IGNORED

To Tip or not To Tip

walesbkk

do you tip in Thailand and if you do how much do you give if not why don't you tip I only tip the hotel staff because I want a cleaner room and a nice stay at the hotel in the UK we used to say keep the change thank you very much.

Like you spend 450 or Evan 499 bht pay with a 500 bht and thats it keep the change if the bill is 100 bht thats it 100 bht walk away and tip another day.

Lol the monkey in the pic got tipped in bananas :)

Thai___44_.JPG

Thai___44_.JPG

Nearly always give a small tip at least 20 baht for bar drinks with check bin :) the hotel staff I am quite friendly with before checking out would always give the cleaner 500 baht she takes care of my room reception would give 1000 baht between them if they where not taking good care I wouldnt think twice and give them nothing

i would tip bar girls after i pay my checkbin maybe 20-40 baht if they were really nice to me then i would give some maybe 100 baht.

for me always tip, people are more friendly when you tip :)

The life is too short for don't go in Pattaya....

i would tip bar girls after i pay my checkbin maybe 20-40 baht if they were really nice to me then i would give some maybe 100 baht.

I agree. Some women don't really want a drink as they just drink coke and not alcohol. In that case I would give them 100Baht when I leave. Cheaper for me and better commission for her :)

for me always tip, people are more friendly when you tip :Drunk_Party:

True statement.

msg-16802-1244750478.jpg

How to resize your Photo's

I live my life like I type. Fast and with a lot of mistakes. ©

Shoot me an Email

I give 20 baht to the maid at my hotel every other day, just to keep them guessing. At a beer bar I'll usually give less than 15 baht to the girl that was sitting with me.

Otherwise I generally don't tip. When I was hanging with Thai's they would look at me like I was insane if I would leave anything. So I stopped doing it.

20 baht tips are the main rule. Tip 20 for everything.

I tip my GFE a fortune. She doesn't do LT with me, more like FT (fulltime 24 hours, 3 pops/day sometimes). She expects 1000, gets 1200. Ontop of that she gets her 'chores' allowance, like getting the change from picking up the washing (eg, it cost 170, here's 200), or if i'm at a bar an running low on smokes, she'll pick the packet up, look inside an say "me go 7-11", yep, i'll pass 100, she'll get 37baht change from a 4minute trip for a 63baht pack. In return, she has no problem finding 20baht, for the baht bus home or 5baht for the 'hong nam' if i have no 'small baht'.

I compare her cost to that of a LT with a gogo supermodel (600BF 2000LT) an think if i only get one pop at the supermodel, in comparison, my GFE is wicked. No wonder on the last day of 12, i gave her a 3000baht tip. She'd often refuses the 200 baht meal at the restaurant instead, spend 30-60 baht of her money, on her own choice of cart food payed for outta 'her own small money'. I think it's important to let her have her 'own small money' but i allways explain "i pay you only 1000, extra for food and stuff" , an this often ensures good service and generosity from herself. I also explain my budget of 5000 saying, i have 5000, but only wanna spend 4000 daily. OK, i could spend more than that but it's not wise to explain your budget to the GFE.

As for the others. I tip the beach regularly depending upon change. Sometimes 20-60baht. On my last day, 3 of the girls got 100 baht. Thats the beach massage girl, the girl that brings the drinks and 'mama' who runs the joint.

The cleaning lady gets the change. I collect the coin change for her an add a 20 baht note. She'd pick up 50-60baht on Tuesdays an Fridays. The cleaning lady is very important as she's the one that usually gets to go through my room unattended. On the last day i left 150baht+coins. Nothing has gone missing in 3 visits.

As for beerbars an gogo's. It's never less than 20 baht. If i've had many drinks and a fun time, i'll tip the bar/gogo more an make sure the hostess/ lady who's serving gets a personal tip of 20 or 40baht or even 100baht depending. Considering i spent allot of time at the UTOO bar, on my last night i didn't bat an eyelid as i passed a 500baht note to the hostess who looked after me many nights (fook it's just a £10).

I apply the rule for restaurants, 20 baht at least, or 10% on meals over 400 depending upon service.

I allways treat my GFE's bar different. The girls there love to have a bottle of Sangsom, so i'll think nothing off arriving with a 225baht bottle or some food of some degree. Sometimes they've given me a couple of slammers outta the bottle. It's important not to be a cheap charlie at her bar (in my eyes). I allways buy the 'boss' a drink and tip well. Because its a GFE experience, she may not see her bar for several days, so i can't go cheap as the girls have pressre to bring the customers in.

Whislt in Pats, i often look at what some people are tipping in the tray and think "fook, your life most be tight" as i see the coin or two on the tray for several drinks in a gogo.

Tipping is "upto you" an at times i may feel like a LDOP, but then sometime i see a fella chuck 1000bahts worth of ping pongs into the Peppermint girls and that puts me in my place. All i care about is my GFE performing an me being happy, so what you pay is simply upto you......................

ภรรยาไทยต้องà¸à¸²à¸£

I will always leave a small tip unless the sevice has been lousy. Always tip the cleaners at the start of my stay, maybe the porter. In the bar only sometimes if they are really nice. The girls get the majority of my tips if they provide a good service I have no qualms tipping 500 baht [but they have to swallow lol]. I am only a two week millionaire but if I can spread some cheer while having a good time myself, why not? :FYI1:

• 2 weeks later...

Tipping in LOS is always beneficial IMHO, it can make you get things faster & easier, personally I feel good also when I place 50-100 bahts for good services.

i used to always tip and possibly still over tip in places but my TG isnt happy with tipping as she says theres already a service charge biult into most checkbins

Just leave them 1 baht and smile nicely........ :wacko:

Thanks Bagwan. I was begining to feel like a cheap charlie.

And Hungry for More!!!!

I always tip no matter what country I'm in. It pisses my wife off especially when the service isn't as good as she thinks it should have been. I always tell her that I've worked for crap wages and lived off of tips, I know what it's like. We came to an understanding, she doesn't tell me how to tip and I don't tell her to mind her own business (ya yoong). Now she just tells me tam jai and leaves it at that.

If you want to tip, then tip. I think it's a personal choice especially here in Thailand. Even if the service is not to the best standards, I always leave a little. They could be having a bad day, I know I had my fair share. Besides, how would you like to put up with some of the farangs you see running around?

What goes around, comes around.

I always tip, nothing big but just enough to get a smile, except the baht bus driver. I don't think theres any need to tip to much because if you give a big tip the Thais will just think your an idiot and the generous gesture will be lost on them.

“Who are you to judge the life I live? I know I'm not perfect -and I don't live to be- but before you start pointing fingers... make sure you hands are clean!”. Bob Marley.

CountdownClockCodes.com

• 4 weeks later...

Hey its cheap as chips out there so tipping is a must and not just for the bar staff. If the service is good tip em

Tip - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

A tip is a payment made to certain service sector workers in addition to the advertised price of the transaction. The amount of a tip is typically calculated as a percentage of the transaction value before applicable taxes.

I almost always leave a tip.... The amount of the tip varies depending on the quality of the service that is provided.

The only time I would not leave at least a 10 % per cent tip is if the service was terrible.

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks Bagwan. I was begining to feel like a cheap charlie.

if the shoe fits......

I always tip no matter what country I'm in. It pisses my wife off especially when the service isn't as good as she thinks it should have been. I always tell her that I've worked for crap wages and lived off of tips, I know what it's like. We came to an understanding, she doesn't tell me how to tip and I don't tell her to mind her own business (ya yoong). Now she just tells me tam jai and leaves it at that.

If you want to tip, then tip. I think it's a personal choice especially here in Thailand. Even if the service is not to the best standards, I always leave a little. They could be having a bad day, I know I had my fair share. Besides, how would you like to put up with some of the farangs you see running around?

What goes around, comes around.

:Eat_Me:

:Question:

your right what goes around comes around bad bob in time!!

You can't take it with you so why not? Nice to be nice....

You can't take it with you so why not? Nice to be nice....

I totally agree. If I am provided service above and beyond what is expected, I always tip. It is my way of recognizing their tireless efforts in making my visit a positive experience...

When I do that, I find it serves a duel purpose. When I either go to that establishment again, Or buy the fruit from the same lady, or even the chicken Kabob from the same Donner cart, The attendent will do his best to provide me with what i want, and you can see the obvious little bit of extra thrown in or on for good measure.

I like to make people happy, and you will never know when they will be there for you and remember you as the falang Jai dee.

I always stay in the same place in Jomtien Beach,and I always have the same villa maid who is the only one who takes care of me.... She knows where everything goes, How I like my bed made, the fragrence i like in the place before she leaves... All my laundry is hung up or folded.... By the time I return from checking in, My Villa looks like I have been there for days. She also packs my bags for me the day before i leave. she is wonderful, and she is tipped commnesurate with the high levle of service that she provides me.... She is left very happy, And I am left not having to worry about anything, Which is worth its weight in Baht

Edited by spankapotomus

The security guys at Pattaya Bay Resort always grab your luggage immediately after you check in at the counter. They take it to your room with you...and always wait for just an extra few seconds.

They're catching us in a GREAT mood because we'd just arrived in town and feeling fabulous. Hence probability of a good tip is sky high. I find myself tipping a higher amout than usual because of my good mood.