IGNORED

Immigration crackdown on border runners

Mike Asia

Immigration crackdown on border runners

BANGKOK -- Thai Immigration Bureau has issued a new regulation to be enforced from today, June 1, 2009.

In a crackdown on foreigners who regularly abuse the tourist exemption rule of getting 15 days stay at border entry points, the Immigration Bureau has confirmed and informed thaivisa.com of the following new regulation:

A foreigner who has entered the kingdom four (4) consecutive times on 15 days tourist exemption stamps, will not be allowed to leave the country and reenter Thailand. The only option is to exit Thailand and re-enter via an international airport, which will allow a further 30 day stay.

Thaivisa.com has today confirmed the new regulations with the Immigration checkpoints in Pong Nam Ron and Aranyaprathet at the Cambodian border. We have also got confirmation from bus visa run companies that the new regulations are enforced from today June 1, 2009. Immigration checkpoints bordering Laos, Myanmar and Malaysia are expected to enforce the regulation shortly.

The new rules does not affect holders of visas issued abroad. Foreigners are advised to apply for a Tourist visas or Non-Immigrant visas at a Royal Thai Embassy or consulate outside Thailand instead of abusing the 15 day exemption rule.

As usual, holders of Tourist visas will be given 60 days stay while Non-Immigrant visa holders will be allowed 90 days stay.

From Thaivisa website.

So it is OK to go to the airport fly to another country and come back again but not OK to travel to the same country overland repeatedly!!!??...TiT

Pattaya Photos Free newbie guide to Pattaya How to get a TG a tourist visa for Australia Pattaya Weather

My moto for 2017: Don't argue with an idiot. Don't argue with.....

Crazy and also not sure its legal as the law stipulates the 90 day rule.

My understanding is the 90 day rule was scrapped at the same time they changed the overland border crossings from 30 t0 15 days

My understanding is the 90 day rule was scrapped at the same time they changed the overland border crossings from 30 t0 15 days

That is my understanding of it too.

Pattaya Photos Free newbie guide to Pattaya How to get a TG a tourist visa for Australia Pattaya Weather

Nice of Thailand to selflessly drive more tourist business away from them and instead to their neighbors. :rolleyes:

-Smelly

Perfecting my ability to "let that which does not matter truly slide"

Anyone know the reason for all of this? Of course it's sometimes impossible to understand anything the Thais do but what are they up to?

“Who are you to judge the life I live? I know I'm not perfect -and I don't live to be- but before you start pointing fingers... make sure you hands are clean!”. Bob Marley.

CountdownClockCodes.com

Anyone know the reason for all of this? Of course it's sometimes impossible to understand anything the Thais do but what are they up to?

Just as other changes have previously been made, its all in the name of weeding out those who will not or cannot get a proper visa. Seen as undesirables.

Just as other changes have previously been made, its all in the name of weeding out those who will not or cannot get a proper visa. Seen as undesirables.

Yes and just like the previous changes this measure will be just as ineffective. All it will do is to cost the 'undesirables' a little more money with very little gain for the country.

Nice of Thailand to selflessly drive more tourist business away from them and instead to their neighbors. :GiveBeer1:

-Smelly

Don't think this really affects the real money spending tourists. Those usually stay less than a month, or will have the proper visas to stay longer.

[center][size="3"][url="http://www.pattaya-addicts.com/forum/topic/21796-getting-to-los-in-one-piece-tips-for-surviving-the-flight/page__p__322708__fromsearch__1&#entry322708"]Getting to LOS in one piece, tips for surviving the flight[/url] [/size][size="3"] [color="#000000"][b][size="4"]Restaurant Reviews[/size][/b][/color] [url="http://www.pattaya-addicts.com/forum/topic/34723-benihanas-brunch-in-royal-garden-plaza/page__p__550523__fromsearch__1&#entry550523"]Benihana's Brunch[/url] [url="http://www.pattaya-addicts.com/forum/topic/40196-shabushi-restaurant-6th-fl-central-festival/page__p__642739__fromsearch__1&#entry642739"]Shabushi[/url] [url="http://www.pattaya-addicts.com/forum/topic/40224-central-festival-food-loft/"]Central Food Loft[/url] [url="http://www.pattaya-addicts.com/forum/topic/56291-rosabieng-restaurant-sukhumvit-soi-11/"]Rosabieng (Bangkok)[/url] [url="http://www.pattaya-addicts.com/forum/topic/34681-more-bar-and-grill-downstairs-from-the-marriott/page__p__549788__fromsearch__1&#entry549788"]More Bar and Grill[/url] [url="http://www.pattaya-addicts.com/forum/topic/34680-valentines-day-at-cherrys-on-third/page__p__549786__fromsearch__1&#entry549786"]Cherry's[/url] [url="http://www.pattaya-addicts.com/forum/topic/56293-bali-hai-sunset/"]Bali-Hai Sunset[/url] [url="http://www.pattaya-addicts.com/forum/topic/56294-so-who-wants-to-eat-shit/"]Shit[/url] [url="http://www.pattaya-addicts.com/forum/topic/56315-rogers-italian/page__gopid__879575&#entry879575"]Roger's Italian[/url] [/size][/center][center][size="3"][color="#000000"][b][size="4"]Hotel Reviews[/size][/b][/color] [url="http://www.pattaya-addicts.com/forum/topic/34823-mosaik-apartments-soi-daynight-2/page__p__551879__fromsearch__1&#entry551879"]Mosaik Apartments[/url] [url="http://www.pattaya-addicts.com/forum/topic/37964-paragon-place-hotel-pattaya-nua-rd/page__p__605514__fromsearch__1&#entry605514"]Paragon Place[/url] [/size][size="3"][color="#000000"][b][size="4"]Trip Reports[/size][/b][/color] [url="http://www.pattaya-addicts.com/forum/topic/34867-a-short-visit-to-koh-chang/page__p__552510__fromsearch__1&#entry552510"]Koh Chang[/url] [url="http://www.pattaya-addicts.com/forum/topic/38011-khao-yai-national-park/page__p__606162__fromsearch__1&#entry606162"]Khao Yai National Park[/url] [url="http://www.pattaya-addicts.com/forum/topic/38006-songkran-in-the-village/page__p__606114__fromsearch__1&#entry606114"]Songkran in the Village[/url][/size] [/center]

Reason? Now thats funny, this is Thailand, reasoning does't come into it.

The reason?? I suspect it is the same as the reasoning used in some of the Arab countries. Bahrain, Qatar, UAE all have limits also, and only require their hookers to board up a plane, go to one of their partner countries, and come back. They get another 30 days. In fact, it Qatar and also in Bahrain, they have special isles set up in immigration for those that are coming in, stamping in, and getting back on the same plane. It is not exactly a hidden agenda.

They do it over there, because the airlines participating in this, are all state owned, or at least royalty owned companies. They sell $350 air tickets for a 20 minute flight round trip, to subsidize the fat cat airline owners. Thai air is likely pushing this as well as some of the other local short haul airlines that will take you to Singapore, Malaysia, Cambodia etc....

As with all things mysterious within Thailand, look for the money reason. You will soon find the logic deep in there somewhere.

Thai AirAsia is 50% Thai owned, so they probably get more from people booking last minute flights than the bus companies do with the buses. Thailand is quite the cash cow, we all know it but we go there anyway to get milked in a different way!

Sorry for being a little confused, but I'm not quite sure I understand exactly what's going on here. Does this mean that if someone plans on staying longer than 30 days that he has to buy a plane ticket instead of the usual day and back bus trip to Cambodia, Malaysia or Laos? Or is it targeting those that are trying to stay past the normal alotment of 3 visa runs? I'm concerned because I have a 2 month trip coming up and I was planning on just doing one visa run to Cambodia. But I don't think I wanna do a fight there and back. ???

The reason?? I suspect it is the same as the reasoning used in some of the Arab countries. Bahrain, Qatar, UAE all have limits also, and only require their hookers to board up a plane, go to one of their partner countries, and come back. They get another 30 days. In fact, it Qatar and also in Bahrain, they have special isles set up in immigration for those that are coming in, stamping in, and getting back on the same plane. It is not exactly a hidden agenda.

They do it over there, because the airlines participating in this, are all state owned, or at least royalty owned companies. They sell $350 air tickets for a 20 minute flight round trip, to subsidize the fat cat airline owners. Thai air is likely pushing this as well as some of the other local short haul airlines that will take you to Singapore, Malaysia, Cambodia etc....

As with all things mysterious within Thailand, look for the money reason. You will soon find the logic deep in there somewhere.

Some inaccuracy above.

As per an agreement signed bewteen Thailand & Bahrain they get 30 days on arrival but still subject to the discretion of immigration especially when the girls have been there for a while. viz - done too may visa runs etc.

The first visa renewal is a formality stamp at the Immigration head office and every second one is by plane. This costs approximately 40 BHD return to Qatar. The only landmass the girls could technically travel to is Saudi and thats why they dont do land visa runs.

Qatar does not allow the girls in the city without a visa. Getting a visa for single females in Qatar can be nearly impossible and that includes some Europeans.

UAE Thais get a 30 day visa through travel agencies, hotels and Emirates airlines. They can do visa runs to Oman or fly to Kish. No guarantees with either depending on the supporting reasons. Some nationalities are required to lodge a deposit. Indians etc 5000 AED or approximately 50k baht.

Singapore - Thai (working) females get 15 days at the airport at the discretion of immigration. Most Europeans get 30 at the airport but only 15 at Woodlands.

Australia - Usually but not always Thai girls can get a 90 day visa them must leave. There are no adjoining land masses for bus runs so it is a fly out scheme and each visit and visa is closely monitored.

Now what about Thailand??????????

I also think there's money involved somewhere, before it was the imigration points where u pay to have your visa stamped, now u take a flight out

Sorry for being a little confused, but I'm not quite sure I understand exactly what's going on here. Does this mean that if someone plans on staying longer than 30 days that he has to buy a plane ticket instead of the usual day and back bus trip to Cambodia, Malaysia or Laos? Or is it targeting those that are trying to stay past the normal alotment of 3 visa runs? I'm concerned because I have a 2 month trip coming up and I was planning on just doing one visa run to Cambodia. But I don't think I wanna do a fight there and back. ???

No, according to this article if you want to stay 2 months you can still get 30 days at the airport and make 2 border runs to Cambodia for 15 days each.

The best thing to do is to get a tourist visa from the Thai Consulate before you come, I think this is the best way and the point of this topic.

What are most folks here doing for visa? Getting it before you come or waiting? Can you get a visa at the airport?

What are most folks here doing for visa? Getting it before you come or waiting? Can you get a visa at the airport?

If you have a US passport you don't need a visa, you get 30 days when you land at the airport without a visa(visa exemption)

You can't get a visa at the airport unless you do not qualify under the visa exemption. People with passports from certain countries can apply for a 'Visa on Arrival' at the airport and get 15 days(for example India, Saudi, Ukraine)

Again if you want to stay for several months get a tourist visa at the consulate where you reside before coming. If you are not a resident in the country some places will reject your application for a tourist visa(Tokyo, Manila) and other places will issue one(Vientiane, Penang).

@ Mike asia

Again if you want to stay for several months get a tourist visa at the consulate where you reside before coming. If you are not a resident in the country some places will reject your application for a tourist visa(Tokyo, Manila) and other places will issue one(Vientiane, Penang).

100% correct, but add to your "places to go for a visa" list as follows:

Kota Bharu, KL, Singapore, Phnom Phen and Savannakhet

have fun

Rabatti

C6DSvY9gYBbv57F.jpg

what if my wife thai national resides in ireland an i want to stay for 2 months what visa would i need

what if my wife thai national resides in ireland an i want to stay for 2 months what visa would i need

For a short stay my understanding is that the fact that you have a Thai wife is irrelevant. You need to get the same visa as anybody else. If your stay is under 60 days get a tourist visa. If it is over you might consider a non-immigrant type-O visa. Having a Thai wife may help if you go the non-imm visa route.

Is my understanding correct that quite a few people will be hit with this thing? It sure looks that way. I can see the government's point, but at the same time, I can see how it's not very fair. Two sides to every story, I guess.