Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

Baht Bus Safety

Terence Returns

Wow, Upena, thanks.

Yessiree!! That news story sounds awfully familiar.

Will study the girls photo more closely and see if I recognise anyone.

I still feel stupid because I can't be sure that the cash was nicked on the bus, although that seems like the likely place as I was well behaved the rest of the night and there was something unusual about the passengers. So I think for now I will assume that it was taken on the bus and the whole purpose of this topic is to save problems for one or two people in the future by making them more alert to the danger son a bus, which as I have confessed I had lapsed into thinking was a safe place.

Oh, no it ain't, not always!!! T/

WOW what's all this fuzz about? Terence has no clue where he lost the money! Why is everybody discussing the bus when his #1 or #2 TGF may have the money?

Pickpockets are everywhere in the world, it's not like they are a Thai exclusive?

Just be careful with your stuff and distribute distribute distribute your money. That's why you have many pockets and also should carry an EMPTY wallte, let them have the leather.

Sheesh

Little trick my dad taught me, in addition to all the usual stuff.

Just put a rubber band around the outside of your wallet. Makes it so it doesn't slide out of your pocket so easily. Might just put a dipper off enough for them to look for another mark.

"Fear women - and save your life"

Accra taxi motto

:Eat_Me: If you don't have a rubber band use a boat anchor and chain. You won't lose wallet and you work on the abs at the same time. You may also get a job with a long boat. Little extra for the trip.

When u paid the driver did u not realise your money was gone?

Thanks for asking. As I mentioned, the circumstances were unusual. I had my usual day's cash in my left pocket and used it to pay for the bus. My extra, which I only ever carried that day due to other circumstances was in my right pocket, where I carry my keys when I am at home, and I did not notice anything amiss because I stupidly was not worried about, assuming that the pocket was deep and undisturbed.

Again, these bastards must have incredibly light fingers. That is the whole point of this thread. There is no warning.

TERENCE RETURNS ASAP

• 2 weeks later...

I was in Pattaya last month with my girlfriend, we got on a songthaw on Pattaya 2nd road near soi 13, we were heading for soi 7, the Baht bus stopped again near soi 10 and 4 young girls got on, I'm not good a guessing ages but I would say 12-14 years old, (one was very fat), one sat next to my girlfriend one sat next to me and the other two sat opposite us, we got off at soi 7 and went to a bar, we had 1 drink and I went to pay for it and found that all my money that I had in the right hand pocket of my trousers had had disappeared, the trousers I had on that night had 2 concealed and zipped security pockets, I usually put all my thousand Baht notes in these pockets, 3 or 4 thousand Baht in each, but I put all my smaller money in the cargo pocket, halfway down the trouser leg, unfortunately on this occasion I had a lot of smaller notes, one 500, four 100 and a few twenties, so I lost nearly 1,000 Baht, not the end of the world but bad enough to put me in crap mood all night! I have been to Pattaya about 30 times and it's the first time I've had my pockets picked, I'll try and be more alert when I get on a songthaw from now on, I always split my money between all my pockets so if I do get one pocket picked then the other pockets should be Ok, and I never carry a wallet!

MY Baht Bus Rules.

1. First thing....I never get onto a baht bus that is parked. I always get on a bus that is moving in my direction and stops for me.

3. I never get on a crowded Bus.

8. If at anytime anyone gets on the bus and sits unusually close to me. I immediately get off.

9. ...I just get on any bus that is not crowded and if it happens to turn onto central road, i just get off immediately after it turns onto central and walk back and catch another bus that is going to the north Pattaya area.

11. Whenever a ladyboy or ladyboys or any combination of ladyboy and others get ona baht bus, I immediately get off..... period... end of story.

12. This is a most important rule also....... There is always another baht bus going in your direction less than 30 seconds away.

This may seem to be a lot of rules and a bit obsessive...

Er, yes!...just a bit.

Remind me again how long it takes you to travel across Pattaya...

Fastphil, You ok man? You posted nearly the same thing 10 days apart...

You may have been on your way to your hotel from the exchange but thats the first warning, if you have loads of money in your pocket be aware all the time it's still there, you obviously was not and get it in your safe asap.

If you have that sort of money in your pocket in those curcumstances and your concerned keep your hand in your pocket, its a well known pick pocket/snatch situation on a baht bus and will due care and attention it would not have happened.

Of course this is the same in any country in the world, same as when you take a girl to your hotel, ask her to go shower, then put all your valuables in the safe, problem solved.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$AFBADGE.jpg

Fastphil, You ok man? You posted nearly the same thing 10 days apart...

Sorry Badger, When I submitted the first post I got an error message telling me that my post hadn't been included in the forum, sorry to repeat myself!

Edited by fastphil

Although it might seem excessive to follow all the suggestions and methods used by poster 'glenjean', they work for him and would probably work well for others also. I think the primary considerations that always need to be utilized are caution AND awareness. This forum has increased awareness for the readers, but the readers themselves need to use caution at all times when on Baht buses with other passengers. As mentioned, this especially holds true at night, when lady boys get on, and when groups(of(young)Thais)get on. I only say that because it is highly unlikely that any tourist group who happen to get on are looking to pick your pockets....but hey.....then again anything's possible I suppose.

As for the possible complicity of the baht bus drivers, I suppose that is possible as well,....but in fact, I was on a baht bus one night going back into Jomtien when the driver got out and alerted all of us that a certain group of Thai girls that had just gotten off were a pickpocket team that often 'works' Thappraya road.

Personally, I am constantly aware of my belongings and try to monitor the actions of anyone sitting next to me as much as possible. If someone is sitting quite close...and the move..or squirm..I discreetly recheck to make sure all is well with my belongings.

I also often sit nearest the cab so that I only have someone sitting on one side of me.

Sitting at the end nearest the back may not be a good idea because one of the pickpockets may be standing right next to you on the rear step of the baht bus.

Hopefully this information will increase your awareness. Now, the caution part is up to you.

Cheers !

2 weeks ago i was on a bhat bus just before soi buckao market goig towards south pattaya rd quite a few people had just got off the bus and it was nearly empty when 4 scuffy looking girls got on the bus and split up,i sence a scam straight away,one sat next to me the bus set off and imeadiatly one of the girls pressed the buzzer,and a fat girl came running for the bus eatting some thai food and laughing clealy to distract i put my hand on my money in my front pocket which was zipped,there was a sweadish lad or dutch lad sat facing me ,after about 60 yards i pressed the buzzer to get off still with my hand on my money,when i was getting up i took my off my money for a splitt second and caught her with my money half way out my pocket ii shouted to the sweedish lad thiefs and we both got off the bus ,i can tell the girl was lighting fast if i had,nt cotton on my money would have gone difinatly be careful lads.