IGNORED

Bangkok -> Angkor --> Si Saket

keyser

Any other airlines than Bangkok Airways flying Bangkok -> Siem Riep ? Their website says almost 6.000 baht per person any cheaper options?

I want to go to Angkor and figured I would combine it with a trip to Si Saket but is it possible to easily get from Angkor to Si Saket?

Everything I have seen so far is that there is NOTHING to do or see in Si Saket anyone been there and have any info on things worth seeing?

Maybe, just once, someone will call me "sir" without adding, "you're making a scene."

I went to Si Saket a couple of years back (on my own) and would have to agree, there isn't much to do there. I stayed in a rather soulless place in the centre of town, can't remember the name, but I got it out of Lonely Planet. There is one falang place, Frank and Nong's - it is hard to find, but well worth the effort - they were very friendly and the pizza was great. Went to one other pub/bar - The Sugar Pub (?) - live music, friendly drunken Thai blokes and quite a few laydees. Didn't get approached, and couldn't be arsed to go on the hunt.

Contact details for Frank and Nong's:

http://www.pattayapeople.com/Archive/144/Esarn_128.pdf

I hired a taxi for the day and went to see the famous temple on the boder with Cambodia at Preah Vihear. Very spectacular, and well worth the trip. The ownership of this place is disputed between Thailand and Cambodia, and there have been clashes there recently, so I doubt it is open at the moment.

When I was having a meal in the hotel prior to leaving, a young Thai chap kept mithering me and asking if I wanted a girl. I said no, I was just about to leave. Anyway, he wasn't put off, and soon a girl arrived who he proudly presented to me. Only 500 baht he wanted, from memory. I don't particularly like having girls 'pimped' to me, but god, she was hot! Might have been tempted if I wasn't about to catch the train.

Took the sleeper train from Si Saket back to Bangkok, which was excellent. I enjoyed the vist, but doubt I will ever go back.

H.

"I got 99 problems but a bitch ain't one." Jay Z, 99 Problems, The Black Album

Keyser: Don't know shit about SS, But buy a Discovery Airpass on Bangkok Air. You need to buy 3 coupons though. Could fly to PP cheap on AA and take the 'tube of terror' up the Ton Le Sap to SR (or visa versa). You can sit on top of the roof if you're claustrophobic. Cheap and kinda fun, once. Here's the DA link: http://www.bangkokair.com/airpass/index.php?lang=en wj

Edited by wackyjacky

Best kai Yaang (BBQ'd chicken) in Thailand. Last time I was there (15 years ago lol) you could get it from a place near the train station where they served it the traditional way, in a banana leaf!.

ความจริงเป็นสิ่งที่ไม่ตายแต่คนพูดความจริงอาจจะตาย                 

The truth is immortal but people who speak it aren't - Thai proverb

Karl's Thailand - My YouTube Channel

Everything I have seen so far is that there is NOTHING to do or see in Si Saket anyone been there and have any info on things worth seeing?

drove from bangkok to si saket once

made for a nice scenic ride thru the essan countryside

si saket does have a place like hollywood disco... with various acts on stage as people drink and dance around the tables

of course, you can meet and make new friends there as well... and the place gets crowded on the weekends :GoldenSmile1:

Thanks for the info guys :)

Maybe we'll do BKK --> Siam Riep --> Koh Samui --> Pattaya on the discovery pass and then make it to Si Saket later via bus/train.

Going from Siem Riep to Si Saket was just an idea since it appeared pretty close.

Maybe, just once, someone will call me "sir" without adding, "you're making a scene."

Thanks for the info guys :)

Maybe we'll do BKK --> Siam Riep --> Koh Samui --> Pattaya on the discovery pass and then make it to Si Saket later via bus/train.

Going from Siem Riep to Si Saket was just an idea since it appeared pretty close.

Ubon ratchathani (or Surin or Buriram)is not too far away and probably has more to offer the visitor unless you have a particular reason to go to Sisaket

ความจริงเป็นสิ่งที่ไม่ตายแต่คนพูดความจริงอาจจะตาย                 

The truth is immortal but people who speak it aren't - Thai proverb

Karl's Thailand - My YouTube Channel

i have been to si sa ket a couple of times as the wifes family live there

as the other posts suggest there really isnt much to see as its what i call real thailand

but there are many things that make it worth a look if you are passing through and the people were great to me

i found it a complete contrast to pattaya and bangkok and look forward to spending a few days there every year

the 10 hour bus ride from pattaya is a git though