there is a small platform the performances and around some cages with the snakes. The snakes were very interesting but seemed a bit under-nurtured in comparison to the king cobras at the snake farm in BKK. They also got a bear, poor beast, some monkeys and interesting turtles. The snake show was very nice but also a bit chilling. Some performers got bitten a week before and had ended up in hospital. So they are playing with snakes that are not "milked." Some of the beasts were pretty aggressive other reminded me of grandma's cat. Beautiful animals almost all of them.

It is a nice stop and very much worth-while. It is very down to earth and not commercialized. The people simple ask for a donation and go around at the end of the show. Very much like street musicians. Thais gave 20 baht. I thought 100 hundred would be ok as the guys risked their lives. I know it is overpaying, but in an Isan village and with that kind of work I felt like it.

So try it, you won't regret it.

hotels in KK - I stayed at a 600 baht place aircon. No western language TV channel and rather worn out place.

• 2 weeks later...

Just a few photos from Khon Kaen and other places to visit around the area.

The Lake in KK.

179493-3495.jpg

In the main Temple.

179493-3496.jpg

Around town.

179493-3497.jpg

Cobra Village about 30 min drive east of KK.

179493-3498.jpg

Ubrol damm about 45km N/E of KK well worth a day out also has a golf course for those that like a game.

179493-3499.jpg

179493-3500.jpg

Take water with you if your going to walk this lot.

179493-3501.jpg

Derek

Edited by Derek

• 2 months later...

Hi Derek,

thanks for the pictures. I'm heading to Khon Kaen this Feb. Will only be there for two days then I'm off to Korat. Just wish I had more time to enjoy the area. I have you to blame for my departure from Pattaya, thank you very much.

Jon.

Hi Derek,

thanks for the pictures. I'm heading to Khon Kaen this Feb. Will only be there for two days then I'm off to Korat. Just wish I had more time to enjoy the area. I have you to blame for my departure from Pattaya, thank you very much.

Jon.

Haaaaaaaaa Jon when you there in Feb im up there for a month.

Derek

HI,

Heading to KK next month to meet up with TG who is in Kalasin, well outside Kalasin, my question is can i find rooms easy in kalasin area as only the same hotel comes up on web sites each time.

spider

HI,

Heading to KK next month to meet up with TG who is in Kalasin, well outside Kalasin, my question is can i find rooms easy in kalasin area as only the same hotel comes up on web sites each time.

spider

There are a few hotels in Kalasin.

The best being the Rimpao.

Heres a few others.

http://hotels-thailand-en.globalhotelindex...n/173625en.html

Derek

• 1 month later...

KK, love it! Been there only twice, stayed Kaen Inn 1st time and Kosa second. makes a lovely change from Pattaya where u can see real thai's in a real thai city :Hair_Out1:

If u get the chance head to the chee river, just outside the city (about 40kms) the river there is lovely, surrounded by wild monkeys who are happy to share your food LOL. In fact they would share ur wallet too!

I strongly advise everybody to make the trip to KK, just a wonderful city with such lovely people.

My GF is from there and the first trip .... yeah i was worried about the farang stories of visiting the villages etc .... but hey Tesco was only 2 miles down the road and i was made to feel the most welcome Ihave ever been anywhere in my life!

The area is lovely and made some good friends there too :)

Wha's like us?

• 5 months later...

My teerak lives and works in Khon Kaen - at KK Technical College - have been there my last two trips and will be back in Sep 2008 for another - this time to get married. If you would like to see some pics of KK and the surrounding area - My Khon Kaen

• 2 weeks later...

Always go to KK for 1 week as i have family there.

Great place, great people and awesome food.

I usually stay in the village for 2 days than back to the Sofitel for a few, which is an outstanding hotel.

heaps of Uni girls, and the best place for picking up was the Rada club ( i am sure thats its name) believe me its a real eye opener, but remember you want see many Farang in there.

" I like to live life like one big carnival, get drunk and act like an Animal "

I usually stay in the village for 2 days than back to the Sofitel for a few, which is an outstanding hotel.

heaps of Uni girls, and the best place for picking up was the Rada club ( i am sure thats its name) believe me its a real eye opener, but remember you want see many Farang in there.

What about the prices?St and Lt available?? :P

Is it possible to pick a uni girl as a gf with a short time staying(1 week?)(considering a narak man,not too old...)

I mean..are they open to meet some falangs?

Money will get you bitches, but bitches will never give you money.

My teerak lives and works in Khon Kaen - at KK Technical College - have been there my last two trips and will be back in Sep 2008 for another - this time to get married. If you would like to see some pics of KK and the surrounding area - My Khon Kaen

Good luck to you man.

I will stay around Konkhaen for two weeks in the end of September until mid October.

One of my friend know the place for almost 20 year.

It will bring to me a new perspective of LOS.

Money will get you bitches, but bitches will never give you money.

What about the prices?St and Lt available?? :P

Is it possible to pick a uni girl as a gf with a short time staying(1 week?)(considering a narak man,not too old...)

I mean..are they open to meet some falangs?

hey mate, prices are up to you but try not to take the piss.

It is alot different to other places where there are alot of farangs and girls openly selling their pussies.

Sure its possible with the girls but don't automatically expect it, oh and by the way it helps to speak Thai nid noi.

" I like to live life like one big carnival, get drunk and act like an Animal "

• 5 weeks later...

Where is the Rada club located? Within walking distance of Sofitel? Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

My mate's TG is from KK and he wants me to travel up with him to meet the family in January.It's his first trip to her home and he won't go without me to guide him.I sometimes wonder how he manages to cross the road on his own he is so helpless.He came with me in May to visit my TGs home near Ubon so I have to return the favour.I don't mind and I am looking forward to it.What I want to know is what the train is like from Bangkok to KK. I have heard so many good and bad reports about the trains in Thailand.Does anyone have some first hand experience of it?Aslo is it possible to hire a car in KK?I have driven to my TGs home near Ubon on four previous occasions so fancy a break from driving that distance this time around.Your help would be appreciated. :D:ThankGod1:

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

hi all my wifes from kk loved it there .i too stayed the sofiotel fantastic had a blast there quite but i thought better than patts just to chill. many nice ladys about..we went to a few places alon the river eating cheap as chips and me being the farang had to pay but cannot moan lol.

IMG_0326.JPG