IGNORED

Loads of newbie golf questions...

NYCPete

I'm planning a trip to Pattaya in November (3 weeks) - and want to play 8-10 rounds of golf while I'm there.

Yeah - I know it's a long time ahead - but what can I say, I'm a planner.
Background - I'm 59 years old, divorced and ready to have a great time, I don't know how some of the guys have the stamina I read in trip reports - I'd be delighted with a 40 y.o. spinner on the days I don't play golf (and a nap down by the pool)  - I usually shoot in the low 80s on my local course (I live near NYC) - so would imagine shooting high 80s low 90s there....

Onto my questions -  

1. Should I bring clubs or is there somewhere I can rent decent clubs for 3 weeks (I realize decent is in the eye of the beholder - but anything less that 7-8 years old that aren't rusted up).

2. I know there are golf societies (I see Hemmingway - but they only play twice a week, and I may be looking to play 3-4 times) - any recommendations? Particularly if it's fun, but folks play golf vs just get hammered (and yes I like to get hammered) - but I'm a 3-4 beers on the course kind of guy and get hammered later - I realize some of these have handicap tournaments, and I'm happy to contribute and lower my handicap so I'm not the tourist sandbagger...

3. Where can I store clubs while there? I am assuming at the society - but is it safe if I were to go on a side trip for a week (I may extend my stay to 4 weeks).

4. Are golf balls, gloves etc cheap there or should I bring from the states?

Thanks for all your help - and I'm so glad I found this forum.

• Like 2

@NYC Pete

Nothing wrong with planning, but you will quickly find plans change in Pattaya.  Regarding your questions.

1.       There are places to rent clubs, but if you expect to play well on these courses, having your own clubs is a great benefit. 

2.      There are numerous clubs with different patrons.  Google Travellers’ Rest Golf Group Pattaya and Witherspoon Golf Club Pattaya.  These are my favorites and you can play everyday during peak season if you like.

3.      Both of the above have storage and some current availability.  I store my clubs at Witherspoon in a locker for an annual fee, but shorter durations are available (I got tired of lugging clubs back and forth to the States).  However, I previously left them in open storage for side trips and never had a problem. 

4.      I bring my own balls, gloves, and other accessories because of personal preferences.  You can purchase in Thailand and the quality/price will vary. 

I visit Pattaya/Philippines to play golf 2-3 times a year for 4-5 weeks at a time.  Maybe I’ll see you in November.  Hit’em straight.

@NYCPete Great questions mate…nothing wrong with planning ahead.

Clubs: Either bring your own clubs or rent. Clubs can be stored at any of the societies…some societies might also have a spare set you can borrow. The likes of Thaigerline golf rent clubs (500-1000 daily).IMG_3600.thumb.jpeg.a6a459d85bd43ef79e19abe74f095f7f.jpeg

Societies: I’ve been out with many and would recommend both Thaigerline on soi Choiapoon/Pothole (which I used to be with) or my new preference which is the Golden Ferret on soi New Plaza…nice guys and very well organised. Cost at Ferret is between 2,700-5,000 depending on course (including full breakfast, transport, prize money and beer apres golf).

IMG_3479.jpeg.62b8e21c8672f9a1225f19eb62135c0e.jpeg

Balls/Gloves: Used balls are cheap as chips and a decent glove say 500+.

I am in Pattaya one week in 6 and will definitely be there in November, feel free to hit me up nearer the time and we can have a game. 

• Like 2

Thanks for the info - I think I'll bring my clubs....

@LOTTELLEE WINNA - I'll reach out closer to the time when my dates are finalized - to see if we can get out together.

• Like 2

Where are you staying in Pattaya, that might influence answers.

Do you really want to play competitive golf? If not, you could use Witherspoons:

WITHERSPOONS GOLF GROUP

just mark a card. It's more easy-going than the competition crowd.

@penboy - I haven't booked my accommodation.

Amber & Page 10 were towards the top of my list of places to stay - Witherspoons does seem to be a good option - as I'll want a bar I can hang out in and watch sports too.

I don't want the golf to be competitive - as long as it's fun - that's the main thing...

@NYCPete

What are your dates for November??

I am there for a bit of November and will be playing golf so might be able to take you out to some courses if our schedules align 

image.png.6eb5df3c4b99a4189996c2a21d8f14af.png

As for your other questions 

Bring your own clubs 

If you have a favoured ball bring it as well 

As for golf societies I am if the opinion they are a waste of your time. You are on holiday you be better off hiring a car and diving yourself to and from the course or hiring a taxi to drive you to the course. 

Playing with a golf society is an 8-12 hour proposition of your time and when on holiday why waste your time 

For me I just like to have my own sticks I know how they play   and honestly it's hardly a drama bringing them on a plane 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Another decent golf society is the Golf Hub sports bar on Soi buakow . Nearly opposite hotel Debua. Its a new golf society and very well run,and keen prices too. Links golf society also very good on Soi Lenkee ,going out every weekday.

Tuna's idea is also good in hiring a car so you can miss many of the golfing societies and of course our northern tourists.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Durr ,Links is on Soi Buakow ,Travellers Rest golf society is on Soi Lenkee. All have Facebook pages informing you of upcoming dates that month.

• Like 1

The golf societies are fine, for the most part. if you are on holiday and aren’t exactly pressed for time to get back for a work call or anything.

Had a negative experience with the Travellers once, the arguing started on the first green and continued all afternoon. This was during Covid when numbers were very low, so it may be different when there’s a coach load. 

They were having some Ryder Cup competition that seemed very important to a couple of them. 

• Like 1

On 08/06/2024 at 16:30, NYCPete said:

@penboy - I haven't booked my accommodation.

Amber & Page 10 were towards the top of my list of places to stay - Witherspoons does seem to be a good option - as I'll want a bar I can hang out in and watch sports too.

I don't want the golf to be competitive - as long as it's fun - that's the main thing...

My group of friends will also be on Soi 10 if you stay at Page 10, I got 2 golfing buddies with me also going to golf for the first time in Thailand.  They'll try to rent the clubs while there.  We are mostly in the 40s.  First 2ish weeks of November as well, also planning ahead!

Wilson5206 on Bangkok Addicts

Virgin Trip November 15th, 2019 to November 24th, 2019.

• 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)
On 09/06/2024 at 16:40, Tuna Town said:

As for your other questions 

Bring your own clubs 

If you have a favoured ball bring it as well 

As for golf societies I am if the opinion they are a waste of your time. You are on holiday you be better off hiring a car and diving yourself to and from the course or hiring a taxi to drive you to the course. 

Playing with a golf society is an 8-12 hour proposition of your time and when on holiday why waste your time 

I'm of two minds about the golf societies. Yes its a full day, waiting for the buses and large groups can make it a very long day. But many of the guys that started as random single-round pairings have become regular playing partners that I look forward to playing with. It's a nice way to meet people, and I can enjoy the bus rides as it allows for screen time and some downtime from the hustle and bustle of pats.

But yeah, I've gotten picked up and played with buddies away from the societies and its great, but that's years of coming into town and building relationships. I'm not sure id want to be a single and blow into town and go play by myself every day. Back home nothing better than a twilight 9 by myself, but me and some caddy that doesn't speak english waiting behind a Korean 5-some is hell on earth.

Edited by sharpchedder

From my experience most airlines allow 25kg baggage I have a large golf travel bag which I can fit my golf bag and clubs, pack as much as I can in around the sides etc and a small carry on bag with the rest of my stuff in, works a treat, only downside is your bag has to go thro oversize baggage.

I normally play with Travellers very competitive bring your hc certificate or if you’re more casual play Golden Ferret.

Either way you’ll meet some great guys and have a good time.

Since it wasn't mentioned specifically, I'll point out that Tuna Town has started a number of threads featuring his reviews of various golf courses around Pattaya. Doing a search and reading the threads might give you some idea of which courses you'd like to play.

2 hours ago, briguy said:

Since it wasn't mentioned specifically, I'll point out that Tuna Town has started a number of threads featuring his reviews of various golf courses around Pattaya. Doing a search and reading the threads might give you some idea of which courses you'd like to play.

Indeed. Anyone lazy can find most of them like this 

https://forum.pattaya-addicts.com/search/?&q=My day out &type=forums_topic&search_and_or=and&search_in=titles

Posted (edited)

Given the number of games you plan I’d bring my own clubs. Rentals or free ones can vary a lot and being a decent golfer could be quite frustrating. 
The idea of driving is Ok if you have a group of mates to play with. Given your situation I’d be plying with one or 2 societies. They take care of everything, including club storage at most of them.  
Many are competitive and for me that spoils the game. I want to enjoy myself with good company, not be under a microscope of RULES. Wetherspoons are totally not competitive, and groups tend not to be too large as they play 2 courses when number get too high.
Nothing worse than playing with the likes of Links for me. Competitive and 40 or more golfers in November makes for a long day and a lot of hanging around to start. 

Edited by Geordie59

Agree with most of the above inputs and will add a couple of thoughts.

-November 1 starts high season which means prices go up and courses can be more crowded.  Depending on how busy courses are some will hold October prices a bit into November.  If you are flexible I would suggest Sepbember or October.  

-An advantage of golf societies is that they book tee times, provide transportation and can post prices.  If you have been here a few times then doing your own thing is not too hard but for first few times recommend playing with organized groups.  I have played in a number of them and have my favorites.  Most have friendly people and can be a great way to meet others and access good info about many things in Pattaya.  Competitions are ok and just play your game.  Small money so just something to keep you interesting in the round.

-In low season most societies play twice or three times per week so you will probably will play more than one if you want more golf and if you wnat to play specific courses.  Aslo may be influenced by where you are staying for convenience.

-If an avid golfer best to bring your own clubs.  Used balls of good quality are readily available at reasonable prices around town and at the golf courses.  As one of the heavier items I tend to buy them here if weight is an issue.

-You can follow Facebook sites for Links, Pattaya Sports Hub Golf, Bunker Boys, Nadia's, Hemmingways, Golden Ferret, etc. to see where they are playing and get some info about them and their events.

Common sense is not very common.

Hi Pete,

Personally when I go over I play with Travellers, they have lockers where you can leave your clubs to save lugging them around everyday.

They play six days a week and their schedule is on their website, they do have a competition every day but you can opt out and pay a little less. Once you’ve played with them and put three cards in you’ll get a World Handicap.

I always bring my own clubs because clothing is cheap there so you don’t need the kitchen sink, but to cut down on weight I always fill my big coats pockets with golf balls it’s surprising how much 50 golf balls weight (I like hitting my balls into water, trees and OB) 😂

Ive played with Witherspoons who are very friendly, no comp with them.

And finally Golden Ferret Garn who runs it is super friendly they do a comp with nearest the pin on par 3’s

Thanks everyone - I appreciate all of the advice....

Would love to go out with a fourball - but given I'm on my own, makes the most sense to go with one of the groups you recommend - Especially as it'll be effectively hassle free (I realize it'll be a long day - but that may end up saving me $$$ 😀) - I'll be able to check one bag, so using a carry on for my clothes and taking advantage of cheap laundry services seems the way to go.

Another question - looks like I would need to join the Pattaya Sports Club to get discounted rates - I'm assuming this can only be done in person?

Once again thanks for help - I'll be posting updates closer to the dates and would love to join anyone who is around

On 09/07/2024 at 08:13, NYCPete said:

Thanks everyone - I appreciate all of the advice....

Would love to go out with a fourball - but given I'm on my own, makes the most sense to go with one of the groups you recommend - Especially as it'll be effectively hassle free (I realize it'll be a long day - but that may end up saving me $$$ 😀) - I'll be able to check one bag, so using a carry on for my clothes and taking advantage of cheap laundry services seems the way to go.

Another question - looks like I would need to join the Pattaya Sports Club to get discounted rates - I'm assuming this can only be done in person?

Once again thanks for help - I'll be posting updates closer to the dates and would love to join anyone who is around

If you look at courses many will post their rates on their Facebook or Line Accounts 

Joining the PSC will pay for itself in savings 

I don't get how playing with the Golf Bars will save you money

They offer the same rates you will get from the course or with your PSC card

They will just add extra expenses onto your outing with comp fees 

On 01/07/2024 at 13:03, sharpchedder said:

I'm of two minds about the golf societies. Yes its a full day, waiting for the buses and large groups can make it a very long day. But many of the guys that started as random single-round pairings have become regular playing partners that I look forward to playing with. It's a nice way to meet people, and I can enjoy the bus rides as it allows for screen time and some downtime from the hustle and bustle of pats.

But yeah, I've gotten picked up and played with buddies away from the societies and its great, but that's years of coming into town and building relationships. I'm not sure id want to be a single and blow into town and go play by myself every day. Back home nothing better than a twilight 9 by myself, but me and some caddy that doesn't speak english waiting behind a Korean 5-some is hell on earth.

When you are on your own and you get out early you can be around in 2.5 to 3 hours. You ain't held up a lot by Korean 5 balls as a 1 ball you are usually let through