Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

Internet in condo not strong enough for watching live sport or any catchup TV (BBC iPlayer etc)

Shamrock71

I'm no techie but I don't think this is a speed issue (download speed is 50Mbs - which is perfectly fast enough when I'm in the UK), I think its a bandwidth issue (BBC IPlayer error messages says there isn't enough bandwidth for video playback) and anytime I try to watch any live stream for sport it just constantly buffers, impossible to view.

Its an AIS fibre router in the condo but I don' t know what package it is (I've asked the agent to ask the owner or people in the building) but I know it costs 533 baht/month. I don't mind paying more for a better service as long as its got better bandwidth or reliability (and it has to work on a VPN as well, which I know can throttle your speed).  

I just bought a new firestick and was hoping to watch lots of sport and movies, but unless I get a better service, this won't be possible. 

Sound familiar ?    What are my options ?

I was thinking to get that firestick, plug or whatever it is so I could get NFL when it comes back.

Sorry to hear its not so good currently. I might still give it a go though, pretty cheap.

I used to could stream any nfl game (5 years), but not this year, they got that stuff locked down tight or I dont know the free working stream sites.

I can still easily download torrents on Piratebay, but unfortunately most movies now really suck lol.

50 is good so not an internet or bandwidth issue. It's either your VPN or you need to find alternate streams that work better in Thailand. I have 50 mb/s AIS Fibre as well and notice the buffering on streaming can also depend on the time of day, weekend etc.. Sometimes resetting the modem by turning it off and on helps too.

8 hours ago, Billy Shears said:

I've got 3bb and it was mostly perfect until the cables got cut, now I get some buffering especially in the evening.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-68478828

Yes. Might very well have to do with this. Been having issues recently. 

Doesn't seem to be any consistency to it, though. 

• Like 1

image.png.6eb5df3c4b99a4189996c2a21d8f14af.png

On 02/06/2024 at 19:53, Ohyesuare said:

50 is good so not an internet or bandwidth issue. It's either your VPN or you need to find alternate streams that work better in Thailand. I have 50 mb/s AIS Fibre as well and notice the buffering on streaming can also depend on the time of day, weekend etc.. Sometimes resetting the modem by turning it off and on helps too.

It will piss me off big time if its my VPN - I've just subscribed for 2 years - Surfshark - supposed to be one of the decent providers and I've used them before without issues. 

So is there is no superior fibre package that will improve this to the point where any VPN is still going to work ?

21 minutes ago, Shamrock71 said:

if its my VPN - I've just subscribed for 2 years - Surfshark

Very easy to rule out your VPN provider as the cause here.  Some VPN providers provide limited bandwidth trials.  Windscribe does for sure, I used that trial last month and it worked flawlessly (on a limited stream basis as you can't watch much before hitting the cap).  Just download/install the client and you get 2GB per month without any account/email being setup.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm still waiting on an answer about which AIS package I'm on in the Condo. In the meantime, I've been recording multiple speed tests, with multiple tools, at different times of the day, including disconnecting all other devices except the testing device. With the VPN disabled, I'm getting download speeds between 20Mbps and 50 Mbps. With the VPN switched on, I'm getting download speeds between 5 Mbps and 20 Mbps. Even without the VPN, I'm getting at most 50Mbps download speeds. That might sound ok and was okay when I was at home in the UK, but its way way under (90% less) what AIS is supposed to provide for their basic fibre package - which is 500 Mbps. (that's their minimum, they have packages going up to 2 Gbps)

I've learned that buildings (Condos in particular) can slow down your Internet speed but a 90% drop, I just can't accept that.

There has to be a solution here, a workaround or something surely. :Banghead2:

4 hours ago, Shamrock71 said:

With the VPN disabled, I'm getting download speeds between 20Mbps and 50 Mbps. With the VPN switched on, I'm getting download speeds between 5 Mbps and 20 Mbps.

You should probably contact Surfshark about this.  Their web site says they should be compatible with streaming apps (although they recommend you start the VPN before starting the streaming app).  

You should also check for any internet problems that might be impacting your service.  For example, there was a cable cut incident in the Red Sea in March that may not be fully repaired yet.  Surfshark should be able to help you with that data too.

In the interim, you could try downshifting the resolution of what you're attempting to stream.  According to a quick google, 4K video requires 25MB/s to stream reliably and 50Mb/s is recommended.  However, 1080P only requires 5MB/s.  

Other suggestions:

- Make sure nothing else is hogging your bandwidth while you're streaming, e.g. no bar chick is video chatting with her bae while you're trying to toob out. 
- As a subset of that, check to make sure that you can identify all the devices connected to your router.
- If you're using wifi, switch to a wired connection.
- If that's not possible, make sure your wifi channel is not cluttered with other routers, and switch channels if it is.  For this, you'll probably need a wifi analyzer app for your phone.
- Also, if you must use wifi, use your wifi analyzer to check wifi signal strength at your device, and try changing the position or angle of the wifi router antenna.

Good luck.

Working at getting laid in Pattaya is like working at drowning at the bottom of the ocean.  If you want to get the most out of Pattaya, take the chicks for granted, and enjoy life like you would on any other holiday.