Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

How long does it take for a Thai to get a passport?

How long does it take? First time passport :P

Edited by KDNG

Depends on where you make it, up to 2 months

The friendly dating site :)

banner.gif

The process is very quick... much faster than the UK... but there's a lot of queuing involved. My wife and her daughter needed passports because I'm taking them to the UK for a family visit.

We went to the passport office underneath the Central shopping plaza at Bang Na. and joined a queue ... about 45 minutes later we got to the desk, where we passed over the forms and supporting paperwork. They gave us a number and said happily " Two Hours".... That was an extreme underestimate. At least five hours passed ,very slowly. Eventually our number came up, and we moved through to the office area where photos were taken, and the paperwork was checked. We paid the fees, and we were given another recipt, and told to return in two days time.

Two days later we arrived, were issued with another number, and waited about one hour for this number to come up... then down to the desk and collect the passports. That's it... take a book, and try and avoid taking young children with you... we had to as the child needed a passport of her own... It's not like the uk where six year old children go on their parents passport... ( Or used to... I'm not sure about the proceedure these days.)

Murg

"I have passed blamelessly through life doing nought but good deeds, and I am beloved by all whose path I have crossed. It is beyond comprehension that anyone could nurture in their hearts hostile feelings for me." Genevive Dieudonne. Vampire. ("Anno Dracula" by Kim Newman)

My GF went once, and they post in to your address, (to save waiting) it took around 4 days. You have to pay a little extra for EMS postage costs.

My wife and I went to the passport office in Bang Na like the Captain above. The only thing we did different was went in the morning when they opened. We were in and out in like an hour, then they mailed it to her and she got it in about two weeks. Wasn't very painful at all. This was only like 4 months ago.

Thanks for the info guys

Does anyone know what documentation has to be brought? Are there forms that have to be filled out beforehand? Would appreciate the info if anyone knows.

“If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enoughâ€

“If we knew what it was we were doing, it would not be called research, would it?â€

Albert Einstein

yep, its quick, my missus's arrived in the mail 3 days after we was in the BangNa office.

When it comes to assembling documentation for anything official... I strongly advise you always to check the relevent Thai government website. With the best will in the world, peaple can be as helpful as they can, and list the documentation that they used... bit they might forget something, and it's always possible that the requirements might change... Far better to be sure. Google it.

"I have passed blamelessly through life doing nought but good deeds, and I am beloved by all whose path I have crossed. It is beyond comprehension that anyone could nurture in their hearts hostile feelings for me." Genevive Dieudonne. Vampire. ("Anno Dracula" by Kim Newman)

In Chiang Mai it took less then a week...I forgot the fees but wasn't much...

No place on the Planet like Pattaya..Don't let your meat loaf

Even in Chayapum it only took a couple of days. But then they sent it to Bang Na, cause that was where her first passport was given out (lost after). So they wanted her to collect it where the original one had been issued.

When it comes to assembling documentation for anything official... I strongly advise you always to check the relevent Thai government website. With the best will in the world, peaple can be as helpful as they can, and list the documentation that they used... bit they might forget something, and it's always possible that the requirements might change... Far better to be sure. Google it.

Agreed, of course I will will get the official requirements, but we all know TiT - the "official" way of doing things and the reality when you actually try to do it are often very different. I was just trying to get as much info as possible, so I don't waste a trip. If anyone does remember what documents they were asked to produce, please post. Thanks.

“If we knew what it was we were doing, it would not be called research, would it?â€

Albert Einstein

I just asked my friend, she went today with her sister to Bang Na. Took an early bus from Pattaya. Sister has a sponsor and will go to Holland soon(different discussion)

She said all they need is their Thai ID card. The passport office takes the photo. 1035 Baht which includes mailing to Issan.Not sure if they have to get it mailed to their 'official' address...I think many of the girls in Pattaya keep their address in their home town.

she also said you can pickup again at the office in 3 days instead of post.

http://www.mfa.go.th/web/474.php

hello KDNG

come in our office here in pattaya and we can do that for in about 3 days.

call me before peter

call 085 39 18 275

She said all they need is their Thai ID card. The passport office takes the photo.

Yep that's what they told us as well. Just the ID card. It just seemed so atypical of Thai bureaucracy that I wanted to get some personal reports before we go try it. Thanks for the post!

Albert Einstein

• 3 weeks later...
hello KDNG

come in our office here in pattaya and we can do that for in about 3 days.

call me before peter

call 085 39 18 275

Hi peter, I was looking at the post and wanted to ask where your office is as my other half needs a passport too. Pm me the details if you can, thanks

babydollsaddict.gif

• 1 month later...

Yep that's what they told us as well. Just the ID card. It just seemed so atypical of Thai bureaucracy that I wanted to get some personal reports before we go try it. Thanks for the post!

So Prak. Have you applied yet? If you did you find the experience? I plan to help my girl when I visit. Though this would be her 2nd passport so I don't know if it's any different. I doubt it. I'll read up on the official website first.

took my mother in law 1 day to get passport done

now that what i call service

• 10 months later...

Very helpful thread, thanks!

Does a Thai need a Visa to go into Cambodia?

yep my wife's was less than a week out in the country. I would imagine quicker in Bangkok

Farang = Walking ATM. TG's push the right buttons and money comes out. PIN = BBBJ

Very helpful thread, thanks!

Does a Thai need a Visa to go into Cambodia?

I read somewhere that Thai's don't need visa's to visit other ASEAN member countries.

Even in Chayapum it only took a couple of days. But then they sent it to Bang Na, cause that was where her first passport was given out (lost after). So they wanted her to collect it where the original one had been issued.

Exactly, my ex collected her passport in Chayapum after 3 days.

BEER: HELPING UGLY PEOPLE HAVE SEX SINCE 3000 B.C.