IGNORED

airmiles

Guiness

hi all , i have about 20000 airmiles with etihad. please explain how i work out what value they are worth..... or is it as simple as i can travel 20000 miles free of charge??

my last time over i wanted an upgrade on my return, i gave the card to the lady on the desk, she said that i was "entitled, but that the flight was not full and it wasnt worth it"

wos i really entitled to a free flight, can i get one in september??? :Surrender1:

Edited by dellboy

hi all , i have about 20000 airmiles with etihad. please explain how i work out what value they are worth..... or is it as simple as i can travel 20000 miles free of charge??

my last time over i wanted an upgrade on my return, i gave the card to the lady on the desk, she said that i was "entitled, but that the flight was not full and it wasnt worth it"

wos i really entitled to a free flight, can i get one in september??? :Surrender1:

With 20,000 miles you should be up to silver status by now, you need 75,000 miles for a free flight (but you still have to pay the tax, about £200) each time you fly you get about 17,000 miles so it will take you about 3 more trips for a free flight or you can use your miles for an upgrade which I would never do, just ask one of the girls on the plane and save your miles 5555

CLICK ON THE LINK BELOW FOR FULL DETAILS & COSTS

Building A House In The Village

Getting Married In The Village & Bringing Her To The UK

just ask one of the girls on the plane and save your miles 5555

My experience is the flight attendant will never give you an upgrade, they are not authorized. Only the ground staff can do this. Did this happen to you and on which airline?

Edited by mike_asia

My experience is the flight attendant will never give you an upgrade, they are not authorized. Only the ground staff can do this. Did this happen to you and on which airline?

No not me but I have seen people ask for a upgrade and have got it after the plane has taken off

Building A House In The Village

Getting Married In The Village & Bringing Her To The UK

No not me but I have seen people ask for a upgrade and have got it after the plane has taken off

First to hear of this for me unless it is an airline staff that is flying but not working on the flight.

Dude you're tripping. You think the stew has the ability to give up a seat that costs 10 X as much for nada ? Ain't gonna happen my friend ! wj

Dude you're tripping. You think the stew has the ability to give up a seat that costs 10 X as much for nada ? Ain't gonna happen my friend ! wj

You are right. It can happen at checkin or at the gate if you have a high priced ticket or carrier/alliance status or possibly by begging but never on the plane by the in flight staff. Ground staff will sometimes enter the plane on the ground and move someone up to a higher class but never the in flight crew unless it is another crew member.

Cabin staff can under certain circumstances give you a free upgrade.

On a KLM flight from Amsterdam to Bangkok the radio/video controller on my seat, would not lock onto my selected channel.

Told cabin staff of the problem, told no spare seats.

Said "must I sit here for 10+ hours bereft of in-flight entertainment"?

5 minutes later told me to follow her, taken upstairs and given a business class seat. So they can. No air miles deducted or asked for.

Have to add I am platinum elite (The highest) since fly UK to Bangkok every 4 weeks (work offshore)

A return ticket London, Bangkok is 80,000 with KLM or BA.

one way upgrade from economy to Biz is 40,000 with KLM.

But as another poster put, ground staff can do the upgrade.

Tend to leave it until I am in the lounge, then ask the counter staff if it's possible to be placed on the list for an upgrade.

Because economy is alway overbooked, 1 out of 3 flights get upgraded.

So you want to live in Isaan?   Tale of a journey started 1973 with a stepfather, arrive 2004, "Wife in Issan" 2017.......    ..            An unplanned, unknown and unforeseen  journey spanning 51 years ending well  !!

I've .... seen things ..... you people would never believe...............

image.png.6eb5df3c4b99a4189996c2a21d8f14af.png

Cabin staff can under certain circumstances give you a free upgrade.

On a KLM flight from Amsterdam to Bangkok the radio/video controller on my seat, would not lock onto my selected channel.

Told cabin staff of the problem, told no spare seats.

Said "must I sit here for 10+ hours bereft of in-flight entertainment"?

5 minutes later told me to follow her, taken upstairs and given a business class seat. So they can. No air miles deducted or asked for.

Good idea. Next time I will rip the TV out of the seat and then ask for an upgrade. lol.

One time I was asked if I would like a 'downgrade'. NW from BKK-NRT back in the good old days of company biz class flights. Partied all night with Nana Plaza girls at a Karaoke like I always did my last night then showed up at the airport and was upgraded to first since the flight was full, upper deck on a 747 last row. Crashed out and woke up after 4 hours or so with a headache and wanting a cigarette, this was when you could smoke on flights in Asia. Flight attendant said there are no smoking seats in First and I could change my seat with another passenger in biz. She was standing in the galley when I was talking to her then she lit up a smoke. I asked if I could also smoke there and she said NO, only flight attendants could smoke while standing up for safety reasons. Think i have only been on NW once since then

Edited by mike_asia

Ya, stuff like that can happen. Elite status can get you bumped up constantly. On JAL I got bumped to 1st because my seat was broken and there were no more seats in Biz. I ended up the only passenger up there. You're not going to get bumped up cause you smiled at the FA and asked nicely. Exit row's about as much as you can expect. wj