IGNORED

Self-exiled Aussie dies in Bangkok

noodles

Self-exiled Aussie dies in Bangkok

Australian knocks back help to get out of Thai cell

A Melbourne man who preferred to live in a crowded Bangkok immigration cell rather than return to Australia has died.

Colin Hansch, 61, told Thai authorities he would rather stay in jail than return to Australia, even though he only slept on a mat and received a small serve of rice and soup each day.

"I've not been back to Australia for 30 years. I don't want to go back. I've got nothing to go back to," Mr Hansch said last year.

A spokesman for the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade confirmed Mr Hansch's death in a police hospital in Bangkok.

The spokesman declined to reveal the cause of death.

People who visited him in the detention centre say he probably died from an overdose of prescription medicine.

Mr Hansch, a computer engineer who left Australia decades ago, refused offers by the Australian embassy in Bangkok to issue him a limited Australian travel document to allow him to return to Australia.

It is believed he wanted a passport so he could again leave Australia.

Mr Hansch had been detained at the Immigration Centre in Bangkok, near the Australian embassy, since September 2004.

He was transferred there, supposedly pending deportation, after serving two years in a Bangkok jail for assault causing bodily harm that related to a dispute with a bar girl in the tourist resort city of Pattaya.

There are about 25 Australians among thousands of foreigners being held in Thai jails, most of them for drug related offences.

Nicholas Zemlianski, another elderly prisoner from Melbourne, is believed to be unwell in a prison hospital in Bangkok.

Australia has an agreement with Thailand that allows prisoners there to be transferred to Australian jails but the process is intensely bureaucratic and there have been only a handful of exchanges.

Thai jail versus freedom in Australia and he took the Thai jail.

Very sad story.

RIP

Testicles

• 2 weeks later...
Thai jail versus freedom in Australia and he took the Thai jail.

Very sad story.

RIP

very sad indeed.

on a side note, i dont think australia is that bad or is it? :P

Ary ba ba ba ba ba ba ba ba ba ba

"I kikiyat everything, I never kikiyat boom boom!"

lbfucker.gif

Some tragic life changing ecent must have happened to him in Oz for him to feel this way.

i once knew an aussie in bangkok that stayed at the same cheap guest house as me. he drank himself into oblivion every night it seemed and had the annoying habit of coming downstairs early in the morning and taking the bangkok post to his room. one day we almost came to blows over that habit. over time he was unable to pay his room rent (150 baht per day) and eventually,after a number of months, the owner, who was an incredibly empathetic man, finally had no choice but to tell him he had to leave. after that he stayed around the soi and often i would see him sleeping in doorways. i once saw a man bring him to an AA meeting in bangkok but he didn't stay long. i always wondered what back in australia could be so bad that he would choose to live that life in thailand rather than go back home. i wonder sometimes if he is still alive.