IGNORED

Airport screening is deemed 'not effective'

LaaMok

Investigation launched into flu infections

Airport screening is deemed 'not effective'

By: APIRADEE TREERUTKUARKUL

Published: 10/06/2009 at 12:00 AM

Authorities are investigating the case of two Taiwanese nationals who contracted influenza type-A (H1N1) while travelling in the eastern resort province of Chon Buri.

Taiwanese disease control authorities say two people tested positive for the flu strain after returning from a trip to Pattaya, the Disease Control Department director-general, Somchai Chakrabhandu, said yesterday.

Dr Somchai and a team of epidemiologists have rushed to Pattaya and nearby municipal areas to investigate how the two Taiwanese contracted the virus.

"It's possible that they may have contracted the virus in the country," he said. "We accept it's very difficult to control the spread of the virus, particularly among tourists."

Tourists with symptoms of the new flu, which are often mild, might not be aware of their infection and refuse to go to hospital for treatment. This increases the risk of the flu spreading, Dr Somchai said.

Public Health Minister Witthaya Kaewparadai yesterday said the report on the Taiwanese tourists contracting an H1N1 infection would have only a minor impact on the tourism industry.

The minister, however, conceded that screening passengers on arrival was "not totally effective" and that public cooperation was essential to help contain the virus from spreading.

Three more cases tested positive for the H1N1 flu strain yesterday, bringing the number of infections in Thailand to 13.

The three new cases - two 20-year-old women and a 30-year-old man - contracted the virus when in North America, said permanent secretary for public health Prat Boonyawongwirote.

One of the women, registered as the 11th case, travelled to the US in March and returned home on June 6. She developed the flu symptoms a day later and sought medical treatment at a private hospital in Bangkok.

The 12th case travelled to the US for work and study and was found to be suffering breathing difficulties when she arrived in Bangkok on June 5. She received medical treatment on June 7.

Read more here

http://www.thaigers.com/forum/Airport-Scre...med-t10366.html (please sign up more news alerts)

A few thoughts on this...a person can pencil-whip those sceening questionaires. The body heat detector might be ineffective. This flu is supposedly no worse than the regular seasonal flu. And is this really going to stop mongers from heading to Pattaya?

Ask BM Scrote about his quarantine experience in Naha, Okinawa, Japan...hahahha...he answered the questionaire honestly and then got violated by doctors!

Edited by Badger77

I was held up in the airport in Kuwait for 4 hours because I had to get screened. It was a bunch of shit. since I had an US Passport I needed to be checked before I could enter the country, even though I came from BKK. Everyone else got right through except me. Damn racial profiling :GrinNod1:

msg-16802-1244750478.jpg

How to resize your Photo's

I live my life like I type. Fast and with a lot of mistakes. ©

Shoot me an Email