IGNORED

Human Swine Influenza

bgtourist

Q: What is swine flu?

A: Influenza is a virus that infects people, birds, pigs and other animals such as ferrets. Swine flu, or swine influenza, is a form of the virus that normally infects pigs. There are many forms of flu, and the different varieties have the ability to exchange genes with one another. The form of flu that originated in Mexico is a genetic mixture of viruses that have been seen in pigs, birds and people. It’s being called a swine flu because the overall structure of the virus is of the type that affects pigs, said Keiji Fukuda, a WHO official.

Q: How do people catch swine flu?

A: Studies are ongoing about how this particular swine flu is transmitted. Flu is generally transmitted through the respiratory tract. Droplets of infected body fluids may carry flu when people cough or sneeze. Studies indicate that masks called N95 respirators, when properly used, filter germs from the breath and hamper the spread of flu. Neither contact with pigs nor eating pork has been linked to the spread of the flu, Fukuda said today. Still, health researchers are working to establish that the virus is spreading from person-to-person.

Q: What are the symptoms of swine flu?

A: About one to four days usually elapse between the time a person is infected and the onset of symptoms. Influenza normally causes symptoms such as coughing, sneezing, headaches and body aches, fever, chills, and sometimes vomiting and diarrhea. Swine flu causes the same symptoms, and may be difficult to distinguish from other strains of flu and respiratory illnesses. Severe cases of flu that lead to death are normally seen in very young and very old people whose immune systems are too weak to fight off the virus. Adults with severe illness may also have difficulty breathing, dizziness, confusion, or severe vomiting and diarrhea.

Q: Why are health officials concerned about the outbreak of swine flu?

A: When flu viruses mix their genes with one another, they can take on new forms. New flu viruses are harder for the immune system to defend against. With little or no opposition from the immune system, they can grow quickly and invade many tissues and organs. They may also set off a harmful immune overreaction in the body, called a “cytokine storm,” that may be lethal in itself. The swine flu virus from Mexico may have the ability to spread quickly and kill people, possibly causing a worldwide pandemic, according to the WHO. Researchers are conducting studies to determine how easily the virus spreads in people and how dangerous it is.

Q: What’s a flu pandemic?

A: Flu pandemics occur when new influenza viruses emerge that spread quickly and few people have immunity to them. While influenza viruses were only discovered about a century ago, researchers believe flu pandemics hit about twice or three times each century. Some pandemics are relatively mild, killing just a few million people globally. The most severe flu pandemic on record was the 1918 Spanish Flu, and researchers estimate it killed about 50 million people around the world.

Q: How else can I protect myself from swine flu?

A: Personal hygiene measures, such as avoiding people who are coughing or sneezing and frequent hand-washing, may prevent flu infection. Those who aren’t health professionals should avoid contact with sick people, or those who are coughing or sneezing. People who get sick with flu symptoms should stay home. Studies have suggested that closing schools, theaters, and canceling gatherings in the early stages of a pandemic can limit its spread. Such measures would likely take place if health officials determine that the virus is spreading quickly enough and is deadly enough to cause a pandemic. :Fuck_Knows:

Source: bloomberg

Believe me this is a non-story.

Classic case of the media super hyping something and the dumb masses swallowing it up as if it's gospel.

Look how the media over-reacted to SARs and what actually happened.

And the reason why all the health agencies are giving these big time alerts is 1) they've been panicking like most fools and b) if they don't say 'it's very serious' and it turns out to be serious then they're in trouble. But WHEN it turns out to be a non-problem (remind me please how many people have died from it versus the global population as a percentage, you're allowed to use up to 20 decimal points) they'll say'yes, but better to be safe than sorry'.

So again, look for the agenda and you'll all see you're being played like mark pricks (well, the ones who believe this is a serious problem).

Classic case of the media super hyping something and the dumb masses swallowing it up as if it's gospel.

And the reason why all the health agencies are giving these big time alerts is 1) they've been panicking like most fools and b) if they don't say 'it's very serious' and it turns out to be serious then they're in trouble. But WHEN it turns out to be a non-problem (remind me please how many people have died from it versus the global population as a percentage, you're allowed to use up to 20 decimal points) they'll say'yes, but better to be safe than sorry'.

So again, look for the agenda and you'll all see you're being played like mark pricks (well, the ones who believe this is a serious problem).

I wouldnt panic but a level 6 pandemic level is pretty high. the fact that as of today we have to quarantine all north american expats coming to asia for 72 hours before sending them offshore (drilling rigs) would say this is more than some conspiracy I would say

and your expertise is?????

Better to be daring and cool, than timid and uncool! Life's journey is not about arriving at your gravesite in a well preserved condition, but rather dropping into it in a long sideways skid, totally worn out, and shouting "Holy Shit...What a ride" - Indian Larry

IMHO the WHO is upgrading the level as it is a good opportunity to get countries to get their act together for the future. Better to have a trial run with something not nearly as serious as it could be. Iron out the kinks and all.

Just my take on it.

bolly

What... service... may I do you? Hmmm? You know I demand payment.--- I brought payment. Look! BAM!! An undead monkey! Top that!

2A2A2C5401C889635E9B5481680DBAF6.png

babydollsaddict.gif

"believe me this is a non story". and why my friend should anyone believe you? your credentials besides being an instant naysayer are what? none of the dumb masses here have said this virus is a major anything yet but as gator said it has been upgraded to a level 6 alert which is no laughing matter. i was in mexico just this morning. i wore no face mask or felt endangered but i did sanitize my hands a couple times. for anyone to shriek that this is the next plague is no sillier than for you to immediately say this is a non story. it is a FACT that over 100 people died in less than 5 days in mexico from this non story. in todays society viruses like this have the potential of travelling extremely quickly.the only person in the u.s. to die so far was airlifted to houston from brownsville where i also was this morning. of course media and governments overreact to these types of things but wouldn't it be criminally negligent to underreact? the mexican gov't reacted very slowly and ineptly and look what happened. high governmental alerts do nothing but put available assets in place should they be needed. noone here is attacking anyone for fear they may have the virus like they did in the Philippines during the sars scare. actually noone here is changing anything except maybe washing our hands as if we were asians.

Edited by deadwood

This might be food for thought. There's a us marine in the bar at the moment. He's pissed off, He's due to fly back to Iran in a few days. He's just checked with his airline to confirm his flight is still ok like the majority of us have to now, only to be informed that Iran are demanding a certificate to say he is clear of swine flu and wont let him enter without one. He's trying to confirm this and is waiting for info from his base. For those due to fly, it might be worth checking out.

Its Official. One of our partners in Club Mirage was due to fly home tonight, He is currently at the airport in Bangkok. They have just told him to go away, he's not allowed out of Thailand anywhere without one.

Edited by mirageclub

This might be food for thought. There's a us marine in the bar at the moment. He's pissed off, He's due to fly back to Iran in a few days. He's just checked with his airline to confirm his flight is still ok like the majority of us have to now, only to be informed that Iran are demanding a certificate to say he is clear of swine flu and wont let him enter without one. He's trying to confirm this and is waiting for info from his base. For those due to fly, it might be worth checking out.

Its Official. One of our partners in Club Mirage was due to fly home tonight, He is currently at the airport in Bangkok. They have just told him to go away, he's not allowed out of Thailand anywhere without one.

what is that about??? thailand has had no cases of swine flu that i know of. that's like not letting me out of the states until i prove i don't have yellow fever. i understand they're manning ports of entry for inspections but keeping people from leaving for fear of them exporting something that hasn't been found in los sounds a little bizarre! i would guess that may be a requirement from his destination country. p.s. i imagine you meant the marine was flying back to iraq.

Edited by deadwood

Update as of this lunch time. To leave Thailand you now need to have a Medical certificate from a hospital no older than six hours to state you dont have swine flu.

I dont think the Thai officials have really thought this one through. The closest hospital is in Bangkok, you have to be at the airport three hours before your flight leaves. so that is already 3 hours off your certificate, then you have to get out of Bangkok and get to the airport. If you manage to do that for a day time flight you're a genius, night time flights should be fairly easy. Imagine getting your certificate during the day, getting stuck in traffic on the way to the airport, getting stuck at the end of check in, only to get to the desk for them to turn round and tell you your certificate is out of time. What do you do then?

I get the feeling Thailand have just jumped on their easy make money quick band wagon.

(yeah I already know it was Iraq the US Marine was flying to not Iran, WTF, Geography isnt a strong subject for me, its hot and sandy and they're all fighting someone so I was close enough, the point I was trying to get across, still ignore it if you want, Just note, they wouldnt let my business partner leave from BKK airport without one)

Edited by mirageclub

Update as of this lunch time. To leave Thailand you now need to have a Medical certificate from a hospital no older than six hours to state you dont have swine flu.

I dont think the Thai officials have really thought this one through. The closest hospital is in Bangkok, you have to be at the airport three hours before your flight leaves. so that is already 3 hours off your certificate, then you have to get out of Bangkok and get to the airport. If you manage to do that for a day time flight you're a genius, night time flights should be fairly easy. Imagine getting your certificate during the day, getting stuck in traffic on the way to the airport, getting stuck at the end of check in, only to get to the desk for them to turn round and tell you your certificate is out of time. What do you do then?

I get the feeling Thailand have just jumped on their easy make money quick band wagon.

(yeah I already know it was Iraq the US Marine was flying to not Iran, WTF, Geography isnt a strong subject for me, its hot and sandy and they're all fighting someone so I was close enough, the point I was trying to get across, still ignore it if you want, Just note, they wouldnt let my business partner leave from BKK airport without one)

i was never ignoring or diminishing your post, i simply found it ridiculous for the authorities to do this. does this pertain to all tourists or only thai residents?

swine flu is coming from mexico .....americans are getting it while staying in mexico on holiday.... i doubt it will reach thailand. unless an american travels directly from mexico to thailand which is highly unlikely. he would probably return home to the states first and get sick there. then there would be no traveling

Edited by mikey1313

swine flu is coming from mexico .....americans are getting it while staying in mexico on holiday.... i doubt it will reach thailand. unless an american travels directly from mexico to thailand which is highly unlikely. he would probably return home to the states first and get sick there. then there would be no traveling

it's already in china, korea, and new zealand not to mention europe, the middle east, and central america but you don't think it will arrive in thailand? why is that? the encouraging thing is that cases outside of mexico have been not nearly as virulent as the virus in mexico was. yet two people in the u.s., both within miles of me, have died. however they both had chronic health problems prior to being infected. it will be interesting to see if there's an upsurge of cases come the regular flu season. que sera sera!

it's already in china, korea, and new zealand not to mention europe, the middle east, and central america but you don't think it will arrive in thailand? why is that? the encouraging thing is that cases outside of mexico have been not nearly as virulent as the virus in mexico was. yet two people in the u.s., both within miles of me, have died. however they both had chronic health problems prior to being infected. it will be interesting to see if there's an upsurge of cases come the regular flu season. que sera sera!

i stand corrected......just trying to be optimistic i guess :GoldenSmile1:

Edited by mikey1313

"believe me this is a non story". and why my friend should anyone believe you? your credentials besides being an instant naysayer are what? none of the dumb masses here have said this virus is a major anything yet but as gator said it has been upgraded to a level 6 alert which is no laughing matter. i was in mexico just this morning. i wore no face mask or felt endangered but i did sanitize my hands a couple times. for anyone to shriek that this is the next plague is no sillier than for you to immediately say this is a non story. it is a FACT that over 100 people died in less than 5 days in mexico from this non story. in todays society viruses like this have the potential of travelling extremely quickly.the only person in the u.s. to die so far was airlifted to houston from brownsville where i also was this morning. of course media and governments overreact to these types of things but wouldn't it be criminally negligent to underreact? the mexican gov't reacted very slowly and ineptly and look what happened. high governmental alerts do nothing but put available assets in place should they be needed. noone here is attacking anyone for fear they may have the virus like they did in the philippines during the sars scare. actually noone here is changing anything except maybe washing our hands as if we were asians.

Where are you getting your information mate? Pattaya News? Confirmed Deaths in Mexico=48 and that is total not in the last 5 days. 53 globally. So how is that a pandemic? Mexico isn't known for its cleanliness nor common sense among the natives about simple hygiene, such as; washing your hands and not coughing on the person next to you. 30,000 plus die from the regular flu alone, that's just in the US. So why should we believe "YOU", slick?

You are simply stirring the pot and adding to the media hype, nonsense. Wash your hands, cover your FU**ing mouth when you cough and drive on.

Edited by johnbaggs

"believe me this is a non story". and why my friend should anyone believe you? your credentials besides being an instant naysayer are what? none of the dumb masses here have said this virus is a major anything yet but as gator said it has been upgraded to a level 6 alert which is no laughing matter. i was in mexico just this morning. i wore no face mask or felt endangered but i did sanitize my hands a couple times. for anyone to shriek that this is the next plague is no sillier than for you to immediately say this is a non story. it is a FACT that over 100 people died in less than 5 days in mexico from this non story. in todays society viruses like this have the potential of travelling extremely quickly.the only person in the u.s. to die so far was airlifted to houston from brownsville where i also was this morning. of course media and governments overreact to these types of things but wouldn't it be criminally negligent to underreact? the mexican gov't reacted very slowly and ineptly and look what happened. high governmental alerts do nothing but put available assets in place should they be needed. noone here is attacking anyone for fear they may have the virus like they did in the philippines during the sars scare. actually noone here is changing anything except maybe washing our hands as if we were asians.

You should believe me because -

a) I'm right, as the recent news has proved, and

b) you should have worked out by now that the media's job is to report the news second and make money first.

So what sells, how about 'a few pig flu deaths reported in some backward country, nothing really to get excited about but we'll keep you informed if things get worse'. Nope, that's not going to sell is it? Nope, that's not going to keep people watching our tv station and selling lots of adverts.

So how about this one to drum up business -

"PIG FLU IS ABOUT TO POSSIBLY DESTROY 30% OF THE WORLD AND EVERYONE IS AT RISK, THAT INCLUDES YOU. STAY TUNED BECAUSE WE'VE GOT ALL THE NEWS AND INTERVIEWS FROM THE WORLD'S TOP EXPERTS WHO ARE ABOUT TO TELL YOU THIS IS REALLY REALLY REALLY SERIOUS. SOME MIGHT ALSO WANT TO CONSIDER KEEPING THEIR CHILDREN AT HOME AS THE KIDDIES ARE THE REAL ONES AT RISK"

There, that should keep 'em coming back for more :Drunk_Party:

And why do the governments over-react and the useless World Health people? Because of the scummy lawyers that's why. If they didn't put out big warnings and pig flu went mad the lawyers would have a good case to bring against the authorities on behalf of the effected.

So, that is why you should all listen to me, not because I'm so great, it's just that I understand how the game works.

Edited by RedRackam

Where are you getting your information mate? Pattaya News? Confirmed Deaths in Mexico=48 and that is total not in the last 5 days. 53 globally. So how is that a pandemic? Mexico isn't known for its cleanliness nor common sense among the natives about simple hygiene, such as; washing your hands and not coughing on the person next to you. 30,000 plus die from the regular flu alone, that's just in the US. So why should we believe "YOU", slick?

You are simply stirring the pot and adding to the media hype, nonsense. Wash your hands, cover your FU**ing mouth when you cough and drive on.

read the posts einstein. nobody said anywhere it was a pandemic or a big deal even. it was a running conversation about what was going on. did the original numbers get adjusted(those came from the associated press btw)? yes. so what? to immediately say it's nothing is as stupid as to call it the plague like i already said. get the burr out of your ass johnboy.

Edited by deadwood

According to a WHO directive to member nations, OTC sales of TAMIFLU are not to be permitted, as wrong use of the same

can result in mutation of the virus and make it resistant to the only known medication.

All suspected cases are to be quarantined and only patients with confirmed swine flu are to be given TAMIFLU.

swine_flu_diagram.jpg

Just another way for the new Obama administration to make the goverment bigger. He is looking for $1,000,000,000 (yes, 1 Billion Dollars!) to tackle the Swine flu "emergency". "Never let a crisis go to waste" is their motto.

1...Regular Flu kills 36,000 people in the USA last year. So far Swine flu has not killed anyone in USA. You dont see USA panicking about regular Flu?

2....Face masks are worthless as they only keep you from getting larger sized "Sneezing" particles. Swine Flu is passed easily with alot smaller particles in the air, of which the masks being handed out in Mexico are WORTHLESS. To be effective you need ventelator style apparatuses.

3...40,000 people are killed each year in car accidents in USA.

4...Swine FLu is easily treatable thru 2-3 different types of drugs such as Tamiflu or other types drugs which is readily availible in USA. Most people who have died from it didnt have access to the simple drugs.

5...Even SARS is easily treatable here in USA. However, get it in other countries that have poor healthcare systems or Goverment mandated health care and your more than likely to die from it.

6...Dont panic. If u get sick take Tamiflu. Overall chances aare very good that you will just get really sick but wont die if you take the drugs within 48 hrs. You have a much better chance of dying from regular Flu or a Car Accident. Keep things in perspective.

Bottom line is that you can and will survive if you take the drugs for treatment. Swine flu isnt a death sentence. Go on with your life and leave the Panic to the media as they are very good at wipping up the hype.

so how it is in Pattaya if you do get the flu, how is their system

re above comment, no worries in Pattaya they have the drugs for x million cases, farangs can get treatment at any major hospital at a price