Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

Thai Restaurants In the USA

I love Thai food, however it is a rip off in most USA ciities as they are very expensive and the quality is about 65% of the taste in LOS.

When I go to my favorite restaurant at home the prices are about 4 times what I would pay for the same meal or dish in LOS.

Yeah, pretty much the same in the UK.

The closest they come to being good value are those that are popular enough to operate a all-you-can-eat buffet, but generally the quality can suffer with these sort of deals.

One of my good friends owns a Thai restaurant. He said it is the rent/council licenses/gas and electricity/staff costs/suppliers costs etc that make it difficult to make a huge amount of profit, especially just now with the economic downturn.

I agree though with you that it's difficult to truly enjoy a Thai restaurant experience in a western country when you have tasted the authenticity in LOS.

I love Thai food, however it is a rip off in most USA ciities as they are very expensive and the quality is about 65% of the taste in LOS.

When I go to my favorite restaurant at home the prices are about 4 times what I would pay for the same meal or dish in LOS.

In NY and CA, never had a problem. Good value for the money. Yes, 4 times more, but I kind of expect that, no? :GoldenSmile1:

What Thai restaurants do you like in Thailand?

Yeah, pretty much the same in the UK.

The closest they come to being good value are those that are popular enough to operate a all-you-can-eat buffet, but generally the quality can suffer with these sort of deals.

One of my good friends owns a Thai restaurant. He said it is the rent/council licenses/gas and electricity/staff costs/suppliers costs etc that make it difficult to make a huge amount of profit, especially just now with the economic downturn.

I agree though with you that it's difficult to truly enjoy a Thai restaurant experience in a western country when you have tasted the authenticity in LOS.

Good point, different places have different cost structures. I was in Issan a few days ago and you can get a quarter of grilled chicken and sticky rice for 25 baht. You would not believe the small amount I got last night in Pattaya for 35 baht without sticky rice.

I would also imagine if restaurants in the west sold 'real' Thai food they would not have any customers. The average customer probably has never been to Thailand or if they have in BKK for business or a vacation to Phuket. If the order comes to the table with chicken feet or near rotten crab in it most people would run out of the joint, myself included.

But I guess you can have a good time at the place, especially if they are small. I used to go to one in Germany and made friends with the owners and other customers, had a great time drinking and going to Karaoke, etc including being a witness to a fight where a guy broke a bottle on the table and cut a guy in the face.

Yep, agree. Over charge and it is not that good.

I just eat a lot of rice and make prik nam pla at home to try and get my by until the next trip.

Yep, agree. Over charge and it is not that good.

I just eat a lot of rice and make prik nam pla at home to try and get my by until the next trip.

When you say 'Over charge' are you comparing to Thailand or the local Chinese or Burger place next door?

ditto....i am actually lucky enough to have a mom n pop restaurant to go to...he cooks, she runs the front...food is 90% as good as Pattaya (they only immigrated about 3 years ago from BKK, but like everyone else says, its $12US for Pad Thai or the coconut curry chicken or whatever else I like...only $2-3US in Thailand at the places I frequent...so i dont see the point in going much cept when ive got a bad case of withdrawl and need a fix.

I just eat thai 80% of the time while in the LOS and make the most of it.

cheers, alex