IGNORED

Chiang Rai- Wilkipedia

LaaMok

Here is some information extracted from Wilkipedia

"Chiang Rai is both a city and a province in Thailand. For the province, see Chiang Rai Province.

Nakhon Chiang Rai (Thai เชียงราย; locally also Xieng Hai) is a city in Amphoe Mueang, Chiang Rai Province in northern Thailand.

History

The city was founded by King Mengrai in 1262 and became the first capital of the Lannathai kingdom. However, it lost this status soon after to a new city built by Mengrai at Chiang Mai. Later the city was conquered by Burma and remained under Burmese rule for several hundred years. It was not until 1786 that Chiang Rai became Thai territory. It was proclaimed a province during the reign of King Rama VI in 1910.

Demographics

Population 62,000.

12.5% of the population belong to the hill tribes, a minority in the North of Thailand. Some of the hill tribe names are: Karen, Akha, Lisu, Meo, Muser. Many Chinese, particularly from Yunnan Province, have migrated to and assimilated with the Thai population - to the extent that well over half the large businesses in northern Thailand are owned by people of Chinese heritage.

Geography

Geographical location 19

• 3 months later...

Chiang Rai is one of the places that i would seriously consider moving to.Low cost of living and with lots of properties and land available from the

Banks,it's well worth considering.It does get a few farang tourists,ranging from tour groups to the backpacker brigade.The recent smoke haze from

the slash and burn antics,was annoying,but other than that it's a pleasant place in which to live.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Chiang Rai has much to offer. THe CHinese hideouts in Chiang Khon (border crossing into North Laos) and Mae Salong. Going to Mae Salong the cheap way:

Take the bus north from CR to the first district town. then a song taew to the pass between CR and Tathon. From there a second up to Mae Salong. Best mushrooms in Thailand. 1 coffee shop with good local brew. The chinese tea i cant stomach.

THe other route, starting slightly north of the district town and being the "Official" route is not regularly served and might prove to be expensive to go by public transport. I did it once an really nice drive.

You can go on to Tathon. Nice small river town 20 or so km east of Fang. From here you can hire (during the rainy season) a boat to CR. Not really great but good enough. Some nice country side, and a stop at an elephant camp. Fully developed tourist trap though. Paid 600 for 2 persons, lucked out

Women love it.....

Edited by pattayadog

Chiang Rai has much to offer. THe CHinese hideouts in Chiang Khon (border crossing into North Laos) and Mae Salong. Goingto Mae Salong the cheap way:

Take the bus north from CR to the first district town. then a song taew to the pass between CR and Tathon. From there a second up to Mae SAlong. Best mushrooms in Thailand. 1 coffee shop with good local brew. THe chinese tea i can stomach.

THe other route, starting slightly north of the district town and being the "Official" route is not regularly served and might prove expensive to go by public transport. I did it once an really nice drive.

You can go on to Tathon. Nice small river town 20 or so km eat of Fang. From here you can hire (during the rainy season) a boat to CR. Not really great but good enough. Some nice country side, and a stop at an elephant camp. Fully developed tourist trap though.

Women love it.....

Doi Mae Salong is one of my favourite places in Thailand. It has it's own unique atmosphere (very Chinese) a fantastic location and getting there is a cool motor bike ride.

ความจริงเป็นสิ่งที่ไม่ตายแต่คนพูดความจริงอาจจะตาย                 

The truth is immortal but people who speak it aren't - Thai proverb

Karl's Thailand - My YouTube Channel

Chiang Saen,

a nice inexpensive ride from CR. SOme guesthouses. The whole place was destroyed and turned into ruins by Thais when they conquered the place in 1805 (or so)... the survivors were deported to Lampang, Saraburi and Sakeow, if they made it that is.

The national museum is nice and worthwhile and gives some information, and leaving other out, nationalism in thailand has its price when it comes to honest about the past.

The pagodas dot the place all over and a nice temple on a step hill is great as well. the town is still walled and outside some nice sites as well. The Kong river adds to the scenery. Food is great like in all small towns.

Songtaews run north to the Golden Triangle (nothing to see there) and on to Mai Sai.

No nitelife, you need to more for that to Mai Sai or provide before hand.

• 4 months later...

I visited Chiang Rai a couple of months ago for a friends wedding. Very very quiet place with some beautiful scenery. I liked the place and would go back again, but a little too quiet for me to stay permanently. I prefer Chiang Mai as there is a bit more to do there especially in the evenings. Stayed at a lovely hotel in Chiang Rai called the Legend. If you want to treat the missus I would recommend staying there.

• 1 year later...

Been in Chiang Rai a bit more than a week ago for 4 days.

Its a very nice and beauthifull place, good to be away from the bussy life in Pattaya/Jomtien.

Get yourself a motorbike and drive around, it is very nice.