Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

Kwaam

Ajay75

I've cracked using this term now but it took a while to get my head around using it so I'd thought I'd post up some information from what I've learnt for anyone whos interested.

I know there are lots of phrases in Thai which have no direct translation but this one (along with the "bpen - to be) are used quite commonly.

Basically it doesnt mean anything on its own but is used a prefix to change a verb or adj to a noun. Here are some examples of extracts from the diaries I have to write for my teacher.

Kwaam + adj = Noun

For using with adjectives it can be just turned into a plain noun.

e.g.

Kwaam aro_y\ koo_ngV fish and chips yuu\ tii^ nayV? – The deliciousness of fish and chips is where?

Tam kwaam sa aad\ = Clean – the cleanliness (to clean)

Taa Na^(my teachers name). ruu/ waa\ puak^ kaoV bpen nak/ rian tii mii kwaam rab\ pid/ choo_b^ laew gor ka yanV, Na^ ja kid/ waa^ puak^ kaoV naa^ soo_n.

If you know that they are conscientious and dilient students, you will think that these students are good to teach.

or it can be used in expressing feelings

Kwaam + verb = Noun Feeling

e.g.

Noo_ng/ ruu/ su_k\ tu_ngV kwaam rak/ tii^ koon mii hay^ kaw/ ruu_V bplaaw\?

Sister know of (feel) loving which you have for her or not?

Kon tii^ mii kwaam rab/ rid\ choo_b noo_y/, tamngaan baa_b\ pomV daay^ may/?

Person that have responsibility little, working like mine can?

Hope this helps.

My understanding of women goes only as far as the pleasures.

-- Michael Caine (Alfie, 1966)

very nice - here's a simple one - kwaam + ngahm (beautiful) = beauty

The way I understand it "kwaam" means "the essence of" - "rayo" is "fast" and "kwaam rayo" is "speed" - the essence of fast .

Edited by barney

What's the point of all of these though? / ^ _ \ etc............ I really don't see what you're trying to say here. just makes it more difficult to understand for me. I'm sure it's meant to be tone indicators, but unless we know the code it means nothing.

What's the point of all of these though? / ^ _ \ etc............ I really don't see what you're trying to say here. just makes it more difficult to understand for me. I'm sure it's meant to be tone indicators, but unless we know the code it means nothing.

In phoenitic Thai these are well known tone markers which are used in books and on the internet.

/ = high

\ = low

^ = falling

V = rising

_ = mid

Clearer now?

My understanding of women goes only as far as the pleasures.

-- Michael Caine (Alfie, 1966)

In phoenitic Thai these are well known tone markers which are used in books and on the internet.

/ = high

\ = low

^ = falling

V = rising

_ = mid

Clearer now?

I understand the markers now, but to me (never having used them) it just makes it more difficult to read/understand. I've pretty much picked my Thai up from speaking to people and listening to a few cds.

Edited by barney

• 1 month later...

kwaam + verb = abstract noun

eg khit = to think

so, kwaam + khit = knowledge

I've also heard kwaam + mao in morlam songs

mao - drunk

so, I guess kwaam mao = drunkenness(?)