IGNORED

Kidnap in BKK

dream

Thai police arrest their own over kidnapping

April 14, 2007 - 2:10PM

Thai police said on Friday they rescued an American who had been kidnapped and held for ransom for five days by a gang that included at least three policemen.

The alleged abduction ended when a 30-man SWAT team stormed a town house in Bangkok late Thursday and rescued Mark Stephen Hutcherson, 35.

Hutcherson was handcuffed, blindfolded and chained by his right leg to the floor in the house in Bangkok's Lard Prao district, said police Maj. Gen. Jeth Mongkonhati.

He said four suspects, including three policemen and a civilian, were being held on charges of robbery, extortion, illegal detention for ransom, and dereliction of duty. Arrest warrants were issued for four more people, said Jeth.

The kidnappers, claiming to be police, barged into Hutcherson's home, beat him, forced him to hand over $US400,000 ($480,000), and then took him away in handcuffs.

They left a demand with his girlfriend for $US800,000 more, Jeth said. She went to the police and, after checking closed circuit security video at Hutcherson's condominium, they were allegedly able to identify three policemen involved.

Hutcherson had been detained in two different budget hotels before being moved to the house where he was rescued. The victim said he had been deprived of food and water.

He told police he had been involved in the oil and gas business in Texas, and had traveled back and forth to Thailand where he lived in a condominium with his Thai girlfriend, said Jeth.

The newspaper Thai Rath, however, said he was in the import-export business.

Who has $400,000 just lying around the house? You wouldnt be able to withdraw that amount at a Thai bank without giving a fair amount of notice!

Who has $400,000 just lying around the house? You wouldnt be able to withdraw that amount at a Thai bank without giving a fair amount of notice!

I wonder what his pocket was? How did he bring that much cash into the country?

I lost the Great Shopper "Joe"

I started this thread to see what the reaction was to this story.

As on other forums, skeptical commentators questions the poor blokes legality. Mark is a nice guy,but a hard nosed business man, recently he sold his apartment in Phuket and is in the process of aquiring a business in BKK. Anyone whos done business here in LOS knows its easier to bring money in than it is to take it out of the country. There are multiple explainations why he had that cash in the house, but the amusing thing is that comment focus on why he had the cash rather than who else knew about it.

In this case it was the maid of his BKK residence. I wouldnt put this sought of temptation past bank personnel, sales agents, police, lawyers either.

Interesting thread, I can't explain why I wondered how he got money first. My first thought should have been that I was glad that he is ok! BKK does twisted things to your morals!

I can't beleive the people that raided him where so greedy as to try and hostage him for more.

I think everyones reaction to the large sum of cash is, most equate that being on hand with the narcotic trade.

So no big deal on that.

Seems he was way too trusting, I wouldn't let my mum know I had that much in cash at hand.(not that I do anyway)

Not knowing the full details makes it hard.

Hes very lucky they thought they could get more and so didn't just take the 4 and knock him off.

Member since Dec 06.

I wonder how many sick waterbuffalo you could fix with that kind of money?

I wonder how many sick waterbuffalo you could fix with that kind of money?

Only 1, if it's owner could be convincing enough, but it would be fixed up really well.

Only 1, if it's owner could be convincing enough, but it would be fixed up really well.

Man that would have to be one sick waterbuffalo.

The poor thing must have been run over by a tank, chopped up and sold to mcdonalds and now the poor farmer is stood outside the the best vets in LOS with a thousands big macs waiting for farang to send money.

• 4 months later...
I started this thread to see what the reaction was to this story.

As on other forums, skeptical commentators questions the poor blokes legality. Mark is a nice guy,but a hard nosed business man, recently he sold his apartment in Phuket and is in the process of aquiring a business in BKK. Anyone whos done business here in LOS knows its easier to bring money in than it is to take it out of the country. There are multiple explainations why he had that cash in the house, but the amusing thing is that comment focus on why he had the cash rather than who else knew about it.

In this case it was the maid of his BKK residence. I wouldnt put this sought of temptation past bank personnel, sales agents, police, lawyers either.

" As on other forums, skeptical commentators questions the poor blokes legality.

Maybe thats because of a name resemblance?