IGNORED

Cell/ Mobile Phone in LOS

Is it better to have a mobile phone in LOS or is it a hassle to have one?

How often does one lose their mobile while out and drinking ?

Buying minutes are they expensive ?

Do the pros out way the cons in having a mobile ?

best thing to do is bring an old sim free phone from home and then buy a thai sim card

loads of phone shops in big c and tuk com...200-300 for the sim

top cards are available in all 7-11 shop etc

minutes will be cheap compared to your home

I have a Problem..... I just can't decide if its a good problem or a bad problem...

• 2 months later...

Is there a place that sells used phones that I can purchase some minutes on? I'd probably leave the phone when I return home. Kind of like a disposable camera. I don't want to take the chance of losing my phone while out partying.

It's best to have a phone. You're going to meet girls who you'll call when you're in a mood for a shag. Also, you may meet BMs and will want to roam the gogos together. Just buy a cheap phone if you're afraid of losing it. The phone cards which can be bought at every convenience store are inexpensive as well.

either way is fine, i bought an unblocked phone over there last year for 1500 baht then topped up as needed.or as a previous post take an unlocked one from home ..up to you,

<p>

Here's a stupid question: what is an unlocked phone?

I have a tri-band phone. Can I just replace the SIM card in LOS and use it while there. Then replace it with my original when I get back home?

Here's a stupid question: what is an unlocked phone?

I have a tri-band phone. Can I just replace the SIM card in LOS and use it while there. Then replace it with my original when I get back home?

Some cell phones are designed to use a Subscriber Identification Module (SIM) card, or microchip that stores subscriber data. The SIM card is issued by a carrier and provides cell service by activating any phone into which it is inserted. A locked phone, however, will only recognize a SIM card from a particular carrier. If the cell phone is unlocked, it will recognize a SIM card from any carrier. The "lock" is a software setting that keeps the cell phone "loyal" to one carrier.

In areas like the United States where carriers offer free or deeply discounted phones with cellplans, the phones are commonly locked so that they will not work withother carriers. Carriers claim this is necessary to subsidize the costof the phones. After a period of time, a carrier might agree to unlockthe phoneupon request, perhaps charging a fee. However, due to proprietarysettings sometimes installed in locked handsets, the phones don'talways function correctly with other carriers, even once unlocked.

From the viewpoint of the consumer, the practice of carriers lockingphones and using proprietary settings defeats many of the benefits ofSIM handsets. Complaints led to a class action suit filed in California in June 2004 by American watchdog group Foundation for Taxpayer and Consumer Rights (FTCR). Ideally phones should be left unlocked, or at least unlocked after the initial contract expires.

One way to get an unlocked phone without proprietary settings is to buy it new from a third party vendor in its original, unlockedstate. The downside is that the price is commonly close to full retail.Some consumers might find it tough to dish out big bucks for a phone that they can get for free with a plan. The advantage is that the third party unlocked phone should work equally well with any carrier that uses SIM cards.

Unlocked cell phones are in such demand that third party services will unlock your cell phone for a fee. This doesn't guarantee the phone will always work correctly, as proprietary settings might remain. There are also hacking instructions online to unlock many models of phones, but a phone that is unlocked improperly can be rendered inoperable.

Carriers operating on the GSMnetwork use SIM cards. In the United Sates, this includes CingularWireless, now one with AT&T Wireless, and T-Mobile. Carriers thatuse the competing CDMA network do not yet use card-enabled phones. These carriers include Sprint PCS, Verizon and Virgin Mobile. The CDMA equivalent of the SIM card — the R-UIM — will be used by these carriers in the future. R-UIM cards are already in use in some parts of Asia.

you`ll need to get your phone unlocked...easily done at most cell phone places in Pattaya

Posted this on the thread about modem unblocking as well.

Get it unlocked, if you can, in the UK or any country outside Thailand.

I had then "unlock" a A$650 Motorola, it then worked in thailand, but they fucked it for Australia,

took it to Motorola they looked at it and said chip has been tampered with not economical to repair.

So stuff the thai phone experts.

Oh and I must add this was at Tops

Posted this on the thread about modem unblocking as well.

Get it unlocked, if you can, in the UK or any country outside Thailand.

I had then "unlock" a A$650 Motorola, it then worked in thailand, but they fucked it for Australia,

took it to Motorola they looked at it and said chip has been tampered with not economical to repair.

So stuff the thai phone experts.

Oh and I must add this was at Tops

i`d be curious to know how many other guys have had this problem when getting their cell unlocked in Thailand.

I have had 2 phones that were locked by Telstra in Oz,Unlocked at Tuk.com Pattaya and both worked back in Oz no ploblem. Cost was 300 baht each

Some cell phones are designed to use a Subscriber Identification Module (SIM) card, or microchip that stores subscriber data. The SIM card is issued by a carrier and provides cell service by activating any phone into which it is inserted. A locked phone, however, will only recognize a SIM card from a particular carrier. If the cell phone is unlocked, it will recognize a SIM card from any carrier. The "lock" is a software setting that keeps the cell phone "loyal" to one carrier.

In areas like the United States where carriers offer free or deeply discounted phones with cellplans, the phones are commonly locked so that they will not work withother carriers. Carriers claim this is necessary to subsidize the costof the phones. After a period of time, a carrier might agree to unlockthe phoneupon request, perhaps charging a fee. However, due to proprietarysettings sometimes installed in locked handsets, the phones don'talways function correctly with other carriers, even once unlocked.

From the viewpoint of the consumer, the practice of carriers lockingphones and using proprietary settings defeats many of the benefits ofSIM handsets. Complaints led to a class action suit filed in California in June 2004 by American watchdog group Foundation for Taxpayer and Consumer Rights (FTCR). Ideally phones should be left unlocked, or at least unlocked after the initial contract expires.

One way to get an unlocked phone without proprietary settings is to buy it new from a third party vendor in its original, unlockedstate. The downside is that the price is commonly close to full retail.Some consumers might find it tough to dish out big bucks for a phone that they can get for free with a plan. The advantage is that the third party unlocked phone should work equally well with any carrier that uses SIM cards.

Unlocked cell phones are in such demand that third party services will unlock your cell phone for a fee. This doesn't guarantee the phone will always work correctly, as proprietary settings might remain. There are also hacking instructions online to unlock many models of phones, but a phone that is unlocked improperly can be rendered inoperable.

Carriers operating on the GSMnetwork use SIM cards. In the United Sates, this includes CingularWireless, now one with AT&T Wireless, and T-Mobile. Carriers thatuse the competing CDMA network do not yet use card-enabled phones. These carriers include Sprint PCS, Verizon and Virgin Mobile. The CDMA equivalent of the SIM card — the R-UIM — will be used by these carriers in the future. R-UIM cards are already in use in some parts of Asia.

you`ll need to get your phone unlocked...easily done at most cell phone places in Pattaya

A very clear and detailed explanation. Thanks much lespaul!!

Please let me know if the following is a good course of action for using my phone in LOS.

First, copy all contact information from phone memory into the existing SIM card as backup, in case something gets screwed up when unlocking the phone. Get to LOS and unlock my phone and buy a new SIM card. Set the phone to store all contact info into SIM memory, not phone memory so that I do not mix phone number (LOS and non-LOS). Upon return to the US, replace the LOS SIM with the original. Then hope that the phone works without a hitch. If not, not a big deal as I am ready to upgrade to an iPhone.

Any holes in that thinking?? Also, does the LOS SIM card have any value once I get home (i.e., to use for future trips) or do I just discard it?

Thanks in advance.

Forget the last question about the value of the LOS SIM card after my trip. I found the answer elsewhere - the SIM card expires after a fixed period, except for one vendor that will allow top-ups over the internet to keep it active. Hey, I'm learning quick. What a great forum to get info!

• 3 weeks later...

I tried the free unlock service talked about on another thread, but it did not work for me. So I decided to call the carrier and see if they would unlock the phone. What did I have to lose?

I called ATT Wireless (USA) and requested that my phone be unlocked so that I could use local carriers on my trip. After reviewing my account, the rep said sure and put me on hold. After a couple of minutes, he explained that they had to request the code from Nokia for their phones. ATT could not generate the unlock code. So he put the request in and said they would either call or send me an email.

After two days, no reply. I called ATT again and asked about my request. The lady said that it would take 5-7 days for Nokia to respond. I didn't care for that answer and asked why it took so long. She didn't have an answer. She estimated I would receive it in 4 days. I didn't get upset, just ended the call.

About 3 hours later, I check my email and there is a note with my unlock code! I followed the directions and got the message "system restriction off". So I'm good to go.

FYI, I am a long-time ATT (Cingular) customer and I'm nearing the end of my most recent 2-year contract. So the phone subsidy has been long paid off. That may have something to do with their cooperation.

• 2 weeks later...

Has anybody tried an unlock SIM card. Apparently you can clip the unlock SIM card into your mobile with a Thai Sim & it will work. Sounds too good to be true do they work. I have just bought one off Ebay for £2 heres the link

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Universal-Turbo-Unlock-SIM-for-Any-Mobile-Cell-Phone_W0QQitemZ150377292370QQcmdZViewItemQQptZPDA_Accessories?hash=item23032f6252&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

why not just make it simple.

Go to Tukcom, buy a cheap cell phone(1000-1500 Baht). 2 floor (1st for Brits) has a gazillion cell phone shops

Buy a Sim card(100-200 baht)

Buy prepaid minutes (Cheap)

When you come back to LOS, buy a new sim card(if old one has expired) and new prepaid minutes

Relax

what frequency do they use in thailand? not sure if my cell phone will work there...

where is the best place to get sim....I think I will just get pre paid sim card how much r those and how many min? thanks

I've been with Verizon since my first cell phone way back when. This last time when I renewed my contract to upgrade my phone, I got a Blackberry Tour, which has both CDMA and GSM. While the phone does come locked to Verizon's partners on the GSM side, (not sure who but they do have an "International Plan"), all it took for me to get it unlocked was calling up Verizon and asking. There were no hassles, and it only took a few minutes. I suspect Verizon doesn't care all that much since they are not GSM, and I'm still going to be using their network whenever I'm in the US. (And I still have another year and a half contract with them to pay on.)

I'll be testing how well the unlocking goes when I get to Thailand and buy a SIM card. I thought about just buying a throwaway phone, but I'm reconsidering. I really like my Blackberry, and it's insured in case anything happens to it. It cost a lot less than my camera, and I'm not thinking of getting some cheap disposable camera to travel with -- why should I think differently about my phone?

One thing though, I doubt I'll carry it in the Blackberry holster. :ShitHappens1: That would be just asking to lose it.

Just imagine what happened before cell phones. Good thread as I am researchign all the in and outs. Think I will grap a cheap hone and card. No sense in bringing a good phone that may or may not work. thanks

001_Thank_You5.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Just a quick summary of my cell phone experience in LOS.

As I posted earlier, ATT Wireless gave me the code to unlock my Nokia phone prior to leaving for LOS. This worked perfectly.

However, my phone would not work with 1-2Call. Not sure why, maybe my phone didn't support their frequencies? My phone is a tri-band (850/1800/1900). A guy at Tukcom said DTAC would work and he was right. Except for Sukhumvit Road in BKK at the end of my trip. For some reason I couldn't get a signal there. As soon as I got on the expressway, I got a working signal. Called the DTAC customer support and they couldn't figure it out, but they offered to replace the SIM card at any of their stores. Funny thing was I went to BKK for a day earlier in my trip and the phone worked with no problems in the SUK area then. Weird!!

Returned to the US, replaced my original SIM card, and everything is working as normal.

I hope this info helps someone else. Thanks for all the good replies to my questions earlier.

1-2Call primarily uses the 900mhz band. If you're bringing an unlocked phone from home it's best to bring a quad band.

Verizon will unlock any of the few Blackberry models it offers with GSM for anyone who's been on Verizon contract for more than 60 days, even if you didn't have the BB the whole 60 days. They just want to make sure you're not a "runner." However, your Blackberry services won't work in Thailand with a 1-2call SIM (or any other brand...that I've tried.)

• 4 months later...

• 3 months later...

Grunt, to call the US, use the country code supplied and dial home, or wherever. It's not very expensive. When you get your card, it has a number. There is a peel-off sticker you can stick to your phone. It has your Thai phone number on it. Just have your buds call that number. That's it.

At times you can pick up a cheapy new phone here for 900 baht or less, almost a throw away at that price

GoldenSmile1.gif

Bam Bam

That which doesn't kill me only makes me stronger

• 4 weeks later...

hi all,

I will be back to LOS in October with 2 cell phones (one is my homeland phone and another is an unlocked mobile phone only for travel).

I will buy a Thai SIM card to put in my unlocked phone. But I don't want only call with it, I would like to check my email also. Anyone knows about the price for it ? Thai SIM card + call + internet (only for one month if possible) ?

Thanks

Cheers.

"It is YOUR holidays, ENJOY !"