IGNORED

Human Swine Influenza

bgtourist

human swine influenza , i hope this will be over soon but i'm have have some real good BGfriends in the BGscene and i have already warnt them to be careful, to not go with a "littlebit"sick customer and to wath the news. I think if this enters Patts i would be disaster.

you only have to get within 6ft to catch flu from someone .. i think if it reaches here they will be starting to close borders all over the world, very worrying!

O you who turn the wheel and look to windward, Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.

you only have to get within 6ft to catch flu from someone .. i think if it reaches here they will be starting to close borders all over the world, very worrying!

they didn't close borders for sars or bird flu why would they do it for swine flu? by that time the genie is already out of the bottle. in 2007 thailand starting producing generic tamiflu(oseltamivir) in response to the bird flu scare. at that time they were able to produce 400,000 tablets per day at a cost to public of 70 bht. per tablet. i don't think they would have too hard a time controlling an outbreak. i still remember everyone getting on planes with those stupid $.50 face masks during the sars scare.

So then if this swine flu does spread around the globe( which I hope not!) can you buy Tamiflu medication in Pattaya, and how much is to buy? can someone pop in their local store and ask?

This is one way to boost falling sales figures for the big corporation that makes the Tamiflu medication. You sure its real?

:wub: The world has gone crazy MAD COW DISEASE BIRD FLU NOW SWINE FEVER .Bring back the ELEPHANT MAN :MonkeyFight: or monkey man to cheers us up .Thats if he has not got MONKEYITUS. Birds Cows Pigs been with us for years Or Is it a conspiracy ?

cheers chris :D

Wriggley Tin 1

:001_Sawasdee: The world has gone crazy MAD COW DISEASE BIRD FLU NOW SWINE FEVER .Bring back the ELEPHANT MAN :MonkeyFight: or monkey man to cheers us up .Thats if he has not got MONKEYITUS. Birds Cows Pigs been with us for years Or Is it a conspiracy ?

cheers chris :rolleyes:

Yea I am waiting for buffalo flu, sorry I think that might have happened when people pay for the sick buffalo :Bump: maybe we should go for dog flu, oh I remember that has happened (rabies) so it time for the Cat or is that pussy disease ?

CLICK ON THE LINK BELOW FOR FULL DETAILS & COSTS

Building A House In The Village

CLICK ON THE LINK BELOW FOR FULL DETAILS & COSTS

Getting Married In The Village & Bringing Her To The UK

Just another way for the new Obama administration to make the goverment bigger. He is looking for $1,000,000,000 (yes, 1 Billion Dollars!) to tackle the Swine flu "emergency". "Never let a crisis go to waste" is their motto.

1...Regular Flu kills 36,000 people in the USA last year. So far Swine flu has not killed anyone in USA. You dont see USA panicking about regular Flu?

2....Face masks are worthless as they only keep you from getting larger sized "Sneezing" particles. Swine Flu is passed easily with alot smaller particles in the air, of which the masks being handed out in Mexico are WORTHLESS. To be effective you need ventelator style apparatuses.

3...40,000 people are killed each year in car accidents in USA.

4...Swine FLu is easily treatable thru 2-3 different types of drugs such as Tamiflu or other types drugs which is readily availible in USA. Most people who have died from it didnt have access to the simple drugs.

5...Even SARS is easily treatable here in USA. However, get it in other countries that have poor healthcare systems or Goverment mandated health care and your more than likely to die from it.

6...Dont panic. If u get sick take Tamiflu. Overall chances aare very good that you will just get really sick but wont die if you take the drugs within 48 hrs. You have a much better chance of dying from regular Flu or a Car Accident. Keep things in perspective.

Bottom line is that you can and will survive if you take the drugs for treatment. Swine flu isnt a death sentence. Go on with your life and leave the Panic to the media as they are very good at wipping up the hype.

Edited by SlickMonkey

they didn't close borders for sars or bird flu why would they do it for swine flu? by that time the genie is already out of the bottle. in 2007 thailand starting producing generic tamiflu(oseltamivir) in response to the bird flu scare. at that time they were able to produce 400,000 tablets per day at a cost to public of 70 bht. per tablet. i don't think they would have too hard a time controlling an outbreak. i still remember everyone getting on planes with those stupid $.50 face masks during the sars scare.

Tamiflu is actually ineffective against swine and bird flu.

Better to be daring and cool, than timid and uncool! Life's journey is not about arriving at your gravesite in a well preserved condition, but rather dropping into it in a long sideways skid, totally worn out, and shouting "Holy Shit...What a ride" - Indian Larry

Is there a vaccine?

There is no specific vaccine against this swine flu. Regular seasonal flu vaccine is unlikely to provide protection against this strain. Nevertheless, those who have not had a seasonal flu vaccine should consider doing so.

As a general good health practice, people should make sure all their routine vaccinations are up-to-date. This includes pneumococcal vaccination for certain adults. This vaccine is usually recommended for all people over 65 years old and younger people with serious long-term health problems (heart disease, diabetes, alcoholism, COPD, emphysema, asthma, cancer treatment, HIV/AIDS). This CDC information can help people work with their doctor to decide if vaccination is the right choice for them."

This is from International SOS emergency pandemic site. I cannot give link as it is members only

Better to be daring and cool, than timid and uncool! Life's journey is not about arriving at your gravesite in a well preserved condition, but rather dropping into it in a long sideways skid, totally worn out, and shouting "Holy Shit...What a ride" - Indian Larry

This is one way to boost falling sales figures for the big corporation that makes the Tamiflu medication. You sure its real?

Roche make Tamiflu

Plenty Govt's bought it for Aviav flu H5N1 - it does not work well for H5N1

Relenza from GSK works well with H5N1

Now this Swine Fever is H1N1 - there is no data regarding Tamiflu or Relenza for that.

Tamiflu is actually ineffective against swine and bird flu.

Its actually is EFFECTIVE.

Here is from the CDC website....

How is swine flu treated?

The new swine flu virus is sensitive to the antiviral drugs Tamiflu and Relenza. The CDC recommends those drugs to prevent or treat swine flu; the drugs are most effective when taken within 48 hours of the start of flu symptoms. But not everyone needs those drugs; many of the first people in the U.S. with lab-confirmed swine flu recovered without treatment. The Department of Homeland Security has released 25% of its stockpile of Tamiflu and Relenza to states. Health officials have asked people not to hoard Tamiflu or Relenza.

Its actually is EFFECTIVE.

Here is from the CDC website....

How is swine flu treated?

The new swine flu virus is sensitive to the antiviral drugs Tamiflu and Relenza. The CDC recommends those drugs to prevent or treat swine flu; the drugs are most effective when taken within 48 hours of the start of flu symptoms. But not everyone needs those drugs; many of the first people in the U.S. with lab-confirmed swine flu recovered without treatment. The Department of Homeland Security has released 25% of its stockpile of Tamiflu and Relenza to states. Health officials have asked people not to hoard Tamiflu or Relenza.

Mate that is panic management nothing more

I consult to the oil industry on emergency response and although I am not a medical person I was involved in pandemic preparedness plans for both SARS and Avian flu within the industry and asia region

We gave our people Tamiflu and Relenza to innoculate against human influenza as it would help us identify any outbreak. (everyone is innoculated so therefore if we get some one with flu there is a chance it is avian,ect and not common flu and the alarm bells go off)

During this planning stage I worked with pandemic experts from both WHO and ISOS as well as other medical professionals. I was told and it was documented in the plan that these two drugs can neither prvent bird or swine flu nor treat it

Like I said I am not a medical expert but I was involved with those that are in planning for a very similar situation and this is what they told me and planned on

Cheers

an interesting aside

if this is truly a swine flu, that is exactly what the experts were worried about as there is no treatment

I remember watching one discussion in a documentary where they said it was not if but when and when, when happens it will be like the plague

Not sure where you are reading this but the CDC and WHO are both stating that Tamiflu and Relenza are effective treatments once you get Swine Flu? Matter of fact just about every health website is advocating Tamiflu and Relenza for the treatment of Swine Flu (H1N1).

can you show me a website that isnt advocating this? Im confused.

All seems a bit overhyped to me.

The world is not going to end.

From the WHO website

What about the pandemic risk?

It is likely that most of people, especially those who do not have regular contact with pigs, do not have immunity to swine influenza viruses that can prevent the virus infection. If a swine virus establishes efficient human-to human transmission, it can cause an influenza pandemic. The impact of a pandemic caused by such a virus is difficult to predict: it depends on virulence of the virus, existing immunity among people, cross protection by antibodies acquired from seasonal influenza infection and host factors.

Is there a human vaccine to protect from swine influenza?

There are no vaccines that contain the current swine influenza virus causing illness in humans. It is not known whether current human seasonal influenza vaccines can provide any protection. Influenza viruses change very quickly. It is important to develop a vaccine against the currently circulating virus strain for it to provide maximum protection to the vaccinated people. This is why WHO needs access to as many viruses as possible in order to select the most appropriate candidate vaccine virus.

What drugs are available for treatment?

There are two classes of such medicines, 1) adamantanes (amantadine and remantadine), and 2) inhibitors of influenza neuraminidase (oseltamivir and zanamivir).

Most of the previously reported swine influenza cases recovered fully from the disease without requiring medical attention and without antiviral medicines.

Some influenza viruses develop resistance to the antiviral medicines, limiting the effectiveness of treatment. The viruses obtained from the recent human cases with swine influenza in the United States are sensitive to oselatmivir and zanamivir but resistant to amantadine and remantadine.

Information is insufficient to make recommendation on the use of the antivirals in treatment of swine influenza virus infection. Clinicians have to make decisions based on the clinical and epidemiological assessment and harms and benefit of the treatment of the patient2. For the ongoing outbreak of the swine influenza infection in the United States and Mexico, the national and the local authorities are recommending to use oseltamivir or zanamivir for treatment of the disease based on the virus’s susceptibility profile.

Basically there is no hard science that shows either of these drugs work and this is what the experts I worked with previously stated

I dont want to get in a debate, its up to you mate. getting flu jabs is always a good idea anyway

Just passing on a personal experience from the past, not a weblink

cheers

Edited by Gator001

Just received email with access to locked ISOS site

"It is unknown whether the current seasonal flu vaccine provides any protection against the strain of swine flu currently circulating. However, it is most likely not effective against swine flu. Currently there is no specific vaccine against swine flu A/H1N1. The US CDC is developing the “seed” strain which may be used later to produce a vaccine against this illness. At this stage pandemic planning should proceed with the assumption that the current seasonal flu vaccination will offer no protection. "

i'm getting a little dizzy from all the back and forth on what works and what doesn't. i live 20 miles from the mexican border here in texas. so far texas has identified 6 cases of swine flu but that changes by the hour it seems. what we are talking about is not any swine flu that has presented itself in the past. the present one resposible for hundreds of deaths in mexico has elements of bird, swine, and human flu. the following is from the mayo clinic, one the the world's most highly respected medical institutions:

Question

Swine flu: How serious is the global threat?What's the real story about swine flu? I've heard it's the next global pandemic, but I'm not sure what that means.

Answer

from James M. Steckelberg, M.D.

You're not alone in your confusion about the current swine flu outbreak, which seems to have started in Mexico near the end of the regular 2008-2009 flu season. Since then, the swine flu strain of influenza has also been reported in the United States, Canada and Spain. No one knows whether this particular swine flu will become pandemic — that is, whether it will affect large numbers of people in wide geographic regions.

Swine flu is one of the many type A influenza viruses. It's unusual for humans to catch swine flu, but occasional cases occur, usually in people who have contact with infected pigs. Like other flu viruses, the swine flu virus changes its DNA as it spreads, giving rise to a number of subtypes.

Health officials around the world are concerned about the current swine flu outbreak because:

■It's caused by a new strain of swine flu virus, which means humans haven't had a chance to develop antibodies that could be used to make a vaccine. The new strain is a variant of a recognized swine flu virus — swine influenza virus H1N1. The new form contains DNA sequences from human and avian influenza viruses, as well as from other strains of swine influenza.

■It's spreading rapidly in the hardest-hit areas of Mexico.

■The infection progresses rapidly. In those most severely affected in the Mexican outbreak, potentially fatal respiratory problems developed after less than a week of coughing, aches and fever.

■In Mexico, the death rate is unusually high among those who develop respiratory distress.

In the United States, the same new strain of H1N1 swine influenza has infected some recent visitors to Mexico and their household contacts. So far, the infection has resulted in relatively mild respiratory illnesses in this group.

Why is there such a big difference in severity? One possibility is that the virus mutated to a less dangerous form around the time it showed up in the United States. Another, more sobering possibility is that the severe illness linked to swine flu in Mexico is the result of viral mutations that haven't yet appeared in other countries — but possibly will in time.

Efforts to understand and contain swine flu are under way on a global scale. Until more definitive information is available, the best response for those outside the most affected areas is to:

■Keep tabs on respiratory symptoms. If you or someone in your family develops symptoms suggesting a cold or the flu, be alert for persistent or worsening symptoms, particularly a high fever.

■Stay home if you're sick. If you do have swine flu, you can give it to others starting about 24 hours before you develop symptoms and ending about seven days later.

■Wash your hands thoroughly and frequently. Flu viruses can survive for two hours or longer on surfaces, such as doorknobs and countertops.

■Take extra precautionary measures if you visit or live in an affected area. Travel to Mexico has not been restricted, but some airlines are waiving fees for changing your travel plans.

■If you have a chronic condition, such as asthma or heart disease, it's a good idea to wear a breathing mask when you're out in public in affected areas.

■Be prepared. Ask your health care provider or county health department about infection-control plans in case of a serious swine flu outbreak. The antiviral drugs oseltamivir (Tamiflu) and zanamivir (Relenza) reduce the severity of symptoms.

Yea I am waiting for buffalo flu, sorry I think that might have happened when people pay for the sick buffalo :GoldenSmile1: maybe we should go for dog flu, oh I remember that has happened (rabies) so it time for the Cat or is that pussy disease ?

I am happy to volunteer to assist with any pussies that require some loving. I will at no cost offer said pussies a love injection to help them be happy and of course for them to get better too.

"Virulent swine flu spread to 10 U.S. states from coast to coast Wednesday and swept deeper into Europe"

This is what i read in the news, sorry for my English. I read some articles that say that before somebody is sick he,she is already contagious, so some checks on the airport are not positive.For me this is very scary.But they not know if you become sick when you talk or when you kiss.So this will be the big answer.

I already warnt my BGfriends and most of them dont care, what will happen will happen only 2 on 5 thanked me and will not go with a sick falang and folow the news. One said she will go home when the flu gets to Thailand.

I hope this flu will go over soon but im scared for some of my BGfriends, they are not enough educated and dont have the money to do the right things when its neccesary.

I'm still not enough informed or educated to know what 1 sick falang can do in one week.I hope this never happen....

Maybe im wrong and worry too much for my (not much educated but lovely,nice,intelligent,caring,beautifuland honest) friends............living in a hard world.

Have just received information that an announcement of a rise to pandemic risk level 6 is imminent

The name of this virus is S-OIV

We have been told that all US expats working for us that travel into asia will have to be quarantined for 72 hours before being allowed to go offshore

Edited by Gator001