IGNORED

Som Nom Na

ydraw

Which is a more correct translation of "Som Nom Na"

1: Serves you right

2: I'm happy that you're sad

Obviously they can be similar but I've heard both definitions and always wonder which is more correct.

I hear "Som Nom Na" thrown around in many more situations than would make 1) always correct. E.G. Someone trips over and a Thai playfully remarks "Som Nom Na" would suggest number 2, but farangs tend to mostly use it in the "Serves you right" sense.

I think it means closest to #1 but probably means closer to "you get what you deserve".

From what i understand it should only be used as a joke, not used seriously as it will make people angry.

Which is a more correct translation of "Som Nom Na"

1: Serves you right

2: I'm happy that you're sad

Obviously they can be similar but I've heard both definitions and always wonder which is more correct.

I hear "Som Nom Na" thrown around in many more situations than would make 1) always correct. E.G. Someone trips over and a Thai playfully remarks "Som Nom Na" would suggest number 2, but farangs tend to mostly use it in the "Serves you right" sense.

Hopefully, you mean som nam na. :GoldenSmile1:

I would say it's a mixture of the two. Like in english if you were to say to someone "that serves you right" you would generally say it with an air of smugness used in jest.

A bg told me what this means, You had everything and u blew it so piss off.

It is translated to "Unlucky You" most of the time used as a cute little saying to use but only in certain situations. Gotta know when to utilize it. It is amusing to the girls smile when you say it to them in a joking matter.

สมน้ำหน้า

A Thai teacher once told me that it means your action rebounds on you, she didn't know the expression "Serves you right ", but that's what she meant.

It's sarcastic so should only be used as a joke amongst friends.

Chasing girls can be expensive

But it's more expensive if you catch one

It means: That's what you get.

When you do something that isn't quite right or being mean or something to that affect. Example: You are walking down the street with your girl and you are poking fun at her hair or shoes, somthing of that nature. You don't see the utility pole that sits in the middle of the sidewalk and run into it....Sum Num Na (that's what you get for making fun of her)

Kao Jai Mai

One of the few girls I know that is able to translate English & Thai, It's def No.1: Som Nam Na = Serves you right.

It depends on the tone of voice as to how its supposed to be taken. We as falangs tend to forget about tones and emotions in speech with having a highly evolved and descriptive language.

I usually just say it about myself when I'm hungover or when telling a story about something or someone where something unfortunate has happened.

eg. som nom na dtua eeng (serves me right)

Its not taken as malicious by Thais and I've never been pulled up on using it by my teacher.

My understanding of women goes only as far as the pleasures.

-- Michael Caine (Alfie, 1966)