IGNORED

Carrying ID while in LOS

glenjean

When I am in LOS I carry a laminated copy of my passport and a copy of my entry visa stamp.

My question to the forum is this, if you were stopped by the BIB and did not have any ID on your person what would happen?

Would the BIB allow you to go to your hotel to get your passport?

Would you get fined? If so how much would it cost?

Has any one ever been stopped and asked for their ID? If so what happened ?

Keeping the ID with you could add several hours of holiday to your trip. Yeah, after a lot of discussions with the word Baht in them, likely you would be allowed to get your ID from the room. But you would lose lots of hours, grow several new gray hairs, and likely not have near as much fun as you would at a beer bar, playing grab ass with a hottie. Why would you NOT take your ID. I like the Laminated copy idea, and will borrow your idea on the next trip in country. I usually keep my passport and wallet with me, however, I do worry about pick pockets, so I try and wear velcro down pockets, and put the important stuff in NON obvious pockets, but where I can keep an eye on them.

In Thailand your supposed to carry your id(passport) around with you at all times. And people recomend that you actually carry a copy of your passport with you instead of the original. The reason for this is because if you lost or had the original stolen you would have a lot of hassle replacing it.

Having said that I have visited Thailand 20 times and have never bothered carrying my passport or a copy of my passport with me. And I have never been stopped by the police and been asked for my id

Keeping the ID with you could add several hours of holiday to your trip. Yeah, after a lot of discussions with the word Baht in them, likely you would be allowed to get your ID from the room. But you would lose lots of hours, grow several new gray hairs, and likely not have near as much fun as you would at a beer bar, playing grab ass with a hottie. Why would you NOT take your ID. I like the Laminated copy idea, and will borrow your idea on the next trip in country. I usually keep my passport and wallet with me, however, I do worry about pick pockets, so I try and wear velcro down pockets, and put the important stuff in NON obvious pockets, but where I can keep an eye on them.

I will be making my first trip to Pattaya in November and was wondering do most bars even ask for your passport and does it really make a difference if you show them a photocopy?

I've been reading some people reccomend to never carry your real passport while out in case you do run into a pickpocket and how diffucult it will be to replace it. Are the BIB that strict about a copied passport or they usually just looking for some extra cash?

I do like your idea of velcro pockets.

I never thought of this problem before, been goin to LOS for years and never carried copies of passport with me, just carry my wallet and have photo ID drivers licence.

• 3 weeks later...

And I have never been stopped by the police and been asked for my id

on my 19 trips to Thailand (all together about 1 year staying in thailand) not once the police have asked my idcard if i was on foot or with bathbus. But riding motorbike or driving with my car u have to show every police officer your driverslicense and sometimes your pasport aswell. they know that many tourist don't wear their id or driverslicense with them and see moneyopportunities!!!

I always keep my pasport safe in the room-safe!!! if u loose it on your holiday u will loose much more time getting new papers at your embassy in bangkok then when u are going to your hotel to show police your pasport and maybe have to pay a small sum of money for not having it with you!

A good girl gives you happiness and a bad girl gives you experience both are essential in life so enjoy every girlfriend!

I would always carry a copy of your passport, no harm in doing so and can save you a lot of time and effort.

In 10 years of visiting including living in Bkk for 5 years never carried any id.

Have been stopped once by the BIB walking up sukhumit soi 24,think they were looking for drugs.

They searched me found nothing asked to see my passport,told them it was in my condo as i did not want to lose it.

No problem you can go now.If you do get stopped by the BIB just be polite.

Edited by The Sperminator