IGNORED

Where/When to get money exhanged?

R-KivE

Heading to Thailand at the end of May and was wondering if I should get my money exchanged into cash, travellers cheques or take a CC.

Also what is the ex rate doing at the moment?

gk9qT.png

a lot of people are taking travellers cheques for short trips

no harm to have a second cash source incase something goes pearshaped.. :rolleyes:

I have a Problem..... I just can't decide if its a good problem or a bad problem...

repeat after me do not ever, ever change money in the UK as the rate is soooooo shit, wait till you land in thailand, you will get a good rate at airport, its about 51/52 at mo and about 46/47 in the UK, every bhat helps.

I take cash and credit card.....if your planing other trips in future it may pay you to open a thai bank account to put any surplus in when you leave, i opened a account with passport and tel number of hotel, easy peasy :rolleyes:

1can

So are there better rates in thailand? wheres a reliable place to get money exchanged? banks?

gk9qT.png

Any of the banks, as well as the bank money exchange stations you see. They will give you a better rate on the street, then you will see on xe.com. TC's they were giving higher exchange rates for TC's on the dollar, but some places are giving same as cash now, although that varies a lot with the currencies, UK you will get better for TC's.

Keep in mind also, you are paying a fee per TC that you cash, so get larger denominations, to help save the 35baht per TC fee. Bring a credit card in case of an emergency, but don't even bother carrying it around with you. I suggest changing the money over during the day as well, not that its any more dangerous at night, but at least you have a chance to head back to your hotel and lock up what you don't plan on spending.

repeat after me do not ever, ever change money in the UK as the rate is soooooo shit, wait till you land in thailand, you will get a good rate at airport, its about 51/52 at mo and about 46/47 in the UK, every bhat helps.

I take cash and credit card.....if your planing other trips in future it may pay you to open a thai bank account to put any surplus in when you leave, i opened a account with passport and tel number of hotel, easy peasy :Good_Job:

1can

i've never found the airport to give good rates! anywhere! better than in your home country yes, but less than away from the airport.

Edited by deadwood

Agreed, airport is horrible usually. But the last time I used them, they were only .20 off of the Thai banks. There are exchange counters all over Pattaya. If you wanted to be as dead on as you can, check their websites simultaneously, and see which one offers the best rates, use that one while in LOS.

it should also be noted that most hotels will change your money, but they will usually give you a shit rate. Only do this in an emergency and only do the bare minimum you will need to survive the night it case you went too crazy ringing the bell or throwing ping pong balls or something, lol.

I will usually walk past a couple of the exchange booths and see who has the better rate, after about 3-4 of them, I go back to the best one. Since many of them are close to each other, it's fairly easy.

Eat. Down. South.

You get the best rate by using your visa card in the ATM's. Be aware some of them is charging a rather large fee now.

You can get a good rate by changing in some of the travel agencies.

A change boot on second road (next to pattaya home video) also gives you a good rate.

Remember you can get a better rate than advertised if you ask for it ;o)

Don't change at the airport. There you get the worst rate ever....

ok thanks for the replies guys,

I will be in thailand for a month so not too sure I want to be carrying large amounts of cash, as Il be backpacking around 4/5 locations.

What would you reccomend? I will have about 1500 GBP for the month,

I was thinking

200 cash to be exchanged in thailand

300 backup in CC account

1000 in travellers cheques?

what would you do in my situation?

ps we wouldnt be staying in high end hotels so securtity/safe might be poor.

gk9qT.png

In Pattaya if you are changing lage sums of cash I think the best rates will be found at

Bank Gold

Soi Rungland

Just east of 3rd Rd traveling away from the beach on South Pattay Rd

Good for changing Baht back to dollars/euros also.

ok thanks for the replies guys,

I will be in thailand for a month so not too sure I want to be carrying large amounts of cash, as Il be backpacking around 4/5 locations.

What would you reccomend? I will have about 1500 GBP for the month,

I was thinking

200 cash to be exchanged in thailand

300 backup in CC account

1000 in travellers cheques?

what would you do in my situation?

ps we wouldnt be staying in high end hotels so securtity/safe might be poor.

If only 1500 I would take it all in cash

and cc for backup

Better to be daring and cool, than timid and uncool! Life's journey is not about arriving at your gravesite in a well preserved condition, but rather dropping into it in a long sideways skid, totally worn out, and shouting "Holy Shit...What a ride" - Indian Larry

In Pattaya if you are changing lage sums of cash I think the best rates will be found at

Bank Gold

Soi Rungland

Just east of 3rd Rd traveling away from the beach on South Pattay Rd

Good for changing Baht back to dollars/euros also.

the best i have found is the travel agent across from tonys disco on Walking Street. If you are changing a decent amount they will give you a better rate then they have posted....if you know the currency has moved they will look it up online.......

you could bring highest denomination tc's to beat the stamp fee and get a better rate than cash. i always carry cash and just keep it in a money belt on my person. even backpacker guest houses will often have a security box on premises.