IGNORED

Air Asia Review

Gone with the wind

If you have a long stopover (hours or overnight) there is a cheap, new and clean hotel a 10 minute walk away.

Its called Tune or Tunes. Google it with LCCT and you'll find it.

The place is a dog box, not clean and you will be asked to leave by security at 10am exactly. Tried it only once.

I have been using Air Asia for a few years now and it is my preference, always cheap and mostly on time.

I buy economy from Perth to KL and XL for the return,(overnight) as I want to sleep.

Most times in economy you can find a centre row line of seats vacant and move in and stretch out, but not always.

Domestically in BKK I try and be last on the first shuttle bus, which puts you almost first onto the plane, so front seats.

In KL you need to be early and be near the front of the queue for the walk out.

Only problem I have with them is the connection times between arrival and departure in KL, going both ways, they just don't match very well to and from Perth

But at the price I have to tolerate this $350 return. And I have good use for the savings.

There was a business club available at the lcct but i did not get the details. Waiting in there with the free drinks and nibblies may be benifitial, does anyone know of the details or website available for this?

Yes not too bad, free entry for the holders of some certain credit cards otherwise MR 50 I think, may be wrong

about this price, but it's not a lot and somewhere safe to strecth out.

Edited by luckyphil91

Not on the shorter runs from kl to BK or domestic runs

How do you go if you have an assigned seat on this leg, will I find someone in mine?

• 1 month later...

Flying to BKK with AA in a few weeks time and just out of curiosity went online yesterday to check seat availability on my legs from PER-KL KL-BKK BKK-KL KL-PER.

The PER-KL-PER looks about 30% full and no change to flights (as yet) then I checked the KL-BKK-KL leg and noticed the return BKK-KL flight that I was booked on AK 747 was not shown, but another flight FD 3575 was rescheduled to leave 10min before my original flight....:DeadHorse2:? no emails no phone calls no notification whatsoever.

I immediately called AA to confirm what had happened and spoke to one of their staff who after several times being put on hold, whilst he consulted a senior staff member said "I think it cancel...you no receive email?" me " No didn't receive any notification" him " Ok we change your flight to FD 3575 is ok?"

It has been changed and new my itinerary issued via email. I'm also travelling with a mate on the same flight so I immediately rang him and told him the scenario and what to do.

His little helper from AA informs him "If flight fully booked will not show, is ok no cancel":Ignore1: so he doesn't change anything and calls me...now I'm thinking I'll have to change everything back to its original.

So I call AA again and get a very helpful lass who does confirm my suspicions and yes the flight was canceled and she also reserves a seat for me which I had prepaid on my original booking.

So I rings my mate again and give him the low down on wtf's going on and to try again and hopefully get an informed consultant....that was last night and haven't heard back as yet...but I'm thinking he has changed it.

The conclusion is if you travel with these guys check your flights haven't been rescheduled or canceled cause it was only by accident I happened to check. I was made aware they have a habit of this from the online reviews I had read and still dont know why I was not informed of the changes, hopefully no more dramas.

Happy travels

Edited by barmatt

Gday

Just wondering how much time you guys allow between flights at KL travelling from AUS to TLand? I am thinking about booking MLB-KL-BKK all air asia but am worried as the MLB flight arrives at 6;40pm and the one to BKK leaves at 9.15pm. Is this cutting it to thin since you have to do the whole baggage collection/immigration thing? And If your first flight is late so you miss the later flight do they get you on the next flight for free? or do you pay for another? I am expecting they wouldnt pay for shit if such a scenario were to occur.

Any answers would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by arks31

<center><embed src="http://www.countdownclockcodes.com/cd/ccc-vacation/show.swf?clickURL=http://www.countdownclockcodes.com/&clickLABEL=MySpace Countdown Clocks&flashLABEL=Countdown Clock Codes&skin=http://www.countdownclockcodes.com/cd/ccc-vacation/skins/30.jpg&text=%20PATTAYA%21%21&untilColor=6724095&textColor=0&datesColor=0&year=2010&month=7&day=11&hour=12&minute=00&second=0&x=6&y=77" quality="high" bgcolor="#ffffff" width="300" height="200" name="countdown" align="middle" wmode="transparent" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer" /><br><small><a href="http://www.countdownclockcodes.com/">MySpace Countdown Clocks</a></small></center>

They are not the same flight they are separate flights so if you missed the second flight you forfeit your money. However what did the KL to BKK ticket cost $40??.

The LCCT is not big so 2hrs 35 minutes if your flight is on time would be enough to get throught customs and re check in.

I flew in from Melbourne and had about the same time difference as you, i didnt take the punt and opted for a latter flight however my flight arrived 15 minutes early and i was through customs and collected my bag within 25 minutes , so i would of made the earlier flight easy.

How much cheaper is Melb-KL-BKK -return than flying with Jetstar direct because IMO with the stopover, extended traveling time, inferior airline you are a lot better of paying $100 odd more

I flew recently

Melb - KL , i was lucky the flight was about 70% full so i had a seat by myself , i dont think i would of coped sitting for 6 hours with someone next to me in such a confined space.

KL I stayed at tune hotel ,Short time check in 10.00am but had to check out at 2.00 , it was about $25aus but was good to get 4 hours sleep as i can't sleep on planes

KL-Macau A freind of myself travelled together an we booked the window and aisle seat leaving one seat in the middle , beleiving that the flight would have to be 100% full before someone would siting next to us, unfortuantley the flight was fully booked , it was incrediblt uncomfortable and we asked to be moved to the vacant extra legroom seats which they allowed.

Macau to BKK - At check in , they upgraded us to the extra legroom free

So i cant complain becuase in three flights i was fortunate enough to be have adequate room, all flights were on time.

Would i fly them again? From Melb - KL probably not, the stopover is a killer , and the seats are too small for a long hual. I would only consider it if the price was so cheap it enabled me to book two seats and still be substainally cheaper than Jetstar to compensate for the extra travel time.

For Short Trips throuout Asia , without doubt , if there were two people travelling i'd book three seats , I think Maccau to BKK was $29 so thats an extra 14.50 each to ensure two people can travel in comfort.

I caught a flight with them in December when the BKK Airport was close. The closest my airline could get

me to Thailand at the time was either Singapore or Hong Kong.

So I decided to a catch a flight with them from Hong Kong to Utapao, it ran me about THB 6,400 (one way).

There was nothing great about the flight. We flew in a Airbus A320 with the 3-3 configuration.

With that, all the seats were the same. You had the option of buying something to snack on if you were hungry!

All in all....I probably would use their services again....but only if I had to!.... :GoldenSmile1:

Edited by quenton79

Thanks for the replies much appreciated! I think I'll stick with Air Asia then, its almost half the cost jetstar is in the time I'm looking at going. Last few times I flew singapore and thai on my asia travels and got no sleep on those so may aswell pay half the amount and not sleep. The thing I hate about australian low cost carriers is that they are not even cheap when compared to examples in Europe, US and Asia. Then again everything is a rip off in Australia incomparison to most of Asia and the US, whether its food, fuel, rent utilities etcetera.

I might even take advantage of air asias direct KL flight To Chang mai and check that out for a few days.

Do airasia flights share the same terminal at KL both domestic and international?

Edited by arks31

<center><embed src="http://www.countdownclockcodes.com/cd/ccc-vacation/show.swf?clickURL=http://www.countdownclockcodes.com/&clickLABEL=MySpace Countdown Clocks&flashLABEL=Countdown Clock Codes&skin=http://www.countdownclockcodes.com/cd/ccc-vacation/skins/30.jpg&text=%20PATTAYA%21%21&untilColor=6724095&textColor=0&datesColor=0&year=2010&month=7&day=11&hour=12&minute=00&second=0&x=6&y=77" quality="high" bgcolor="#ffffff" width="300" height="200" name="countdown" align="middle" wmode="transparent" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer" /><br><small><a href="http://www.countdownclockcodes.com/">MySpace Countdown Clocks</a></small></center>

I have flown many times from-

Gold Coast to KL

Bali to KL

KL to Bangkok

Bangkok to Surat Thani

All flights were on time the seats were assigned when we received our tickets the food was decent and the staff were HOT!!!

I only had one problem with excess baggage which was my fault for not booking it prior.

Also planing my next trip to Bangkok in January with them....cant wait!!

I'll say it again.

For Mel - Bkk return for just $220 I'll endure a stopover, inferior service, etc.

And some of the flight attendants are hot!

• 1 month later...

Recently flew AA, PER-BKK return and will never put myself through that experience again.

First off they didn’t inform us of a flight cancellation even though they had our contact details , another flight was delayed 90mins which caused us to miss our bus to Patts, had to catch a cab for 1500baht, had to go through immigration at KL collect our bags then check-in again...no fucking transfer process and seats were very uncomfortable with no back support and cramped. The seating is designed for midgets and children.

BTW I paid top dollar for the tickets, missed the discounts by 2 weeks.

I’ll only fly Thai to BKK next time.

I would use them again if I didn't have to be somewhere at a certain time, the flight was no more than 2hrs and no transfers involved.

Edited by barmatt

Recently travelled this airline for the first time internationally. They have some very good, and occasionally amazing fares, so thought I'd add some thoughts - especially for those in Aust.

You may have heard that the seats are very narrow and don't really recline - this is true! If you are a big fella, it may be worth investing a few extra $$$ for seats with extra legroom. However, this can backfire, as it did for me, if the plane is not full. If you are quick, you can scramble for entire vacant rows towards the rear of the plane after take-off. Because the extra legroom seats have entertainment and meal trays in the arm rest, they cant be lifted. I was stuck for the first leg.

Mel - KL. Plane left on time. It was modern and clean, and the service was ok, although not many stunners on this leg. Arrived about 40 mins early.

The LCCT in KL is basic. For a stop-over of more than an hour or so, it sucks really. Its basically a big shed with a few stores. Unfortunately, being 7am, the only bar there was closed.

KL - Bkk. Left on time. Paydirt!!! The crew consisted of 4 stunning mid 20's Thai girls. I was seated in the first row....felt like Richard Branson. What a nice way to spend 2 hours on approaching Bangkok! Got the blood flowing.

Bkk- KL. Left on time. Two cute crew (and 2 guys) ...1 Thai, 1 Malay...I think.

KL - Mel. Thankfully the bar was open so downed a few local brews to pass the time (Anchor I think). Flight left on time....crew was a mix..a few cuties.

So, would I fly with them again....well, yes and no.

The seats are an issue, and the stopover. Because they don't check bags through, you are required to clear immigration, collect luggage, check in, and clear immigration again then wait. It felt like I was travelling for days.

I think if I can find a better airline that falls within $200, (not uncommon at the moment) I will pay the extra.

A mate of mine recently got a fair for $140 return!!! Bastard. Another mate bought 2 seats for himself which was still cheaper than a major airline.

Recently, there have been fares for as little as $699 return (Thai, Malaysian) from Melb, Syd (Emirates), Bris (Royal Brunei).

At the end of the day, you get what you pay for. $525 return is a good deal at the time, and we all know where the savings can be used.

I got a return flight MEL - BKK with jetstar for AUD $520 very comfortable and a direct flight.

Dont know what your talking about, I've just booked a return and are in the running to win a water buffalo.