IGNORED

King Prawns In Pattaya?

Hey Guys

Just got back from a trip to Sihanoukville, and one of the standouts for me was the incredible king prawns I could buy fresh on the beach. The ladies would get these fresh off the boat at 06:00, fry them up at home then hit the sand by 10:00 to sell fresh;

SVille_Lobster.jpg

They used to remove the shell, slice the back meat for easy removal, and cover in an incredible mixture of Kampot pepper, salt and lime juice - Outstanding. I did my first 'beer & lobster' day, 52 of these suckers and beer was my only sustainance the entire day.

I would pay USD$5 for 10 of these beauties before midday, USD$4 up until 15:00, and by 6pm I could buy for about USD$2 per 10 just because she couldn't sell the leftovers tomorrow and needed to get rid of them or take home to the family for free.

I'm looking forward to my first visit to Pats in November, and my question is can I get something like this in Pattaya? I've read various posts about the seafood options from dine-in to buy off the beach, but would appreciate any advise on availability and price.

Cheers

G

you can also get these on the beach in pattaya i have never tried them but they do look nice

I've heard horror stories about guys shitting their brains out after eating these.

I love shrimp and they look good, but... Any tips for making sure they are good/fresh???

Do they taste like a regular shrimp? Here in South Louisiana, the larger the shrimp the more rubbery they get. Texture more like a lobster or shrimp? Great picture i plan on eating some when i get there in september.

Do they taste like a regular shrimp? Here in South Louisiana, the larger the shrimp the more rubbery they get. Texture more like a lobster or shrimp? Great picture i plan on eating some when i get there in september.

Don't have a high expectation if you are coming from South Louisiana. I never heard of the word 'prawn' until I was 16 and wish I never had.

I was not sure about Sihanoukville but it sounds better than Pattaya. In my opinion in Pattaya buying these shrimp on the beach is the easiest way to get sick and I ruin your trip. I have heard so many stories. If they don't sell them at the end of the day I am almost sure they don't throw them away or eat them, they just set them down and sell them the next day. Most Thai girls on the beach won't touch them.

the ones in the pic appear to be boiled whereas the ones i usually see on the beach in patts are breaded and fried. i've eaten them often and never gotten sick. the ones at the beach don't appear to be as big as these though in the seafood restaurants they have some beautiful king prawns! if you're worried about freshness eat at the seafood restaurants but be ready to pay more. great dungeness crabs too.

the ones in the pic appear to be boiled whereas the ones i usually see on the beach in patts are breaded and fried. i've eaten them often and never gotten sick. the ones at the beach don't appear to be as big as these though in the seafood restaurants they have some beautiful king prawns! if you're worried about freshness eat at the seafood restaurants but be ready to pay more. great dungeness crabs too.

If you go to the Thai BBQ you can eat all you can for 109 Baht but they are not the big ones. You can cook them on your table or take them to the BBQ grill. You have to cook them but that is one of the reasons to take a girl with you.. you drink beer while she grills them and when she comes back to the table she will peel them for you.

If you go to the Thai BBQ you can eat all you can for 109 Baht but they are not the big ones. You can cook them on your table or take them to the BBQ grill. You have to cook them but that is one of the reasons to take a girl with you.. you drink beer while she grills them and when she comes back to the table she will peel them for you.

where is this? sounds great!!!

They are not King Prawns. They are Mantis Shrimp. When alive, they have the ability to lay your hand open with ease. I learned this the hard way on a dive trip about twenty years ago when I reached out to grab one. the gloves I had on didn't even help. They have these nasty retrackable blades or clubs (Depended on what type of Mantis Shrimp they are) that look like two large legs. They can be folded back or, held up just to the sides of the eyes while defended themself or hunting for pray. These little buggers live in holes in the sand or, under rocks or coral. The larger ones tend to live in brackish water. ("WORD OF WARNING") You don't want to eat any shellfish that lives in brackish water). When you get a chance, (with a dead one of course) take a look at the the two large front legs and, unfold them. Do so carefully because, the blades can be very sharp.

2973710875_127af55d52.jpg

Edited by pyrolover

where is this? sounds great

yes,i been in that restaurant also how many times was great 109 eat all you can bbq on the table,the name of the restaurant is Buffet party in pattaya thai..