IGNORED

Travel advice concerning departure from Suvarnabhumi AP 8.30 AM August 2023. BKK - Sydney Thai flight.

G_old

I would appreciate advice from members that have had a flight from Suvarnabhumi AP departing International about 8.30 AM as I am concerned about making the flight.

Should I stay the night before in Pattaya and try to get a very early taxi/private transport to the airport on day of departure ( concerns re vehicle break down/reliability) or am I better off staying in BKK the night prior to departure and get a taxi from the Sukhumvit area.

I would appreciate any advice from BM's that have travelled with a similar situation concerning travel times. 

I am more inclined to stay in BKK the night prior as my hotel check out time is 11.00 AM in Pattaya, meaning I could engage local transport and travel to BKK, having the afternoon and evening in BKK.

Any suggestions would be appreciated including medium price hotel stays around Sukhumvit for the one night.

Finally has anyone used the street side taxi agents for travel from Pattaya to BKK or am I better contacting one of the private carriers mentioned on this site.

After that I should only have to deal with the taxi vultures operating from BKK to the airport unless some one can also offer a better suggestion there.

Thanks in advance.

G_old.

• Confused 1

I leave early as well, usually  I like to be at the airpot 3hrs prior to my flight.

I use nam's Taxi Service they are very good, never been late yet, but if something did go wrong she has back up to get you there.

When I book with her ( she has a group of drivers)  I tell her what time I need to be at the airport and  ask her what time will she pick me up, then she calculates the time need to get you there. 

I will get back to this thread with an email contact for you.

Sounds like you're overthinking things. I'd just book a private taxi from Pattaya to Suvarnabhumi with one of the reputable companies like Nam's and if your flight leaves at 8:30, I'd arrive at the airport 3 hours prior to that.

**Just saw @Harry Brownbasically said the same thing.

Early Taxi's are not an issue. 

My last trip I had car pick me up at 5am to drive me to BKK.  I booked it the day before my flight  I was sent the license of the taxi and was in contact with the dispatcher before the vehicle arrived. 

If it is a concern and you have low risk tolerance, enjoy a night in Bangkok before the flight. 

I've done it both ways. 

There are taxi stations all over Pattaya.  Also several members advertise a few taxi services they have relationships with. 

15 minutes ago, G_old said:

flight from Suvarnabhumi AP departing International about 8.30 AM as I am concerned about making the flight.

Should I stay the night before in Pattaya and try to get a very early taxi/private transport to the airport on day of departure ( concerns re vehicle break down/reliability) or am I better off staying in BKK the night prior to departure and get a taxi from the Sukhumvit area?

I would appreciate any advice from BM's that have travelled with a similar situation concerning travel times. 

Your timing if remaining in Pattaya needs to be:

0500  Depart Pattaya to BKK airport, Nams taxi - click for link, probably under 90 minutes;

0630  Check-in (Some advocate check-in earlier than 2 hours: I do not. Up to you);

0830  Depart 

Probably OK if you can spend the night in bars etc and then sleep in the plane. But would not suit me!

If you stay in a hotel in Sukhumvit area, allow 45-60 minutes to get to airport., so depart hotel 0530.

>medium price hotel stays around Sukhumvit for the one night.

Lots, check Agoda etc.

An alternative is to spend the night in a hotel near the airport. Suvarnabhumi Ville Airport Hotel runs shuttle service; check it is in operation early enough; if not, just short taxi ride.

Some years ago I spent one night on arrival at Grand Come Inn near the airport. Had a soapy massage parlour in-house. Is it still there?

Last few trips from BKK, I departed the Asoke area of Sukhumvit a few minutes before 6:30am for a 9am departure and have had time to spare for a bite at the lounge.  Taxis from this area seem far more amenable to running the meter; closer the nana they always want a flat rate; anything under 400baht plus tolls is good.   Meter fare is usually closer to 350; I typically ask the driver to take a route without the tolls unless I’m expecting traffic.  

As noted above, prepaid car from Pattaya is the way to go, though if you can manage it, the trip via bus to Ekamai is not bad and far less expensive, just a bit more involved, but if you have the time and agility, it works.  

An 8:30am international flight, I would be arriving at the airport by 5:30am (2hrs before is recommended only for domestic flight, its 3hrs for international flights).

I would stay at one of the hotels close by BKK airport on your last night,  so you minimise the travelling required & only have a 5-10min taxi ride to the airport. Many of the hotels provide transfers to the airport, some free, some for a small charge

All in all it looks like a Pattaya departure vs. a sukhmvit or even an airport nearby hotel just adds 1 hour to the experience.

i’d choose to stay in Pattaya. Less aggravations, no need to check in for a less than 24hrs stay elsewhere, no need to handle your luggage twice, find an evening meal and no real more sleeping time.

there is no real big difference in leaving a Pattaya hotel at 5am or a Bangkok one at 6/6.30.  

• Like 2

Back in my younger days, I would have been in the bars till 2am, have sex from 2:30 -4:30am, take a shower, finish packing and catch a taxi. Plenty of time to sleep on the plane and taxi. 

Why waste your last night in Thailand?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, WhiteThai said:

Back in my younger days, I would have been in the bars till 2am, have sex from 2:30 -4:30am, take a shower, finish packing and catch a taxi. Plenty of time to sleep on the plane and taxi. 

Why waste your last night in Thailand?

Or get a good night’s sleep in Pattaya and just have sex on the plane. 

• Haha 1

Thank you to all those that responded. It shows the value of this site. It also allays some of the concerns that I have as an older and not particularly experienced traveller.

I have used Nam's taxi services previously and will likely engage again with plenty of advance notice.

I did consider staying at a hotel near the airport offering transport services but most did not appear much to offer whilst spending the night prior, not that I need much being 71 years of age. Good luck to those old enough to be amused by that latter remark.

I also appreciate the remarks for being on the piss, sex before travel or even on the plane but my tadpoles are now supported by a zimmer frame. I will try and have a few quiet drinks the night before travel in Pattaya and attempt not to get plastered and aim to arrive at the AP 3 hours prior to departure.

I believe I may now be able to take advantage of the AP check in lane at Immigration for 70+ if that exists.

On a prior trip from Sydney to BKK I shared seating with a Thai lady and her young child (Australian residents). On arrival at BKK immigration she invited me to join her in the returning Thai passport holders lane. I had reservations with my OZ passport she tendered with her own but it was accepted by the Immigration officr with a raised eye brow.

Thanks again for all the advice offered.

G-old.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, G_old said:

I believe I may now be able to take advantage of the AP check in lane at Immigration for 70+ if that exists.

It does.

I entered Thailand at BKK Suvarnabhumi in Feb and left early March.

Used fast lane both ways, arrival and departure.

Hint:  web check-in before leaving; it's usually available 48 hours prior. Cuts down the need to get to airport hours before and then sit around bored. Check your airline's web site.

4 hours ago, Bonkabit said:

It does.

I entered Thailand at BKK Suvarnabhumi in Feb and left early March.

Used fast lane both ways, arrival and departure.

Hint:  web check-in before leaving; it's usually available 48 hours prior. Cuts down the need to get to airport hours before and then sit around bored. Check your airline's web site.

Thanks Bonkabit, I will give it a try. I will still prefer to be at the AP three hours prior to departure though.

I usually have a 8am departure international flight. I always stay in Pattaya on the last night. From central Pattaya to BKK it’s 90 minutes. The driver I use picks me up at my condo at 4am.  

Not sure which Airline you are using - and if your ticket is an already booked Return flight? I noticed, that Qantas has now reinstated their 18:30 Departure from Suvarnabhumi to Sydney and that alleviates the early Taxi trip to the Airport? Can use the Airport Bus from Jomtien instead - much more convenient?

Like a few others have said, just leave early from Pattaya to the airport.

I have had flight time that early in the morning in the past.

I just arrange for a car service (Nam's) for a 4:00 AM pick up at the hotel in Pattaya.

Its either leaving for the airport at 4:00 AM from Pattaya or somewhere between 5:00 AM and 5:30 AM from a Bangkok hotel

The last thing I want to do on my last afternoon in Pattaya/Thailand is spend my time packing/traveling to change hotels somewhere else. 

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits"  Albert Einstein.

This thread is making me reconsider my options.

My plan was was to stay near the airport, as I did last time. It reduces risk of something happening during the trip from pattaya, and allows me to sleep a little bit more.

But maybe with fast track as "insurance", it trumps the hassle of checkin-out - checking-in - checking-out in less than 24h, and gives me one more day.

I have one week in pattaya and 1 week to be defined between pattaya and koh samui. Guess now I also have the last night to be define.

This thread is making me reconsider my options.

My plan was was to stay near the airport, as I did last time. It reduces risk of something happening during the trip from pattaya, and allows me to sleep a little bit more.

But maybe with fast track as "insurance", it trumps the hassle of checkin-out - checking-in - checking-out in less than 24h, and gives me one more day.

I have one week in pattaya and 1 week to be defined between pattaya and koh samui. Guess now I also have the last night to be define.