IGNORED

Status report on emergency situation?

Dog Face

Can somebody on the ground in Pattaya give us an update on the atmosphere there in light of the political situation? I suspect that after the ASEAN summit was canceled, Pattaya went back to "normal."

I am supposed to land on 3 May for a week in Pattaya. I am not really worried about Pattaya--there's almost never political trouble there. I'm more worried about Suvarnabhumi Airport staying open and being able to get from/to there without hassle.

The government took steps today to ensure the airport stayed safe. By the images of the army shooting into the crowd today I don't think they are going to get anywhere near the airport.

BTW if it wasn't on TV I would never know anything was going on.

Pattaya Photos Free newbie guide to Pattaya How to get a TG a tourist visa for Australia Pattaya Weather

My moto for 2017: Don't argue with an idiot. Don't argue with.....

Hi Folks,

Here's what the UK Government was advising today on the www.fco.gov.uk website.

A state of emergency has been in force in Bangkok and the surrounding provinces of Nonthaburi, Samut Prakan, Pathumthani, Nakhon Prathom and Ayudhaya since 12 April. Armoured vehicles are deployed in the capital and security forces are attempting to clear the streets. Several violent clashes have occurred between red-shirted supporters of ex-Prime Minister Thaksin and military and police units in central Bangkok and the seaside resort of Pattaya. During the early hours of 13 April, troops used tear gas and fired warning shots at one group of protestors who returned fire. There are reports of some 60-70 injuries. Some shops are closed and red-shirted protestors have blocked several road junctions with makeshift barricades and tanker trucks. This is making travel in some parts of Bangkok difficult. The Lao/Thai border crossing in Nong Chai is closed and there are reports of road blocks in Chiang Mai and Lampang in northern Thailand. Red-shirt leaders have threatened major protests in 50 cities throughout Thailand in the next few days.

<LI>The main Bangkok railway station is closed. However the international airport and the main access road to it remain open. Transit through Bangkok airport has so far been unaffected. Foreigners have not been targeted by the protestors and there are no reports of British citizens being caught up directly in the violence. However, the situation remains volatile and unpredictable with a high risk of further bloodshed. In view of the risk of a further deterioration, British citizens are warned not to travel to Bangkok unless their visit is absolutely essential and to review their travel plans to other parts of Thailand. British residents in Bangkok and other cities affected by the violence are advised to stay indoors and to monitor the media and this travel advice.

The full page of advice is available on

http://www.fco.gov.uk/en/travelling-and-li...eania/thailand/

When the UK Government advises people NOT to travel as above - that will scare many folk off.

Reading this thread it looks like business as usual in Pattaya despite what UK Gov might say.

As many of you are on the spot - what is it really like?

The only thing that would stop me returning would be the closure of the fine horizontal leisure centres. :GoldenSmile1:

Edited by Mr John

I just spoke to BM Mavrick who is currently mongering in Nana and he said he hasnt seen presence of any army or problems in Bangkok :GoldenSmile1:

Every action has an equal and opposite reaction - "it was just the internet.." is not an excuse.

When there was all the trouble last year at the airports and at government house in bkk, i was in bkk and honestly i never saw or heard a damn thing!!

So if you around Nana or Soi cowboy i doubt you will even know anything is going on.

Anyway what the hell is mavrick doing back there again already!!!!

Bloody hell he was only there a while ago.............................lol.

The government took steps today to ensure the airport stayed safe. By the images of the army shooting into the crowd today I don't think they are going to get anywhere near the airport.

BTW if it wasn't on TV I would never know anything was going on.

I hope you're right. Whatever protests happen in Pattaya I don't think will be very disruptive. I'd be shocked at this point, though, if the red shirts don't try something at the airport. If they could overcome 6000 troops and crash the summit, they can cause some ruckus at the airport for sure. I hope the government is serious about keeping them away.

The airport is my #1 concern. Im on day 5 of a 15 day trip. Pattaya is OK...Songkran is in full swing.

Keep the highway and the airport open and everything will be fine.

My main fear is that the airport will be closed or disrupted. I'm due to arrive on May 11. Hopefully, we can get a day by day account for the next several weeks of the situation. I won't cancel this trip unless I have no other choice.