IGNORED

CAREFUL: Police targeting Farang

CyberHippie

As you leave pattaya... There is a policeman on sukhumvit road and the turnoff to Bunglamung hospital that is targeting Farang... So make sure you have all in order.

Yesterday I saw him approx 1 km further on, past the police station.

Lights went red, I was slowing down, but I didnt want to go through his BS again, so I remained in the middle lane... He called a thai couple over and as they rode their bike over to him.. I noticed his head rise... saw me and then waved the Thai couple on an gestured to me..... As he walked out with his cocky arm flailing... I looked at him with a look of disgust as I casually ignored his request... AND drove one....

I am sorry to break the Law like this, but when this type of targetting nonsense goes on, my morals kick in and over ride any state or national law.

I hope this targetting makes the news... How much more damage can Thais do to themselves.... Not only do they shoot themselves in the foot and cry about it..... They reload and repeat the process, completely oblivious to the reson that reloading and shooting the foot is whats causing this distress...

Cheers

EDIT:... I should state that I see him on his day shift and more times than not, he has a farang pulled over.... Unless my maths is wrong, there would need to be millions of farang in Pattaya for this policeman to get more than a 50% farang strike rate on those he pulls over.

Edited by CyberHippie

Thailand Airsoft The website is for sale. I am starting up a new Bitcoin project and need development funds... The Airsoft Site is being sold for 800,000 THB

Maybe one particular cop has an agenda but I really don't think it is a pervasive policy amongst the police.

Pattaya Photos Free newbie guide to Pattaya How to get a TG a tourist visa for Australia Pattaya Weather

My moto for 2017: Don't argue with an idiot. Don't argue with.....

Just a warning to let people know, who, like me, travel that road on a daily basis and must contend with him...

Thailand Airsoft The website is for sale. I am starting up a new Bitcoin project and need development funds... The Airsoft Site is being sold for 800,000 THB

by ignoring him he didn't jump on his bike and chase you down? doesn't sound like much of a cop if he didn't. i wonder what he could have pulled you on even if you had your passport, was wearing a helmet, and had your license?

All checked...

As for helmet.... I always wear them, regardless.... I always carry a spare in case I "need" to have a passenger... :wub:

by ignoring him he didn't jump on his bike and chase you down? doesn't sound like much of a cop if he didn't. i wonder what he could have pulled you on even if you had your passport, was wearing a helmet, and had your license?

Police in Thailand chasing someone. In all my years, I have never seen the police chase after anyone for a traffic stop.

Just a warning to let people know, who, like me, travel that road on a daily basis and must contend with him...

You use the road every day and see him often!!??? Sounds like you are setting yourself up for some trouble to me... :IdHitIt2:

Police in Thailand chasing someone. In all my years, I have never seen the police chase after anyone for a traffic stop.

At least some of the squads have procedures to get people who drive past checkpoints.

Pattaya Photos Free newbie guide to Pattaya How to get a TG a tourist visa for Australia Pattaya Weather

sounds like just another scam for tea money...

corruption...graft...im shocked, shocked it tell you! LOL.

another good reason to hop the baht bus and leave the driving to someone else!

cheers, alex

You use the road every day and see him often!!??? Sounds like you are setting yourself up for some trouble to me... :IdHitIt2:

Yes I do go past everyday....

Same as you probably use a particular road on a daily basis....

How the f*&^K is that setting myself up for trouble...

To get from my place to Big C or any place of significance, I do need to use that road...

Yes I do go past everyday....

Same as you probably use a particular road on a daily basis....

To get from my place to Big C or any place of significance, I do need to use that road...

There are no other little side Soi's around that you could take to bypass the fookin git?

I don't know but if I was a cop and a person I wanted to have a chat to just drove off I would not be happy. On the legal side of things it would be easy to conclude that you refused to stop when a policman asked you to. It just doesn't sound like a clever thing to do when there is a high chance of him seeing you again. I am not having a go at you but just stating my opinion of the situation.

I don't know but if I was a cop and a person I wanted to have a chat to just drove off I would not be happy. On the legal side of things it would be easy to conclude that you refused to stop when a policman asked you to. It just doesn't sound like a clever thing to do when there is a high chance of him seeing you again. I am not having a go at you but just stating my opinion of the situation.

I totaly agree with you... I shouldnt need to be hassled by him though...

I will be looking for an alternative route....

This post was just a warning for other bike riders... and to give an example of this policemans targetting... for whatever reason he has... Its not justified.... Letting thais go, just as he calls them over, just to get me... well thats not right... I was wearning a hemet etc... they where 3 up and the last one didnt have a helmet... I understand why he pulled them up, as they where clearly breaking the law.... but why let them go, just because he saw me.... Plus.. as I said... I see quite a few farang pulled up by him....

Edited by CyberHippie

i remember a few years ago a line of police out on the road near the patpong area at night with their torches shinning into cabs getting passengers that were not belted up. dont know if they still do this, but looked like it was quite a profitable night for the boys in brown.

Maybe one particular cop has an agenda but I really don't think it is a pervasive policy amongst the police.

Scumbag, I am having a very, very hard time believing one of the moderators of the ex-pats section wrote this?

Are you saying there is no racial profiling in Pattaya? Police know it's an automatic easy 400 baht whenever they catch a farang in their web (most don't have a license and the rest, well their pulled over already so i bet they get a ticket somehow).

If you really are saying there's no racial profiling would be honestly very very interested in hearing your views.

Racial profiling need not be a written explicit policy. everyone know farang almost never have license so easy to pull over; and farang have access to money trees back home so 400 baht for him can be picked from the ground after shaking a farang money tree for 10 seconds.

Edited by el_jefe

Scumbag, I am having a very, very hard time believing one of the moderators of the ex-pats section wrote this?

Are you saying there is no racial profiling in Pattaya? Police know it's an automatic easy 400 baht whenever they catch a farang in their web (most don't have a license and the rest, well their pulled over already so i bet they get a ticket somehow).

If you really are saying there's no racial profiling would be honestly very very interested in hearing your views.

Racial profiling need not be a written explicit policy. everyone know farang almost never have license so easy to pull over; and farang have access to money trees back home so 400 baht for him can be picked from the ground after shaking a farang money tree for 10 seconds.

First of all I did not right this post as a moderator so that is irrelavent. I have done a lot of driving here and have seen a lot of police talking to drivers and riders. I have not noticed farangs being stopped more than Thais. That is my experience. I know for a fact that in the area where in live (ie the dark side) that the police are reluctant to stop farangs and as a result they are not stopped often. The vast majority of farangs that get stopped by the police have been stopped because they have done something wrong. IMO if you don't do anything wrong you will not have a problem. If you ride around without a helmet or the wrong way up a one-way street then you are easy pickings.

First of all I did not right this post as a moderator so that is irrelavent. I have done a lot of driving here and have seen a lot of police talking to drivers and riders. I have not noticed farangs being stopped more than Thais. That is my experience. I know for a fact that in the area where in live (ie the dark side) that the police are reluctant to stop farangs and as a result they are not stopped often. The vast majority of farangs that get stopped by the police have been stopped because they have done something wrong. IMO if you don't do anything wrong you will not have a problem. If you ride around without a helmet or the wrong way up a one-way street then you are easy pickings.

i am sorry to disagree with you on this as when i come to pattaya it is normally from udon thani

and i have been stopped many a time from them and my docs checked out and i always have

the correct docs insurance , international driving license,etc

and they have tried everytime to say that i have not got the correct docs for rental of the vehicle

untill i phone the rental company and hand the phone to him and the owner of the company a thai speaks to him

they then look at me and say okay you can go

so i do not know what the guy says but they are very appoligetic afterwards

and i was stopped three times in one trip whilst in a que they see me a falang and decide to wave on a dozen areso thai on till i get to them

so imho yes i think they can get falangs to pay up more and quicker as we do not want the hassle and they see as a atm

so sorry i disagree with you if you are saying we are not targetted by them

of course we are

and i drive for a living so i make sure i have everything in order before i set out

and the docs are all kept in a folder together where i can get to them quickly and easily

I think the difference between the two guys and Scumbags point is not as noted as you make out.

Yes they stop a lot of farang and yes some seem to target preferentially but take my word for it they stop FAR more Thais.

There are the lone guns who (as the OP says) DO target farang but the vast majority of BiB do not. There are hundreds of BiB in Pattaya and the surrounding areas and it is simply incorrect to suggest that all of them are targeting only foreigners.

Just do what the OP does and drive a few kilo of Sukhumvit every day. 90% of the pulls you will see are invariably young Thais, more often than not male.

This particular officer seems like one to avoid and for that I thank the OP.

Advertise on Pattaya Addicts. Send me a PM for more info'

Please consider a donation to the forum!

I think the difference between the two guys and Scumbags point is not as noted as you make out.

Yes they stop a lot of farang and yes some seem to target preferentially but take my word for it they stop FAR more Thais.

There are the lone guns who (as the OP says) DO target farang but the vast majority of BiB do not. There are hundreds of BiB in Pattaya and the surrounding areas and it is simply incorrect to suggest that all of them are targeting only foreigners.

Just do what the OP does and drive a few kilo of Sukhumvit every day. 90% of the pulls you will see are invariably young Thais, more often than not male.

This particular officer seems like one to avoid and for that I thank the OP.

i agree that the bib stop more thais than farang but would that not be because there are more thais than farangs ?

but on a percentage wise on the amount of thais v farangs i would have to differ on that one imho

i agree that the bib stop more thais than farang but would that not be because there are more thais than farangs ?

but on a percentage wise on the amount of thais v farangs i would have to differ on that one imho

You may well be right I was simply countering the (seemingly) argument that its "only" farang targeted.

Also you might be surprised.

Pattaya has an alleged "fluctual" population of around 350,000 of which around 110,000 is supposedly expats and tourists at any given time. I could be wrong on these but they sound about right to me.

Of those maybe 40% of Thais ride a bike/car and maybe 20% of the farang.

IF my assumption are correct that means

96,000 potential Thai pulls

22,000 farang pulls

I would bet my last quid that MOST (not all) BiB pull 50 a day and I very much doubt the average BiB pulls 11 farang in that count.

Advertise on Pattaya Addicts. Send me a PM for more info'

Please consider a donation to the forum!

You may well be right I was simply countering the (seemingly) argument that its "only" farang targeted.

Also you might be surprised.

Pattaya has an alleged "fluctual" population of around 350,000 of which around 110,000 is supposedly expats and tourists at any given time. I could be wrong on these but they sound about right to me.

Of those maybe 40% of Thais ride a bike/car and maybe 20% of the farang.

IF my assumption are correct that means

96,000 potential Thai pulls

22,000 farang pulls

I would bet my last quid that MOST (not all) BiB pull 50 a day and I very much doubt the average BiB pulls 11 farang in that count.

you are probably correct on that but at the moment i think a lot less farangs in town

so a lot more farangs are noticing it

it works like this they stop who they think they can make money out of ,certain coppers will pick on farrrang and others will pick on this ,the ones that pick on farrang usually have reasonable English skills so no surprising they go for big money farrang .

The ex wife got stopped in Chiang Mai once ,when she started looking blank and pretended to be from japan they waved her on as they could not be bothered, but boy if they knew she was really Thai then she would of been paying up .

I learned to stop short or hide in amongst the traffic if possible.

Look away from them so they cant catch your eye, they usually wont walk out onto the road or stop you if moving.

One night the local bib about 4 or 5 were pulling thais up

so many guys just sped thru them they got rather pissed off, eventually the cops tried to pull the guys off their bikes.

This didn't always work and some were hanging onto riders and getting pulled along.

We were watching for an hour or so from about 50 mtrs away, it was comical to say the least!

Another hint if you see a few young thai guys doing strange quick u turns, it means a road block.

We, of course get to ride thru road blocks on dirt bikes.....being part of a protect species..lol

Member since Dec 06.

Also, at the airport it seems the police are targeting private car taxis.

My driver went around the long way and I paid him inside the vehicle,

not at the curb. The dude seemed seriously worried about it.

Cowards die many times before their deaths;

The valiant never taste of death but once.

William Shakespeare, "Julius Caesar", Act II Scene 2

I was stopped 2 weeks ago on my way to get my license, and had everything in order other than the license :GoldenSmile1: And yeh, it was me and like 10 Thais stopped for the light. But, fair enough.

Look, there are 60+ million thais here and what a few 100,000 falangs? So, equal numbers of both being stopped is way out of proportion.

The darkside? That is true expats world. In downtown pattaya, they have a much higher (maybe 95+%) chance of farang not having a motorcycle license or not having the intl license to make it valid in Thailand or not having a thai license :)

Never had a problem going wrong way up soi 1 (where i live), but if I did, there I would say it's valid.

ps how can a moderator post as not a moderator - higher standard, however, YOU ARE RIGHT here as not really something to do with your writing or something on the forum so I apologize. But, you are still always posting as a mod IMHO. Although, if you were in the same post to slam someone as a mod and then offer your own opinion, that would be insanely inappropriate.

In downtown pattaya, they have a much higher (maybe 95+%) chance of farang not having a motorcycle license or not having the intl license to make it valid in Thailand or not having a thai license :GoldenSmile1:

lol..isn't that justification enough for stopping more farangs than Thias.