IGNORED

Air Asia Review

Gone with the wind

Recently travelled this airline for the first time internationally. They have some very good, and occasionally amazing fares, so thought I'd add some thoughts - especially for those in Aust.

You may have heard that the seats are very narrow and don't really recline - this is true! If you are a big fella, it may be worth investing a few extra $$$ for seats with extra legroom. However, this can backfire, as it did for me, if the plane is not full. If you are quick, you can scramble for entire vacant rows towards the rear of the plane after take-off. Because the extra legroom seats have entertainment and meal trays in the arm rest, they cant be lifted. I was stuck for the first leg.

Mel - KL. Plane left on time. It was modern and clean, and the service was ok, although not many stunners on this leg. Arrived about 40 mins early.

The LCCT in KL is basic. For a stop-over of more than an hour or so, it sucks really. Its basically a big shed with a few stores. Unfortunately, being 7am, the only bar there was closed.

KL - Bkk. Left on time. Paydirt!!! The crew consisted of 4 stunning mid 20's Thai girls. I was seated in the first row....felt like Richard Branson. What a nice way to spend 2 hours on approaching Bangkok! Got the blood flowing.

Bkk- KL. Left on time. Two cute crew (and 2 guys) ...1 Thai, 1 Malay...I think.

KL - Mel. Thankfully the bar was open so downed a few local brews to pass the time (Anchor I think). Flight left on time....crew was a mix..a few cuties.

So, would I fly with them again....well, yes and no.

The seats are an issue, and the stopover. Because they don't check bags through, you are required to clear immigration, collect luggage, check in, and clear immigration again then wait. It felt like I was travelling for days.

I think if I can find a better airline that falls within $200, (not uncommon at the moment) I will pay the extra.

A mate of mine recently got a fair for $140 return!!! Bastard. Another mate bought 2 seats for himself which was still cheaper than a major airline.

Recently, there have been fares for as little as $699 return (Thai, Malaysian) from Melb, Syd (Emirates), Bris (Royal Brunei).

At the end of the day, you get what you pay for. $525 return is a good deal at the time, and we all know where the savings can be used.

Recently travelled this airline for the first time internationally. They have some very good, and occasionally amazing fares, so thought I'd add some thoughts - especially for those in Aust.

You may have heard that the seats are very narrow and don't really recline - this is true! If you are a big fella, it may be worth investing a few extra $$$ for seats with extra legroom. However, this can backfire, as it did for me, if the plane is not full. If you are quick, you can scramble for entire vacant rows towards the rear of the plane after take-off. Because the extra legroom seats have entertainment and meal trays in the arm rest, they cant be lifted. I was stuck for the first leg.

Mel - KL. Plane left on time. It was modern and clean, and the service was ok, although not many stunners on this leg. Arrived about 40 mins early.

The LCCT in KL is basic. For a stop-over of more than an hour or so, it sucks really. Its basically a big shed with a few stores. Unfortunately, being 7am, the only bar there was closed.

KL - Bkk. Left on time. Paydirt!!! The crew consisted of 4 stunning mid 20's Thai girls. I was seated in the first row....felt like Richard Branson. What a nice way to spend 2 hours on approaching Bangkok! Got the blood flowing.

Bkk- KL. Left on time. Two cute crew (and 2 guys) ...1 Thai, 1 Malay...I think.

KL - Mel. Thankfully the bar was open so downed a few local brews to pass the time (Anchor I think). Flight left on time....crew was a mix..a few cuties.

So, would I fly with them again....well, yes and no.

The seats are an issue, and the stopover. Because they don't check bags through, you are required to clear immigration, collect luggage, check in, and clear immigration again then wait. It felt like I was travelling for days.

I think if I can find a better airline that falls within $200, (not uncommon at the moment) I will pay the extra.

A mate of mine recently got a fair for $140 return!!! Bastard. Another mate bought 2 seats for himself which was still cheaper than a major airline.

Recently, there have been fares for as little as $699 return (Thai, Malaysian) from Melb, Syd (Emirates), Bris (Royal Brunei).

At the end of the day, you get what you pay for. $525 return is a good deal at the time, and we all know where the savings can be used.

Hi. Im from melb. just booked to go to los in oct. While in kl lcct terminal I am planning to freshin up by using their shower facilities which cost around $5. This will help with jet lag while i am waiting for my connecting flight

Hey thanks for the review, it gives me a good picture of what to expect on my first international AirAsia trip next year. However, I'm not really excited as I booked my connecting flight to BKK something like 5+ hours later to account for possible delays, and if I get to KL as early as you did I'm in for one painful sit at the LCCT (it wouldnt be worth going anywhere else). I just hope they have powerpoints for my laptop at the terminal, so movie watching can chew up the time.

And yes, I got a fair for $120 return with no checked in bags :) I figure I can cram enough shorts + t-shirts for a week into a little bag EASILY and still have some room for other junk.

If you have a long stopover (hours or overnight) there is a cheap, new and clean hotel a 10 minute walk away.

Its called Tune or Tunes. Google it with LCCT and you'll find it.

if you have a layover at kl be very careful at the airport as professional thieves wander the area looking for sleeping or careless fliers to rip off. keep valuables close at hand!

A fan of AIRASIA and I have heard a rumor that direct flights later on in '09 to go from Melbourne to Bangkok- waiting to have this confirmed.

LCCT is not that bad, just be on gaurd and do not eat the Malaysian KFC *Yuck*

TUNE hotel up the road from LCCT is good, just walk passed the food court, the outside one and through the car park, not that far away. No ATM Machine though so get MYR from ATM at Airport first.

Also LCCT has no Chemist when you get out so make sure you have your medicines.

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for the reviews. I was a little worried about flying Air Asia with my flight from Bangkok to Phuket being under $100 r/t, but this seems to be a great budget airline.

Hi

New to posting on the board but been a member for a while.

I flew Air Asia from brisbane to kl May and found it to be good and on time. Have to wait 3 hours at lcct for connection both ways and this was the only drag. Excellent aircraft and crew though and in flight entertainment was ok. Be warned though the same entertainment is available both ways, so if you watch all the shows you are interested in on the way, then get a book for the return as the same programs are shown.

Upgraded to larger seats for return flight and found this much better and more comfortable. Worth the extra dollars if you can efford it. Also noticed at gold coast airport that they offered upgrades to xl for $250 if there were vacant seats. Next time (in August) I will book the xl for the return flight and try to upgrade at the airport as this is cheaper, even though i run the risk of the xl's not being available.

There was a business club available at the lcct but i did not get the details. Waiting in there with the free drinks and nibblies may be benifitial, does anyone know of the details or website available for this?

Edited by aussieg

I've been tempted to fly Air Asia, but I've flown budget before, and Im not really a an of it. I flew Darwin - Singapore with Tiger about 18 months ago, and I wouldn't do it again. I'm a fan of Tiger, and the flight was alright, its just the seating that concerns me and I'm not a big guy! Seats were close together, couldnt recline. Stuff it, if going Overseas, I'll pay abit more and fly Thai, Singapore etc.

To each there own though.

Show me any woman, and I'll show you the bloke thats sick of rooting her!

I've flown with them twice and had problems with them both times.

The first was a flight to Chiang Mai that was delayed by 4 hours (but the flight previous to mine had been cancelled altogether, so God knows how long those passengers had to wait!!!!) It got that bad that, instead of the departure boards showing "delayed" someone had the bright idea to change it to "retimed!!!!! :P )

Second time was to Penang, where the seats were prebooked by me, but when we got to the checkin the seats on boarding passes werent those prebooked, and were handed to me rather sheepishly by the checkin guy.

The one thing that saved them on both flights were the cabin staff........yummy !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Also, if you have to alter any part of your flights the surcharges they apply tend to make the price on a par with non budget airlines, but with the lower serviceand tarmac rushes on domestic flights

Hedonist

No bad grammer or spelling mistakes here !!!!

Its the all new language i have invented called "Typonese"

Copies of the book and DVDs are on sale and are availible at the main desc at the exit sine

I alway`s avoid these budget Airlines. you have to fight for seats, you alway`s seem to pay extra for luggage, you have to pay for your food on board. Ruin Air want to do things like charge customers to use the Toilets.

Men fall in love by their eye`s, woman fall in love by their ear`s.

i have flown with air asia several times, the only problem i have had is the aircraft being ancient old heaps.

later GD

the general and his knights swept through the holy land towards certain victory.........

I alway`s avoid these budget Airlines. you have to fight for seats, you alway`s seem to pay extra for luggage, you have to pay for your food on board. Ruin Air want to do things like charge customers to use the Toilets.

Fight for seats? They are assigned at check-in. :Insanity:

Fight for seats? They are assigned at check-in. :Insanity:

not when i have been on air asia,

later GD

the general and his knights swept through the holy land towards certain victory.........

i have flown with air asia several times, the only problem i have had is the aircraft being ancient old heaps.

later GD

90% of its fleet is less than 3 years old. You're confusing Thai AirAsia with AirAsia.

Edited by filibuster

90% of its fleet is less than 3 years old. You're confusing Thai AirAsia with AirAsia.

if you get on the 737-300s they are rough, i know they have many new A320s.

Well for $491.00 aussie dollars return to BKK via KL isnt a bad price and that includes the 15k up and 20k back luggage for August.

As some1 lese said i can do better things with the extra 2-3 hundred dollras in Patts :Eat_Me:

Christos

<center><embed src="http://www.countdownclockcodes.com/cd/ccc-vacation/show.swf?clickURL=http://www.countdownclockcodes.com/&clickLABEL=MySpace Countdown Clocks&flashLABEL=Countdown Clock Codes&skin=http://www.countdownclockcodes.com/cd/ccc-vacation/skins/9.jpg&text=%0D%0DI%20land%20in%20Pattaya&untilColor=6724095&textColor=0&datesColor=0&year=2009&month=9&day=15&hour=22&minute=15&second=40&x=6&y=77" quality="high" bgcolor="#ffffff" width="300" height="200" name="countdown" align="middle" wmode="transparent" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer" /><br><small><a href="http://www.countdownclockcodes.com/">MySpace Countdown Clocks</a></small></center>

I have flown AA since it began.

Always been good for the money.

My first choice locally.

Now they assign seats

S C

For return flights from Melb for just $240 you just gotta bite the bullet....the savings can be used more productively :8of10Score:

not when i have been on air asia,

later GD

They've been assigning seats for several months now.

if you get on the 737-300s they are rough, i know they have many new A320s.

The 737s have all been binned ......... the last one went today.

Ive flown Perth to KL to Bangkok return 4 times in the last year with Air Asia. Try the XL seats. Well worth it if you like some space. Last trip upgraded my KL to Perth leg at KL when booking in for 500 MYR ( AU $190 ) There are 28 XL seats at the front of plane and ive never seen more than 12 seats occupied. Never had a problem with Air Asia. If you dont select a seat when booking they assign you one. If you check your booking the day before you fly you will see your seat assignment. Have used Tiger to go to Bangkok via Singapore and always selected the seats in the emergency exit for the extra leg room. Next trip im going to fly Bangkok to Perth on Jetstar as you can book an internet fare for about AU$170 one way.

Hope Jetstar are not too bad.

• 1 month later...

I like AA, only had 1 flight canceled and had to wait an extra 2 hours in KL but they send me a voucher as means of compensation.

I picked my own seat, but it appears this may have changed.

Would fly with them any time.

Fight for seats? They are assigned at check-in. :Clap8:

Not on the shorter runs from kl to BK or domestic runs